Some power questions

Chemdawg

Hello everyone. I'm going to explain what my setup is, then I'm going to ask my questions.

Here is what I am all running. For my DCC system I am using a digitrax DB150 booster/command center, along with a DT400 controller. Now connected in the chain of loconet devices are 3 DS64's controlling 12 tortoise machines, 2 PM42's breaking my layout down into 8 districts, 1 PS3 which goes to the computer connected to a 15" touch screen for JMRI. Connected to the tortoise machines is a 1 Green and 1 Red LED each to show on my panels which direction the turnout is thrown.

For power right now, I am using 2 computer power supplies that have been modified as specified on the internet. One power supply is running the 3 DS64's which is running the 12 turnout machines and led's. The other supply is running the two PM42's. The PS3 is powered through the usb, and for the programming track, I have it's own power supply.

Now for my questions. I'm not concerned about track power, cause I have plenty it seems to run what I do for locos.

My question is coming down to the turnout machines, and led's and all the other stuff. I don't know how big of a drain I'm getting, but it sure seems like my tortoise machines are really really slow now that all 12 are connected with led's.

I am thinking of purchasing the PS2012 power supply through digitrax. Will this unit power my booster for the track along with my accessories? It sounds like it would and have plenty to spare, but I want to make sure.

Any ideas?

Well not knowing anything about the computer power supplies the following is all guesswork.

Computer power supplies usually have rather substantial current capabilities. Two of them are likely more then enough for what you have - one would likely be enough.

The tortoise devices draw very little current as do LEDs - so I doubt that too much current draw from them is the problem.

You should get yourself a multimeter - doesn't have to be expensive - just something that can give you (at a minimum) AC and DC, voltage and current readings. Accuracy is not terribly important for hobby use - you are mostly interested knowing that voltages/currents are in the range you would expect or not - sort of a go/no-go situation.

Agreed. Unless you are running several tortoises concurrently, as in making them move points at the same time, I doubt you are anywhere near sapping the power you have available. They only draw a few milliamps when paused with their points one way or another...at stall current.

Back