stop the press!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blackz28

no way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://trn.trains.com/en/Railroad%20News/News%20Wire/2012/12/Union%20Pacific%20looking%20to%20restore%20Big%20Boy%20for%20excursion%20service.aspx

Union Pacific studying Big Boy restoration project

Published: December 7, 2012
No. 4014 climbing Wyoming's Sherman Hill on June 25, 1949.
Photo by R.H. Kindig

POMONA, Calif. – Union Pacific may be bringing back the ultimate steam machine, an Alco-built 4-8-8-4 Big Boy, the last of which steamed more than 50 years ago.

Company spokesman Mark Davis told Trains News Wire Friday that the company has been approached by and is working with a third party interested in restoring and operating a Big Boy. He said the railroad is evaluating the condition of preserved UP Big Boy locomotives and that it believes two might be available for restoration. Davis declined to name the other party or give a timeline for the project. But at least one organization is already talking about its potential to put a Big Boy back on the main line.

The treasurer of the Southern California railroad club that owns a displayed Union Pacific Big Boy 4-8-8-4 says his group hopes to learn more Saturday about a UP offer to acquire No. 4014 for restoration and operation.

In an exclusive interview with Trains News Wire, John Mastrobuoni from Prescott, Ariz., said the Southern California Chapter of the Railway & Locomotive Historical Society is eager to find out if the railroad can meet its requirement that a replacement piece take the place of the Big Boy at the Los Angeles County Fairgrounds in Pomona. The engine is one of eight survivors of the 25 locomotives that Alco built beginning in 1941 for freight service between Cheyenne, Wyo., and Ogden, Utah until the last steamed in 1959.

Mastrobuoni said he participated by phone in a meeting Tuesday in which Ed Dickens, who manages UP’s fleet of historic operating steam and diesel equipment, appeared at a chapter meeting in California to pitch the idea. He said Dickens on Saturday is expected to provide more details about what UP would offer and called discussions “preliminary.”

The idea is already controversial, as some board and chapter members consider the Big Boy as the centerpiece of the club’s exhibit. The 4014 was donated to the chapter in 1962. The exhibit also includes a UP DD40X Centennial diesel No. 6915, UP 4-12-2 No. 9000, Southern Pacific 4-10-2 No. 5021, and Santa Fe 4-6-4 No. 3450.

“If we can come to an agreement with the railroad, an operating Big Boy is better than one on display,” Mastrobuoni said. “We’d lose the engine for display, but we’d be known everywhere as the group that helped make one run again.”

He added that rebuilding the No. 4014 would take several years with the aim of operating for the 150th celebration of the completion of the first transcontinental railroad in 2019. The coal-burning engine would be converted to oil firing.

The railroad has not publicly announced plans to expand its operating steam locomotive fleet, which includes the never retired 4-8-4 No. 844, which made an extensive systemwide tour this year for the company’s 150th anniversary of its founding, and 4-6-6-4 No. 3985, which is undergoing a major overhaul.

Contrary to Internet reports that UP has vetted the other seven Big Boys, representatives of the National Railroad Museum in Green Bay, Wis., the Forney Museum of Transportation in Denver, and the Steamtown National Park Service site in Scranton, Pa., said Friday that none have been officially contacted. On its face, the engine in southern California, with its dry climate, would be among the best condition.

In addition to 4014, the following UP Big Boys are still in existence:
4004, in Holliday Park, Cheyenne, Wyo.; 4005, Forney Transportation Museum, Denver, Colo.; 4006, Museum of Transport, St. Louis,Mo.; 4012, Steamtown, Scranton, Pa.; 4017, National Railroad Museum, Green Bay, Wis.; 4018, Museum of the American Railroad, Dallas, Texas; 4023, Kenefick Park, Omaha, Neb.

I only get "subscriber onl content".

I'll take a wild guess and say that it's about Uncle Pete thinking about playing with an operating Big Boy. I read about that on Railwire yesterday.

Do I win a prize?

After I posted my comment, my slow running internet showed everything you had posted. :eek: Oh, well.

Would be something really fantastic.

I bet CA wont allow em to run it there though unless they outfit it with EGR and an exhaust particulate filter...typical CA n their CARB bullsh....

well union pacific has the funds & the program to bring it back but............... i have a feeling it would be a close to home loco, after all bridges & rails have to move or strengthened past certian areas,so im guessing its old running grounds of utah, wyoming, maybe colorado & nebraska,is where it should be confined too, but still this would trumph the NS heritage program , which i have a feeling this is in reponse too , never the less go UP STEAM

It certainly would be quite a fantastic sight to see, I sure hope it happens.
Like many of the Older guys on the forum here we actually saw Steam locos in operation on the different lines. It was quite a sight. The closest I have come recently is to watch the #15 Shay run at the Sugar Pine RR in Fish Camp, Calif.

As far as the restoration, my recently departed buddy, Brian Francis, who worked for the Grand Canyon RR in Williams, AZ. about 70 miles from Prescott, said they had a steam loco that they were restoring which required having the boiler flues redone and that they had to bring in a steam fitter from England to do the work and it was quite costly.

Lets hope the UP Big Boy is restored.

you have to wonder how steve lee feels?? lol im sure hes thrilled at the idea !!!

can you imagine challenger & big boy doubleheading a container freight across wyoming!! :eek::eek::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
The coal-burning engine would be converted to oil firing.
That was tried on a Big Boy quite some time ago. It was a failure. The best they could get at full burn was 1/3rd power. The loco was converted back to coal and put back in service. I hope UP has better luck with it now. Modern technology could help.

That was tried on a Big Boy quite some time ago. It was a failure. The best they could get at full burn was 1/3rd power. The loco was converted back to coal and put back in service. I hope UP has better luck with it now. Modern technology could help.
i read alot on that a while ago & they need six burner but they did only 1 it was a 1/2 hearted attempt & then canned the whole program. jeffery your right with new technolgy it will be alot easier to acheive

Oh snap! This is very good news. I hope they work it out, that would be awesome to see the big boy runin again.

Now the UP already has the steam preservation program here in Colorado/Wyoming with the 844. I've seen it many times, and its a phenomenal site to see.

Union Pacific may be bringing back the ultimate steam machine, an Alco-built 4-8-8-4 Big Boy, the last of which steamed more than 50 years ago.
I too heard this today. This is a complete reversal of past UP's standing on this issue. Before they quoted the limitations of where such a restored loco could go, where it could be turned, where it would get fuel, water, sand, etc. Anyway I also heard a lot of inside scoop about the project. First is that the project is very political and personal within the railroad. Something about person A getting credit for past restoration projects and new person B wanting same said credit, while at the same time destroying person As "claim" to its success. Second is that the project might be at the expense of the 3985. Yup that's right there is a rumor that if this project goes through then 3985 might be sacrificed. Personally I would rather have a Challenger that can roam the system almost at will rather than a Big Boy that can only run back and forth on very limited sections of track. Third is what was already discussed about the technical issues of oil firing such a locomotive. Finally, the thought of getting it out for the 150 celebration is totally unrealistic. Unless they plan on continuing the 150 theme to silly extremes. 150 years since x, 150 years since y, 150 years since z. So at some point Yes it will be 150 years from some point in the railroad history. But even that isn't really true either since the UP went out of bankrupt in the Crédit Mobilier scandal of 1872. The original Union Pacific was sold to a group of investors for $110 million in 1897. So the current UP is really only 115 years old.

thanks for the tidbits ,everything in life involves politics ,sadly but i will give uncle pete credit that both locos can be stabled in the same roundhouse like years past, big boy for regional running & 3985/ 844 for roaming the system :D:D:cool:

I too heard this today. This is a complete reversal of past UP's standing on this issue. Before they quoted the limitations of where such a restored loco could go, where it could be turned, where it would get fuel, water, sand, etc. Anyway I also heard a lot of inside scoop about the project. First is that the project is very political and personal within the railroad. Something about person A getting credit for past restoration projects and new person B wanting same said credit, while at the same time destroying person As "claim" to its success. Second is that the project might be at the expense of the 3985. Yup that's right there is a rumor that if this project goes through then 3985 might be sacrificed. Personally I would rather have a Challenger that can roam the system almost at will rather than a Big Boy that can only run back and forth on very limited sections of track. Third is what was already discussed about the technical issues of oil firing such a locomotive. Finally, the thought of getting it out for the 150 celebration is totally unrealistic. Unless they plan on continuing the 150 theme to silly extremes. 150 years since x, 150 years since y, 150 years since z. So at some point Yes it will be 150 years from some point in the railroad history. But even that isn't really true either since the UP went out of bankrupt in the Crédit Mobilier scandal of 1872. The original Union Pacific was sold to a group of investors for $110 million in 1897. So the current UP is really only 115 years old.

Oh yes, the element of corporate suck up, undercut, and back stab is always present in the real world.:mad:

I have mixed feelings about steam power, but why not? Uncle Pete can charge the whole cost off to marketing. A Big Boy charging across the Plains pulling a Stack Train would be a great advertisement. Pure Shock and Awe!;)

For what it's worth, it doesn't matter that Uncle went broke once or twice, the name's the same, and 2019 is the 150th anniversary of the completion of the "Transcontinental Railroad, not the UP, which is somewhat older, incorporation wise.

funny it wasnt that long ago they ran screaming from restoring a big boy , now they are stepping over each other to take credit for bringing it back :rolleyes:

interms of proxcimity they have the 4023 in kenefick park,4004 in cheyenne,& the 4005 in denver , so they have a number that are close , ahh heck bring them all back & restore them :p

My speculative $0.02 would do little to further this thread. Much has been said. Much will be said. Much is known. Much is unknown but to a few. Suffice to say, I'm...

Stoked!

Back