Stoney Creek Bridge

Did you manage to get an overall view of the bridge? I assume it's still in use given the OSHA approved cage ladders on the bents.

Did you manage to get an overall view of the bridge? I assume it's still in use given the OSHA approved cage ladders on the bents.

Actually, I didn't get an overall shot of the bridge from the side. I have many photo's from the side I found on the internet, but not much detail in them. I was mainly was interested in a view of the pins and connection details of the lateral braces. I took over a hundred photographs but none show the bridge completely from the side. Getting a good side shot requires more hinking up the mountain through the trees and undergrowth, it is also quite a steep climb.

The Stoney Creek Bridge is on the CPR Mountain Subdivision and is still in use today by all eastbound traffic. There is a 2% grade on the bridge so when the Mount Macdonald tunnel (10 miles long) was completed, all westbound traffic was routed through the new tunnel with a reduced grade. So now it is mostly downhill traffic (eastbound) on the Stoney Creek Bridge.

I can imagine it would be hard to get an overall picture with the size of that bridge. Some pretty interesting connection methods, especially the massive amounts of rivets on the curved section of the truss bridge.

Very nice shots!
We were on track this spring and went up to the bridge but didn't go over it, we wound up on the Mcdonald track and into the tunnels.
I think the track split at Rogers???
Yup, major bear country

Looks like a very interesting bridge . All you need is to wear your bear repellent to get there !!!

IFAIK, there are/were 2 exact scale models of the bridge. One was built for the CP exposition back in the late 80s and is HO scale. The other is in O scale and forms part of the Cal-O-Rail club's layout in Calgary. I've got some ancient crappy 8mm video of the O scale layout that shows the bridge. I'll try to capture it and post it up.

Back