SP Daylight question

I acquired a nice set on the internet, an Alco PA and dummy and five streamliner passenger cars.

Can I run a GS 4 steamer with those passenger cars, or what would be appropriate?

Does someone make Daylight heavyweights?

Bill

I acquired a nice set on the internet, an Alco PA and dummy and five streamliner passenger cars.

Can I run a GS 4 steamer with those passenger cars, or what would be appropriate?
Yes, a GS-4 pulled a streamlined train. Whether those exact cars are exactly 100% prototypical is a different story. BLI made a set specifically to match the GS-4

I have it being pulled by a set of E7s.

[video=youtube;W1mh2SSromk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1mh2SSromk[/video]

GS-4's could be found on the Daylight until 1955. You could also pull a more modern excursion train with them as the 4449 does now. There were never any dome cars on the Coast Daylight.

Bill, don't forget, it's your railroad and you can do anything you want. Like Alan mentioned, you can use it for an excursion train.

I had an incident a few years back when I was driving westbound on interstate 90 which runs right alongside the Montana Rail Link tracks. I noticed a strange headlight pattern coming down the tracks eastbound. Finally it got close enough and I realized that it was the SP 4449. I almost wet my pants. I founf a break in the median with the sign that said it was for authorized vehicles only. I quiclky authorized myself and headed east and got some fantastic pictures of it climbing up Bozeman Pass. I had no idea at all that the train was going to be up here, but an opportunity to get some great photos of it was just too much to pass up.

PS, There were some Daylight painted heavyweights, mostly diners and head end cars. I don't recall seeing any heavyweight coaches, and I'm away from my library. I can check later. Bachmann Spectrum made some Daylight painted heavyweights. You might be able to find them at swap meets or on e-Bay.

Back