Talk about Shipping Service ...

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Ordered a "small item" from a place called B&H Photo in New York City. They processed the order and so on very quickly BUT shipped it via DHL (domestic). New York City is a 4hr 55minute drive from my front door (about 290 miles). According to damn DHL, I wont get the item until next Monday, the 1st of May!! Seven damn days to travel 290 miles????? You can't be serious!

GmsskTW.jpg
5ck3nvs.jpg

What I think is hilarious is what is written at the bottom of the last image ... I'd hate to see how long it took them if it wasn't "expedited" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The end result of this kind of service (and I use that word extremely loosely) is it is going to cost B&H a customer. I'm sure they don't care if I shop with them or not; but, I wonder how many other current customers will put up with that poor shipping service?

Last edited:
I'm guessing here, but it looks to me like DHL delivers to your local post office, then the post office delivers the "final mile" to your house. UPS has a similar product called UPS Mail Innovations. The courier service simply delivers to your post office who then delivers to your residence.

UPS and DHL make their money serving B2B deliveries. They don't like to deliver 1 package at a time, especially to a residence.

Not sure about DHL, but UPS has things down tighter than a drum... Do you know (in the USA) it is rare to see a UPS truck turning left? They plan their routes so a truck doesn't have to turn left, as that may slow them down, waiting for oncoming traffic before being able to turn. They would rather plan the route so the truck turns right so it has less chance of having to wait while yielding.

I'm guessing here, but it looks to me like DHL delivers to your local post office, then the post office delivers the "final mile" to your house. UPS has a similar product called UPS Mail Innovations. The courier service simply delivers to your post office who then delivers to your residence.

Yep - that's how they do it and once USPS get it - we get it the very next day.
UPS and DHL make their money serving B2B deliveries. They don't like to deliver 1 package at a time, especially to a residence.

Not sure about DHL, but UPS has things down tighter than a drum... Do you know (in the USA) it is rare to see a UPS truck turning left? They plan their routes so a truck doesn't have to turn left, as that may slow them down, waiting for oncoming traffic before being able to turn. They would rather plan the route so the truck turns right so it has less chance of having to wait while yielding.

Wow, I didn't know that but good on them. UPS is pretty good around my way, not quite as good as USPS but still a whole lot better than fedex or dhl :)

Ordered a "small item" from a place called B&H Photo in New York City. They processed the order and so on very quickly BUT shipped it via DHL (domestic). New York City is a 4hr 55minute drive from my front door (about 290 miles). According to damn DHL, I wont get the item until next Monday, the 1st of May!! Seven damn days to travel 290 miles????? You can't be serious!

GmsskTW.jpg
5ck3nvs.jpg

What I think is hilarious is what is written at the bottom of the last image ... I'd hate to see how long it took them if it wasn't "expedited" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The end result of this kind of service (and I use that word extremely loosely) is it is going to cost B&H a customer. I'm sure they don't care if I shop with them or not; but, I wonder how many other current customers will put up with that poor shipping service?
Tony: USPS tracking basically guesses of when the delivery is as the package is not in hand. Check back later today or tomorra. Suspect that the tracking will be updated and you will be happy again.

Later

@ctclibby Hopefully, however, the estimated delivery date was given by DHL, not USPS. Around here, USPS is generally pretty accurate, if anything, they over estimate and we get things a day earlier.

At the nd of the day though - there isn't a damn thing anyone can do about it. Filing a complaint with DHL (or any shipper) goes no where other than the round filing cabinet and it isn't the Retailers fault other than they choose to use a particular carrier. All I know is when B&H used USPS and UPS I would get orders within 3 or 4 days from the time I placed the order. Now it is a week, apparently :(

UPS is great around here even though they have to turn left to get to my place. Chances of oncoming traffic are probably 1 in 5000. I was told by an acquaintance in management at UPS, that they want parcels out of their hands as soon as possible because holding them costs them money. If undelivered, they have to unload them from their trucks and re-sort them at the terminal.

I'm a little surprised that they are using DHL for domestic shipping, as DHL has a fairly small presence in the US versus their international services. As mentioned above, your shipment will be transferred to the USPS for last-mile delivery at some point. Two services, B2B shipping, and living in a small town may be the combination for not-so-fast shipping. It's possible your shipment may have to go through one of the USPS sorting facilities at Binghamton, Scranton, or even North Syracuse to get to your area. Just because you're physically close doesn't mean shipping will be fast, in fact I would probably get something faster here in Minneapolis because it would likely go on a plane for the first leg.

Did you select Super Saver shipping? It does say up to five business days for that, which would be next Monday. But like others have said, see whether it improves on future updates, they may be giving you the worst-case estimate for now.

And although I haven't ordered anything from them in a few years, B&H is a great place for photo equipment and supplies. Any camera geeks, if you're in NYC, their store on 9th Ave. is worth checking out, just a couple blocks from Penn Station.

Tony - I have things delivered to my rural location in Minnesota from Maine and Missouri in two days, and it was not expedited either. I think it has more to do with who is sending it than how it is sent. There is more luck involved as well.

A specific item I can think of right away was a replacement part for my snow thrower. It was the paddles so not what I would call small either. It came in two days, was ordered from Briggs and Stratton ordered from their manufacturers web site. Ordered tuesday morning recieved thursday noon.

Another item came in two days new inner and outer fender for my 1988 Chevrolet Suburban. Ordered Wednesday received Friday same week, was a large and heavy package as well.

Best not be in a hurry when ordering.

Dave

I'm not sure about that Dave - I have another order in with B&H, that was ordered this morning, and it will be here tomorrow via Fedex. Not holding my breathe on that either, but even two days is a big difference to 7 days. So no mate, I don't think it is B&H, I firmly believe it is the carrier DHL.

Okay here’s where my three speakers are at present and where they’ve travelled.
They must think it’s a ping pong ball, might make for a rather long post…

International Transit
Arrived at Facility
CANADA

April 25, 2023, 7:58 pm
Processed Through Facility
CANADA

April 25, 2023, 2:18 pm
Customs Clearance
CANADA

April 25, 2023, 2:18 pm
Processed Through USPS Regional Facility
CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

April 19, 2023, 4:44 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

April 19, 2023, 9:12 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER, UNITED STATES

April 19, 2023, 8:44 am
Accepted at USPS Regional Origin Facility

April 19, 2023, 7:57 am
Arrived Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item
ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL 60007

April 17, 2023, 8:19 pm
Shipping Partner:

April 15, 2023, 3:42 am
Shipping Partner:
Departed Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item
PALATINE, IL 60095

April 15, 2023, 2:27 am
Shipping Partner:
PALATINE, IL 60095

April 14, 2023, 11:04 am
Shipping Partner:
AURORA, IL 60502

April 14, 2023, 9:46 am
Shipping Partner:
AURORA, IL 60502

April 14, 2023, 8:42 am
Shipping Partner:

April 14, 2023, 5:46 am
Shipping Partner:
COLUMBUS, OH 43218

April 14, 2023, 1:32 am
Shipping Partner:
COLUMBUS, OH 43218

April 13, 2023, 8:56 pm
Shipping Partner:
MARION, OH 43302

April 13, 2023, 4:00 pm
Shipping Partner:
MARION, OH 43302

April 13, 2023, 3:34 pm
Shipping Partner:

April 13, 2023, 12:00 pm
Shipping Partner:
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
MARION, OH 43302

There's that dreaded stop over - "Chicago". I know that is where my Hatton's package will ed up too :(

Why in heck there isn't a "Direct" route to a place is beyond me. International stuff has to go through Custom and so forth - that is understandable but why it can't then go directly to the nearest major city of its final destination is completely baffling.

Anyway = hope you get your speakers soon @Rico .

Back