So how much do I need??? Woodland Scenics...

And please, if you have any good suggestions...do share.

I'm building an HO 4x12 layout come tax season next year and was wondering how much ground foam and other substances to cover this layout. I was thinking of getting two Woodland Scenics Landscaping Kits thinking they would provide enough supply to get the job done. Does this sound like an accurate idea? If so, I could get a lot of terrain covered for only about 30 bucks. Of course, not all the layout will be covered in grass with streets, a river, and other types of terrain...but overall I guess its safe to say 70 percent of the 48 square feet will be covered.

Now...the Layout Kit says it has enough supply to enhance a 4x8 foot layout. Now is that a layout that has already been decked out with a grass mat or just bare foam in my case???

Any help/ideas/etc. is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Sorry but no way can you spend $30 for ground scenery on that sized layout. The water for the river alone will cost you $30. You need trees, bushes and ballast.

There's no way to really know. But my wild guess would be about $200-$300 for everything you'll need. Scenery is not cheap man. I have some trees that cost me $10/ea.

I use a lot of free dirt outside on my layout. Thats the only thing thats cheap.

I have to agree with Micheal, that's not going to cut it. I would suggest if your budget is limited to make your first scenic investments in paint. A little greens and browns some black or grays for roads. It sounds crummy but in visually adds alot. It also allows you to see your final plan better and if you change it, just paint over. Then add scenic materials as you go. I just finally added a ton of trees this year enhancing Christmas village types picked up on closeout sales. This was years after the base area was completed. Don't rush it, it's suppose to be fun!

Hello ledzeppelinfan1, sounds like you may have the same problem that most of us have, lack of $$ for modeling. That being the case, why not make most of your own scenic material from scrap materials. For example "ground foam, is just that foam ground up and colored using commercial available available dye. It's simple. Make your own trees (the first ones may not turn out perfect, but then again trees in nature have their problems too :D ) Materials to make a river can be of the expensive materials, or readily available stuff such as paint and varnish. The cheaper materials will not result in as pleasing or realistic scene such as obtainable with the expensive materials but it certainly can result in an acceptable presentation of what you are modelling.
Click on the link in my signature. All the scenic materials were home made, the locos are blue box Athearns with modified Tyco bodies, (The only models of those MLW C630's were brass and cost more than $750 at the time, way too expensive for me. That layout is long gone and a new one is under construction. Again I'll be using home made scenic materials (they should look better as I have more experience in making them now :D) You may find the waterfall beneath the trestle interesting and that had the possibility of being animated.
As for making ground foam you'll need a wire wheel and a means of turning it, other possible machines being a food grinder or a blender. So far all I've used is a wire wheel but will be trying a blender. Just some Ideas, let yus know if you are interested.
Willis
Here's a shot of a pond and weeds not bad for a first try eh!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/cbcnsfan/WaterWeeds_IMG.jpg

I typically buld layouts that require covering of about 50 square feet of terrain. For my yards, I use sifted garden soil onto which I might sprinkle a bit of 'greenery' here and there to indicate Nature reclaiming her turf, but I mostly create hilly terrain out of 'ground goop' and use at most three different types of ground foam (colours and textures to make it look more natural). I can usually cover 50 sq ft of terrain with two of each of the bottles. I don't tend to go heavy, just enough that when my eyes look on the scene near a scale person's height, that is with my eyes low and the camera's lens there as well, it looks good and green...well covered.

So, those $9 clear plastic shaker bottles, I think they are, will require at most a total of six, assuming you have some pavement and rock faces, maybe some water. Your own application rate and taste, including experience, will vary somewhat, perhaps considerably.

Also, and this is strictly my opinion and preference, but I don't happen to favour the kits. I get the elements I know I will use and apply them.

Sorry but no way can you spend $30 for ground scenery on that sized layout. The water for the river alone will cost you $30. You need trees, bushes and ballast.

There's no way to really know. But my wild guess would be about $200-$300 for everything you'll need. Scenery is not cheap man. I have some trees that cost me $10/ea.

I use a lot of free dirt outside on my layout. Thats the only thing thats cheap.

I'm sorry I should have clarified...I am spending 30 dollars on ballast alone...and the river will not be that much...it wont be big and the woodland scenic water kit is not much (12 bucks)...the scenery kits say they have enough for a 4x8 and im getting two of them...so on a 4x12 there should be more than enough. I'm gonna be spending over 100 bucks on woodlands scenic supplies

I already have 100's of trees and I know how to use natural elements from nature than cost nothing at all.

As for making ground foam you'll need a wire wheel and a means of turning it, other possible machines being a food grinder or a blender. So far all I've used is a wire wheel but will be trying a blender.
Ive made ground foam using a blender then dyeing the foam. I found that it worked well as long as you wet the foam in the blender to stop the blades just pushing the foam round without cutting it.

Hello ledzeppelinfan1, sounds like you may have the same problem that most of us have, lack of $$ for modeling. That being the case, why not make most of your own scenic material from scrap materials. For example "ground foam, is just that foam ground up and colored using commercial available available dye. It's simple. Make your own trees (the first ones may not turn out perfect, but then again trees in nature have their problems too :D ) Materials to make a river can be of the expensive materials, or readily available stuff such as paint and varnish. The cheaper materials will not result in as pleasing or realistic scene such as obtainable with the expensive materials but it certainly can result in an acceptable presentation of what you are modelling.
Click on the link in my signature. All the scenic materials were home made, the locos are blue box Athearns with modified Tyco bodies, (The only models of those MLW C630's were brass and cost more than $750 at the time, way too expensive for me. That layout is long gone and a new one is under construction. Again I'll be using home made scenic materials (they should look better as I have more experience in making them now :D) You may find the waterfall beneath the trestle interesting and that had the possibility of being animated.
As for making ground foam you'll need a wire wheel and a means of turning it, other possible machines being a food grinder or a blender. So far all I've used is a wire wheel but will be trying a blender. Just some Ideas, let yus know if you are interested.
Willis
Here's a shot of a pond and weeds not bad for a first try eh!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/cbcnsfan/WaterWeeds_IMG.jpg

Great layout!!! Looked at a lot of the pics and was really impressed...could you tell what kind of foam I buy in particular to make the ground foam? And where I can get it? Also, are there any tips or secrets to the dying of the foam? Thanks for the response!!!

I typically buld layouts that require covering of about 50 square feet of terrain. For my yards, I use sifted garden soil onto which I might sprinkle a bit of 'greenery' here and there to indicate Nature reclaiming her turf, but I mostly create hilly terrain out of 'ground goop' and use at most three different types of ground foam (colours and textures to make it look more natural). I can usually cover 50 sq ft of terrain with two of each of the bottles. I don't tend to go heavy, just enough that when my eyes look on the scene near a scale person's height, that is with my eyes low and the camera's lens there as well, it looks good and green...well covered.

So, those $9 clear plastic shaker bottles, I think they are, will require at most a total of six, assuming you have some pavement and rock faces, maybe some water. Your own application rate and taste, including experience, will vary somewhat, perhaps considerably.

Also, and this is strictly my opinion and preference, but I don't happen to favour the kits. I get the elements I know I will use and apply them.

Right...the Kit I have in mind contains a bunch of stuff I know I'll use...this post was very helpful though. If I decide to buy foam versus make it, I think I'll just get extra. I dont want to be working with inhibitions that might effect the final results.

Ive made ground foam using a blender then dyeing the foam. I found that it worked well as long as you wet the foam in the blender to stop the blades just pushing the foam round without cutting it.

Maybe there is a Youtube video of this I can find later...thanks for the reply.

Great layout!!! Looked at a lot of the pics and was really impressed...could you tell what kind of foam I buy in particular to make the ground foam? And where I can get it? Also, are there any tips or secrets to the dying of the foam? Thanks for the response!!!

Right...the Kit I have in mind contains a bunch of stuff I know I'll use...this post was very helpful though. If I decide to buy foam versus make it, I think I'll just get extra. I dont want to be working with inhibitions that might effect the final results.

Maybe there is a Youtube video of this I can find later...thanks for the reply.

I just use the foam from old cushions, sofas ect. nothing special and use dyes like "Tintex" fabric dyes the mfg. doesn't matter. I use a wire wheel and an electric motor to grind the foam, gather it up, toss it into a bucket of water with the dye for a few days. It takes a bi of time for the dye coloring to penetrate and become fixed to the material. Foam rubber is the best but don't be too fussy, once it's ground and dyed, it's as good as any you can buy

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/cbcnsfan/Foam-1.jpg

http://s4.photobucket.com/user/cbcnsfan/media/MakingGroundFoam.jpg.html?sort=6&o=2

There's a tutorial here on this forum for making trees, the first tree may not look so hot but the modelling will improve with each tree you make. You can also spray paint weeds but they aren't too permanent as they will become brittle as they dry out.
Here's a Link to the scenery section look some of the threads over.
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?14-Scenery

Back