Support the Forum!

Hey Kevin,

At first I thought your keyboard had malfunctioned, then I pasted your comment into Bing and got the internet slang dictionary. They obviously came up with that dictionary for people like me who live sheltered lives.

Roflmbfao!

Hey Everyone!

I was suggesting a book to a new Forum member and I told him about the Forum's bookstore. I let him know a small portion of the purchase through the Forum book store goes to the Forum and the price we pay is the same as if we went straight through Amazon so its a win win situation!

I decided to start this thread because another very experienced Forum member posted that he was unaware of this and would have gladly bought his books through the Forum's book store. I wanted to let everyone know.

The books are organized making it easier to find the book you want and it supports the Forum! It does not cost us a dime and that is good because I spend every available dime I have on trains.

I know most of us buy train books. I know for me reading about trains is almost as fun as playing with my trains!

I have gotten so much out of being a Forum member. It has enhanced my enjoyment and knowledge of this great, but addictive hobby. It has to be the single most important thing I have done since becoming a full time model train junkie.

While I am at I should do something I have should have done long ago, thank you for this Forum and the great people who make the Forum great!

Support your friendly neighborhood Forum and treat yourself to another train book through the forum bookstore. You will be glad you did!

No it's not my vanity driving me to quote myself, I want everyone to support this forum! It's a great place, what better way to support it then buying train books and it won't cost you a penny more then going straight to Amazon!

Louis, good on ya mate! (No I am not Aussie. I was just watching "Finding Nemo" with the kids ;)).

Last edited by a moderator:
Another book offered:
303 Tips for Detailing Model Railroad Scenery and Structures (Model Railroader) for 84$

I will let my copy go for 60$... I am sitting on a fortune in old MRR books.

Hey Jack,

You probably are sitting on some high value books. Anyone can become an Amazon third party seller and asking a reasonable price would more then likely get you some attention.

Do you have a copy of Greenberg's Guide to Lionel HO 1957-1966? I am looking for a copy of that, but I don't want to pay $95 through Amazon.

As you see some Amazon third party sellers ask some crazy prices, but as you know there is a big difference between what you are asking and what you actually selling for. Especially when some sellers are asking over $4000 for a book like the example ZimDalf pointed out. Like the old saying goes, buyer beware!

Just as a point of clarification, the forum does not set prices, the forum book store is mealy a portal to Amazon. The forum only gets a small commission for the books sold to customers going to Amazon through the portal.

G'day Louis , Kevin and all....Good on ya mates and cobbers ....and I am an Aussie...Nemo is a great little movie isn't it ...Support the Forum...I couldn't agree more with Louis. So right.........This is a great forum and deserves support.... Without mentioning it's name , I hope we don't do the same and have slightly over the top censorship like this certain one recently...I think the moderator was a bit precious...on that forum by all accounts....We don't always have to agree on everything because differences and varying opinions are a catalyst for change and improvement on all manna of things...So long as personal insults don't happen or comments are constructive , not vitriolic or sarcastic. which believe has rarely if ever been the case on this forum , and fair moderation continues as it does....we need to support and use this outlet for the great reasons it was created for...To promote and aid the World's Greatest Hobby...cos it is....Cheers Rod...

Guys the statement I made about selling my copy of "303 Tips..." was made tongue in cheek... I would not part with that valuable book for a million... opps there I go again.

Hey Rodney!

We don't have to worry about an over bearing forum administration on here. This forum gives us a lot of latitude and free thinking is encourage by the members. I have only seen one instance of censorship on this forum and it was the correct action to take.

You are absolutely right about some other forums they seem to have an agenda and if you don't conform they delete the thread.

Just another of many reasons to support this forum!

Hey Jack, I know just how you feel about your books, I feel the same about mine.

Okay so at the risk of sounding like a smart-ass... if we date an Asian girl does the forum get anything?
I ask because I believe a click on a link earns a buck or something?
(sorry, I said ass, meant donkey)

You don't have to date her, you only have to click on the link. :)

As for $1 per click? Yeah, I wish! But I do get something, and helps to offset the nearly $400 per month bill I get to keep the place running. (Server fees, bandwidth, software licenses, domain fees... I'll quit now before I add it all up and give up in disgust!)

By the way, please DO NOT click on a whole bunch of links at random. They're smarter than that, and if they see one IP address has clicked on a bunch of links, they figure it's fraud and don't pay for any of them.

Instead, simply click on a link if you're interested in the subject. You'll also find a link to the Amazon bookstore at the bottom of the page, though at the moment it's promoting Audible.com, which is now part of Amazon. If you buy a book, you pay the same exact price, but they give me a small advertising fee. I'm not getting rich here, just trying to offset the costs of running this place. All of the moderators work for free, and do it because they enjoy the hobby. I offered them a profit sharing plan, but when they found out the profits were negative, and I'd be sending them a bill for a portion the server fees, nobody signed up. (Kind of like Obamcare!)

Don't know what to tell you... I'm getting ads for AMC and Merrill Lynch.

Have you been shopping for a mail order bride?

All joking aside, I'm surprised you're getting those. I've got it set to not show most of the more annoying/racy ones. No sound ads, I think I've said no gambling and alcohol ads, etc. No flashing "YOU"RE THE 1 MILLIONTH VISITOR!!!! YOU'VE WON A FREE CAR (Or maybe not...)"

I think you've only got to click onto something by accident to get clobbered with this stuff.

Yep. It looks at what you click, what you search, what sites you visit. Last week a friend asked me "What do you think of the Nikon D3300?" Not having heard of it before, I googled it and visited a couple websites. I've been seeing ads for it ever since, LOL!

You'd be surprised at who's digging around in your puter!
I usually delete my history, cookies, etc. and still get them.

Rico, it doesn't really "dig around in your computer", it only looks at what you do online. Cookies are pretty innocuous, they just use them to figure out subjects you might be interested in. Theoretically they could be used to find stuff out about you, but in practice they do simple stuff like remember your password and track which messages you've already seen. I'm pretty convinced there's no sinister plot involved. :)

With a steady stream of new forum members I thought it was important to repost this.

Hey Everyone!

I was suggesting a book to a new Forum member and I told him about the Forum's bookstore. I let him know a small portion of the purchase through the Forum book store goes to the Forum and the price we pay is the same as if we went straight through Amazon so its a win win situation!

I decided to start this thread because another very experienced Forum member posted that he was unaware of this and would have gladly bought his books through the Forum's book store. I wanted to let everyone know.

The books are organized making it easier to find the book you want and it supports the Forum! It does not cost us a dime and that is good because I spend every available dime I have on trains.

I know most of us buy train books. I know for me reading about trains is almost as fun as playing with my trains!

I have gotten so much out of being a Forum member. It has enhanced my enjoyment and knowledge of this great, but addictive hobby. It has to be the single most important thing I have done since becoming a full time model train junkie.

While I am at I should do something I have should have done long ago, thank you for this Forum and the great people who make the Forum great!

Support your friendly neighborhood Forum and treat yourself to another train book through the forum bookstore. You will be glad you did!

I thought it might be good to dig up this old thread for new members and other who may not have seen it.

My adblock program works really well on this forum. I still get the ad for the bookstore which is great.

Mel

Back