Some pics of the layout progress

Some updates of my yard progress. Still have a TON of switches to build. I am waiting on parts from Fast Tracks.

img20130326111215.jpg

Seann is that ur staging yard?

No that's going to be the main yard. The reason it abruptly stops is because I have ran out of time and switch building material. The car shops will be at the unfinished end.
Through the door way will be a branch line in the other side of the room. The staging yard is going to be on the opposite wall. I have the track in for it but no switches made.

Wow! That looks awesome! Great work on the yard, very nice design and the spacing is perfect.

I wouldn't call your plan spaghetti. Looks like you're making great progress!! Keep it up, & post more photos! Where are you building this-the walls look like the bricks used in many public buildings where I'm at.

Thanks to all for the compliments! We will keep working until the weather breaks. I will get the regular camera out and take better pics.

I wouldn't call your plan spaghetti. Looks like you're making great progress!! Keep it up, & post more photos! Where are you building this-the walls look like the bricks used in many public buildings where I'm at.

otiscnj, it's in our basement. The house was built in the late 50's. Funny thing is, I work at a hospital and they have the same walls on the ground level. Must have been an abudant building material back then. Concrete will get replaced by something one day too I suppose.

Having a large basement and right of way authorization is the important ingredients to a great layout, right Irocin?

Having a large basement and right of way authorization is the important ingredients to a great layout, right Irocin?

See, I was lucky with regards to right of way by shear dumb luck. I let her design the living room, kitchen, and now the bathroom. When she starts with "blah, blah, the layout is big" I immediatly nip it in the bud and remind her that this is the only room in the house that is mine. I don't even get to park in the 2 car garage. So, I go about my merry way and "do what I want" LOL All in all she has been great though. She barks a little when I buy track and switch stuff, but I always use either side job money or money from selling over stock trains we don't use or want.

Great Layout

Couple of questions. Where or what type of store did you purchase the cork sheet at. I assume that the cost was much lower per foot than the usual Midwest source. You show Fast Tracks switches. I have been building some also for a future layout. I am happy with my progress and my quality is improving. Key for me has been the small diameter solder and a good solder tool by Hako. Can you comment on what code track you are using for the layout and it looks like a lot of flex track so are there any issues with matching up your flex track and I assume your ME rail used in the Fast Tracks turnouts. Any idea about DCC or DC.
Thanks
Wayne

Couple of questions. Where or what type of store did you purchase the cork sheet at. I assume that the cost was much lower per foot than the usual Midwest source. You show Fast Tracks switches. I have been building some also for a future layout. I am happy with my progress and my quality is improving. Key for me has been the small diameter solder and a good solder tool by Hako. Can you comment on what code track you are using for the layout and it looks like a lot of flex track so are there any issues with matching up your flex track and I assume your ME rail used in the Fast Tracks turnouts. Any idea about DCC or DC.
Thanks
Wayne

Hello Wayne. I will try to answer your questions the best I can. I ordered the cork underlayment online from Home Depot. The cost is a LOT cheaper. Don't quote me but I think I paid $60 for it. So that puts it around $.20 per piece plus they are 4' long.

We are using code 83 Atlas flex for most of it. In the hidden areas we used code 100 Atlas for 2 reasons. First we had some of it, and second it is cheaper than the code 83. Since it is hidden we didn't care that it looks different. If there was a difference in total height I used Styrene to shim the code 83 and also used Atlas transition rail joiners. Worked out well.

As fas as matching Atlas to Micro Engineering the only issue I have is the rail joiners are loose on the ME track. I have to squeeze them a little for a nice fit.

I am probably going to purchase A Digitrax DCC system since we have a throttle already. We use it at club.

Hope I answered your questions!

Seann

Layout update

Seann, thanks for getteing back to me about your layout. It will improve my insight into my construction issues when they come up. Hope to start mine soon. More updates would be appreciated.
Thanks
Wayne

Very nice looking layout, you have lots of room which is awesome and makes for long runs and a nice sized yard.

Please post up more progress when possible, thanks

Back