Suggestions for dividing layout into blocks

Johns HO Final  Layout.jpg

My new layout is 12' x 8'. in HO scale. I have two outer loops with switches to change between. I am wiring for DC control. I'm not sure if I should break the two continuous outer loops into blocks or keep as one each loop. the layout consists of a yard area with a car repair and engine house shown on the lower section. The top section will have some industry sidings as well as on the far left and right. All switches are remote controlled. Your suggested blocks are welcome.

Another question is what size wire should I use to connect each block. The wires will be soldered directly to the track and run back to each block switch at the control panel. I understand that 18AWG is the largest size wire that can be soldered to HO track. Keep in mind I may convert to DCC control at a later time.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated by this beginner. I do have some electrical control experience. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

I am wiring for DC control. I'm not sure if I should break the two continuous outer loops into blocks or keep as one each loop. Your suggested blocks are welcome.
That depends entirely on how many trains you wish to run simultaneously. But if it were mine... Looks like 21 blocks on the main for me. If I've eyeballed this correctly, this would hold 6 trains, 4 moving at a time (which with DC would be a handful). Any reduction reduces the operational possibilities of where trains could meet and/or pass.
blocks.jpg

Another question is what size wire should I use to connect each block. The wires will be soldered directly to the track and run back to each block switch at the control panel.
I would use 20 gauge. Easier to work with than 18.

If it were me personally, I'd wire it temporarily and pay attention to where any voltage drops are happening with an eye to keep everything relatively stable across the track.

But, I'd definitely do like Iron Horseman and make each switch it's own block just for sanity's sake.

Is it necessary to instal a circuit breaker for each block?
That depends entirely on how many trains you wish to run simultaneously. But if it were mine... Looks like 21 blocks on the main for me. If I've eyeballed this correctly, this would hold 6 trains, 4 moving at a time (which with DC would be a handful). Any reduction reduces the operational possibilities of where trains could meet and/or pass.
View attachment 32650

I would use 20 gauge. Easier to work with than 18.

If you are going to set this up for DCC eventually, you could use the Digitrax PM42 or similar products. Using the circuit breakers helps to isolate shorts while keeping the rest of the layout running. The DCC command station that you eventually choose will have built in circuit breaker. If you eventually go to a power management board you will have to set the board up so it breaks the circuit before the command station does.

Back