Some pics of my progressing HO layout

My bus didn't make the jump. Although there was nothing to jump to.

To use one of my favorite quotes from Speed..."Oh Darn"

Nela7Yr.jpg
FwRiK3a.jpg

I'm wondering how best to finish the highway approach? Extruded Foam insulation I guess might work. But I've never worked with the stuff before. It has to be pretty thick so I can then "carve" the approach and then put Durham's Water Putty on top to match the existing scenery.

Any suggestions on what material to use for the highway approach and where to find it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool layout. You've got a lot packed into a small space without crowding it. And your diorama looks nice too

Extruded Foam would work and is easy to work with. It cuts well, is light and able to be carved. All you would have to do is look at the thickness. From memory, it comes in 1/2" 1" and 2" thickness', generally in an 8 X 4' sheet.

The bridge to nowhere finally goes somewhere :rolleyes:

I spent most of the day cutting, shaving, and sculpting foam board to make the embankment for the overpass. My local Home Depot had 2' x 2' squares of 1 inch thick foam board. They call them project panels.

It's great that the Greyhound Scenic Cruiser isn't stranded on the bridge anymore.

KZ4CNar.jpg

6bLPBtt.jpg

Testing out the Motel "neon" sign and some other lights. Hmmm, hard to capture the "neon" lettering with my camera. Well at least it looks good in person :eek:

YLHrcoo.jpg

Ct5fdm9.jpg

Been a long time since I updated this thread.

But I finally got the wiring hooked up to my CTC style control box for the HO layout. The track diagram was custom made for us by ControlTrainComponents. The metal shell (ctc box) was custom built by a friend who works with metal fabrication.

WNfRctr.jpg

Link to large image

CZXlO1i.jpg

Link to large image

The top 6 switches control the 6 turnouts on the layout.

The 8 on/off toggle switches control various layout features such as; building lights, neon lights, crossing gates, and even an air raid siren.

The 2 switches on the right control a station order board signal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the control panel. I have always had a hard time figuring out the map for the switches.

Back