Super GP-30s

Irongrave

Some shots of my super GP-30s one painted into Operation Lifesaver, deturboed
and a bunch of other work. A take off from the BN GP-30 rebuilds

_MG_0739.jpg

_MG_0731.jpg

_MG_0730.jpg

Great job with all those details. Your paint scheme actually makes the GP-30 somewhat attractive. :)

they are ugly but there are enough of them running around rebuilt still so thought i needed a pair for my RR

ugly???!!

I can't think of a better lookin non-cowlbody locomotive anywhere...

What are you guys smoking?!? GP30s are one of the nicest looking engines EMD ever built!

Nice work!

Everybody seems to either love or hate GP30's. The hump was there because the electrical cabinet protruded over the roof of the cab, and GM tried a little automotive style fairing on it. This was back in the days of the ridiculous tailfins on the Cadillac, and the Fugly 1960 Impala.

Everybody seems to either love or hate GP30's. The hump was there because the electrical cabinet protruded over the roof of the cab, and GM tried a little automotive style fairing on it. This was back in the days of the ridiculous tailfins on the Cadillac, and the Fugly 1960 Impala.

That and on later production units the cab was longer on the fireman/brakeman side supposedly to accomodate a third crew member in the cab.

My 2 favorites from EMD are the GP30 and the RS 1325. In a world of cookie cutter Geeps and switchers they are a refreshing change. Just this morning I overheard the shop supervisor of Frankenengines and his foreman discussing plans to build an SD30 or was it an SD30-2? :confused:

Didn't know you were hangin around Fred's today...

We were discussing the cost of acquisition, and what SD frame to use for the swap...

Didn't know you were hangin around Fred's today...

We were discussing the cost of acquisition, and what SD frame to use for the swap...

They're pretty cheap right now so grab one before the Barrett Jackson crowd starts driving the prices up. ;) With an upgrade of this quality an SD35 at least, wouldn't you think?

I think the GP-30 is one fugly unit. However, your work has produced two very nice looking locomotives. Very nice work and very nice looking units.

Thumbs up!!

I say build an SDL-30, run it on some old alco A1A type trucks that would be cool

that's an interesting idea...

I'm thinking of SD-30 snoot noses, run by the Texas & Gulf Coast for transfer coal trains comming off the Virginia & Alleghenny electric lines heading to southern power plants...

Thanks, Smoke, I knew I had seen an SD-30 before somewhere. The onget frame and six wheel trucks add a whole new look to the 30 series. It actually makes the GP-30 into a pretty attractive locomotive.

Back