Simulated water

Dougget

Anyone use Future Acrylic Floor Wax or water based polyurethane to simulate water? Thinking I could paint my pond and river to get the right depth look then put on a few coats of poly to get the surface.

I also thought about using textured shower door glass (plexi) to provide the water surface. I've seen many shower doors that have a wave type appearance (not clear).

What do you think?

Doug

I've heard about using the wax but I've never seen it.
I did use the "hammered glass" as it's called from a shower door once, worked pretty good and really showed the depth well. I laid it on broken wall cork on the edges. Was going to try staining it but dismantled the layout before I got that far.

Future Acrylic Floor coating, and Wax, are two different things. Future SHOULD work, however, does not dry well in thicker layers. I'd just go buy some Ez-Water.

I really like Envirotex. It's water based, has no fumes, and dries completely hard and clear. You can do multiple coats without messing up the previous coats. You can get it at Wallyworld for about $5 a pint, which will go a long way. As Josh points out, the Future acylic floor coating is different from the wax and may work but that stuff isn't cheap. I'd stick with something that's a proven to work like Envirotex.

I found it in the paint department along with the other stains and varnishes. The clerk knew right where it was so they apparently sell a good bit of it.

I've used the WS 'Realistic Water', but it's hardly cheap. I like it, and it will take multiple coats without 'clouding', but make sure that your base is COMPLETELY sealed, because that stuff finds its own level like crazy and will go out of its way to seek out any little holes it finds!

Tom ;)

I go along with Jim. I used Envirotex for my creek and it was outstanding. Pour it in no more than 1/4" layer and let each dry before the next layer. Paintwash or suspend particles in the first layers for depth. Dries overnight with no creeping or shrinking as other products do. BTW:I got mine at Hobby Lobby.

Back