Switch address range?

MikeOwnby

I've been searching the Digitrax site and google for an hour and can't find anything that tells me what the range of available switch addresses are for stationary decoders. I'm trying to plan out how I'm numbering my turnouts so it's not just a random mess, but I don't know what numbers I can actually use! Grrr. Is it 1-128? 256? 999?

Digitrax DCS200 command station and DS52 decoders, in case it makes any difference.

Anyway, if one of you has the knowledge and would enlighten me I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

I'm using three BDL168 and one DS64 stationary decoder. I am using the turnout addresses 1 - 28 so far. I'll be adding another DS64 pretty soon and will extend the address range to 32. These are the numbers that I dial in to the DT402 for remote control of the turnouts.

All right, guys. Maybe I should have made it clear that I know how to program the address to the stationary decoders just fine. That's not the issue. I just need to know what numbers I can actually use. I'm not using signaling and never will, other than just turnout position indicators which will be driven directly off of the DS52's. So if I'm reading this right, any address from 1-999 can be used, correct?

Yes, I believe 1-999 is valid for the ds52. How many turnouts do you have? I would keep it simple staying the lowest numbers possible 1 through whatever.

Actually, I'm trying to keep it simpler by using higher numbers, I just didn't know if I could :)

For instance, 1-49 (actually 1-30 right now) for the mainlines, 50-99 (50-67) for the local tracks, 100-199 for yard turnouts, etc. It progresses clockwise or left to right, depending, and in this way the numbers are a little more organized than just numbering turnouts randomly. Not that I'm ever going to remember all the numbers in the end, but ones I use more often will be a bit easier that way.

As for how many turnouts, that's 47 I've got numbered already on the main & local tracks. It's actually more turnouts than that, but crossovers and reversing sections have two turnouts controlled on one address. Then I've still got industrial sidings, a main yard, two smaller yards and an excursion line. You can see why I need to sort of organize at least SOME kind of system.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for a numbering system I have seven staging tracks, or six turnouts.
I'm using numbers 1-6 for my east staging tracks, and 11-16 for west staging. An inline LED shows which turnout is open or closed. I'll use numbers 21-whatever for the mains.
The first digits will indicate where the switches are.
(Only my mainline switches are powered separate to a local panel)

While as far as I know you can only control turnout addresses 1-999 from the throttle, the LocoNet system can handle (going from memory here) 9999 locos (mobile decoders), 2048 turnouts (stationary decoders), and 4096 feedback sensors.

While as far as I know you can only control turnout addresses 1-999 from the throttle, the LocoNet system can handle (going from memory here) 9999 locos (mobile decoders), 2048 turnouts (stationary decoders), and 4096 feedback sensors.

Thank you for that info. While I may (probably will) take the loconet plunge at some point in the future, I do still want everything to also be accessible from the throttle, so that's good to know.

Thank you for that info. While I may (probably will) take the loconet plunge at some point in the future, I do still want everything to also be accessible from the throttle, so that's good to know.

Nothing prevented Digitrax from supporting the full range of addresses on their handheld throttles since they communicate via LocoNet - although they do not use RailSync.

I would guess Digitrax assumed that being able to control 999 stationary decoders was enough for most folks.

Nothing prevented Digitrax from supporting the full range of addresses on their handheld throttles since they communicate via LocoNet - although they do not use RailSync.

I would guess Digitrax assumed that being able to control 999 stationary decoders was enough for most folks.

Yes, they could have allowed the full address range to be controlled from the throttle. Limiting throttle control to the first 999 was intentional, it was so you would have a range that could ONLY be controlled by computer or other non-throttle devices. For example, if you use computerized dispatching you may not want the engineer to be able to control certain turnouts.

I know for sure that the 256 count is at least accurate, I think other accessories may dictate anything higher. I numbered my turnouts in ranges with room for additions. For example, the lowest level of track has 1-99, while the mid level is 100-199, and the upper level is 200-256. Somewhere in one of my manuals I remember reading a limitation above this, so. I never exceeded this value. Not that I can't go back and reprogram, I have left myself room to expand should I ever need another 200 turnouts.

Jerry, you are correct. My turnouts are controlled by the SE8C.
As far as having 100s of turnouts on a layout, consider the cost to begin with for, lets say just 300 turnouts:
A conservative $10 for the track turnout and $15 for the Tortoise Machine for each. That's $25 right there, time 300 = $7500 and that's not including the wiring.

Jerry, you are correct. My turnouts are controlled by the SE8C.
As far as having 100s of turnouts on a layout, consider the cost to begin with for, lets say just 300 turnouts:
A conservative $10 for the track turnout and $15 for the Tortoise Machine for each. That's $25 right there, time 300 = $7500 and that's not including the wiring.

Well, the wiring is just pennies, but if you know where to buy turnouts for $10, I'm all ears :) Compared to the cost of locomotives and rolling stock, though, that's not even really all that much in the grand scheme of things.

I don't have any plans to actually automate most of the yards at this time, but in the future as the springs on the Peco turnouts fail (as they always eventually do), I'll be able to just slip a tortoise in there rather than having to tear up trackwork and replace the turnout. I'd imagine, though, as I come up with random bits of money to spend I will gradually move toward full automation regardless, it's just not a priority right now. At the moment I need to get motors on turnouts that are difficult to reach manually and that's where I'm starting, but again I wanted to pre-number all the turnouts with a cohesive system rather than just plonking random numbers down at random points.

Here's the layout, in case you were curious, though the random building I plonked down in there have nothing to do with anything anymore. The area inside the descending loop on the blue track is actually a refinery complex now.

layout12x12elevated.jpg

Dang, I used to have a mental image of what track heavy might mean. Now I have an actual drawing of it.

Yeah. As you can tell, I'm not too worried about scenery. I wanted to be able to put a lot of rolling stock on the rails and move a lot of stuff around. I love some of the realistic layouts I've seen, but that just isn't what I was ever going for.

I am building mini dioramas of a sort by placing different industries, but it's not in any way meant to be genuinely realistic. The green "yard" is an auto rack unloading area & I'll have a big parking lot full of automobiles. Various small industries around the orange local track, the aforementioned oil refinery. The maroon is for intermodal with a big container yard. Enough to make it sorta interesting. The purple is a museum & excursion thing so I have half an excuse to run any equipment from any era.

But the main point is to have a LOT of trains and move them in, out and around :)

You know, I really appreciate seeing a track plan like this because it shows the versatility of this hobby. Some people are in it to develop complex scenes and some are in it just for the fun of running trains. I'm jealous of the amount of track you were able to fit into the given space, but I don't envy you when it comes time to clean it all!

You know, I really appreciate seeing a track plan like this because it shows the versatility of this hobby. Some people are in it to develop complex scenes and some are in it just for the fun of running trains. I'm jealous of the amount of track you were able to fit into the given space, but I don't envy you when it comes time to clean it all!

I'm probably sounding like a broken record, but once I put No-Ox on the rails, I haven't had to clean it in well over 1 1/2 years now. It was sometime prior to Christmas before last that I applied it to my mainlines, and I've kept applying it to new track since, and no cleaning has been required except for some unfinished track that went completely unused whatsoever during that time. That's what I'm working on completing now (the orange local line), and I did have to wipe it down vigorously, but just with a dry felt pad.

How are you going to reach all that? How big is the layout?

12' x 12'. To reach a small inner portion of the layout requires crawling under the table to the cutout in the middle. The table's built pretty high, so it's not too bad and I've got foam mats on the floor to save my knees. I have to get in there quite a bit right now for actual construction, but I can reach to pick things up to all but the last foot or so, which means there aren't too many reasons I'd have to go back in there once building is finished. Just the odd derailment in just the wrong place or some other technical difficulty. My trackwork is pretty darn solid, so that shouldn't be an issue too often. I've actually thought of building a big power plant or something on a foam plug to put in the middle once the layout's all done. I can fashion some dangling hooks to hang it on when I do need to remove it for access and it would make the layout look nicer to not have a big hole in the middle.

I had so much benchwork and such around my walls that I just couldn't see putting the layout there and having to do a complete rip-out and re-do of everything, especially since I have power outlets and everything else around the benches. I do have one wall with shelves that I may modify after this part is done, and really do a suburban or even rural leg around there and get into some of the real scenery aspects. I've thought of a line or that would run over and along that wall, then under my big bench (hidden), and come back out to run around the left and top sides of the main layout before heading back into suburbia. I'd have to put one walkthrough, but that's easy enough. So yeah, I'll be building on this guy for a while. And if I get REALLY crazy, I've got a concrete pad I can build another 10x20 room onto :D

When I started this, I wanted something I could tinker with for years. So far it's been something like 3 years at least, and of course unless you're wealthy something like this takes a lot of time to build up the resources for. Looks like I've got quite a few more years to play with the space I've got before I start getting stir crazy. I have all the mainlines done, all the hot pink tracks in the main yard, I'm now working on the local. After that will be getting the museum/excursion line done along with the bottom portion of the main yard with the engine houses. Then it's just filling in the different yards and maybe starting to tinker with the benchwork for the suburban loop as I wait for turnout money to materialize.

Oh, and by the way, I did temporarily assign my latest DS52 to address 515 and 516 when I installed it before changing it back to its permanent 15 and 16 addresses. Worked fine on the 500+ numbers, so I'm assuming it does indeed go all the way up to 999 as I've been told. Again, I know some signaling equipment and so forth uses address ranges above 256, but I don't intend to ever have anything more than turnout position indicators rather than block signaling. If I ever decide it's worth cutting up my rails to put in signaling, I can always go back and re-assign turnout numbers if necessary, but I just can't see it ever happening. I might put in some block signals on that suburban line I was talking about since it will be a fairly simple and straightforward line that's more about scenery than being so track-heavy. Trying to put block signaling in that spaghetti bowl I've created on the main layout would just get ridiculous.

Back