speaker location in locomotive

ClintOHenry

The directions say to put the speaker with the front facing an open area and the other side in an airtight chamber, but the picture with it appears to be the other way around. I want to locate the speaker in the grill/fan area of my locomotive. Which way?

The directions say to put the speaker with the front facing an open area and the other side in an airtight chamber, but the picture with it appears to be the other way around. I want to locate the speaker in the grill/fan area of my locomotive. Which way?
The quick answer is to put the front facing the grill/fan. This will move the most air out through the grill producing the most sound.

The longer answer is that theoretically a speaker moves the same amount of air out the front and the back. Hence the reason for needing an airtight chamber on the other side. I favor the front in the direction of the listener because in my opinion it has a more clear path. From the rear it has to duck and dodge all the speaker supports.

I am using MRC speakers as they are LOUD with no baffle. They have a variety of sizes to fit your location. I put one in my bachmann 70 ton GE engine with siderods, tiny but has good sound and no baffle. The engine has a pre-designed spot for the speaker.

Back