Sugar Creek and Aurtown: to divide or not to divide

I've been battling with a decision as to whether to use a divider to gain more distance between the two locations. I can fit a mountain between the two locations, but it ends up being more of a ridge than a mountain, it goes up and right back down. That being said, I'm not a big fan of dividers, and especially not in a 10x15 room. I'm concerned that it will make the room hotter than it already is in summer.

Does anyone else have experience with a divider in a small room situation? Does it enhance your layout? Or is it a pain?

Maybe make a temporary view divider out of say foam core board or even corrugated cardboard...it's cheap, light and easy to find. You can test your airflow concerns with a minimum of layout disruption. I have used both in much the same applications....Rich

I went with a divider as it seperates two different levels as well as two types of scenery.
It's not high enough to impede air flow so no worries there.
It is high enough to visually seperate the two areas.

I've been toying with a pull down window shape for a similar application. Mine mostly so I can block the view and still get at things to work on. Maybe in your case it can act as a divider but be drawn up if it gets too stuffy? Just a thought.

On a previous N-scale layout, I used a 1/2-inch extruded (blue) foam divider down the middle of the layout. It worked well but it was a ridge, not a mountain, and I didn't scenic the backside b/c that was just staging / continuous run tracks. Since my benchwork was also foam, I just cut a slot down the middle and slipped the divider in for a press fit.

No problems with airflow but it was only about 18 inches high and the layout was only about 10 feet long and 3 feet wide.

Back