Simplest consisting method with Digitrax?

southerncoastline

The Southern & SCL Merger
Hello everyone! I realize there are thousands !!! of posts regarding which DCC system is easiest to use and I believe I have read every one. I am a little bit familiar with DCC systems, but ultimately decided to buy Digitrax because all the clubs around my use Digitrax, and now I'm on that bandwagon. I have a Radio Chief with DT400 throttles. Maybe I'm the only one, but consisting frustrates the crap out of me. I have tried the consisting method where the lead loco is on the right and trail is on the left and they then operate under the lead loco's address, but I can't seem to get it right. Is this the easiest method? I read something abou:confused:t changing the default method of consisting to one that makes them all obey a modified command to one decoder. I ask, from experienced consisters, what is the easiest method now that I am locked in to a Digitrax system? I typically am the only operator, running about 3 trains at a time, so bogging down the system is not a concern. Bogging down the bandwidth of my brain, now, that's definitely a concern!!!
William
Southern Coast Line- the merger of the Southern and Seaboard Coast Line!!

Hi Bill

The method I use is to make them all the same address. Then depending on which way their facing you’ll have to program CV 29 to reverse the units if needed. Then turn off the head lights, horn etc. on the middle units but leave the lights on the last so you can run in the opposite direction. You’ll have to isolate each unit from the start and every time you need to change the programming though.

NYC_George

Thanks, George, I assume you keep together as a consist (A) units that run well together and (B) ones that you have programmed with the same address. Then you are sure to keep this consist together until you break it up and reprogram the individual locos, which with DecoderPro, isn't bad at all. It seems to bypass all the button-pushing you have to do to consist locos the Diigitrax way. This could be an easy way out for me- I could simply tape together the boxes of the locos that I programmed with my laptop as a consist. Does anybody else use a consisting method that is not "by the book"?

I dont have a digitrax but I like to speed match the units that I run in Consist.

after they run good togather I set up the consist so that the lead loco address controls all the units involved. Steam is harder to match than diesel so that takes more skill to speed match

Hope this helps
Trent

I can see the same address working for permanently consisted units. I have two GP40's that always run together no matter what, as well as A and B F units. As for my op's, the locos are constantly split and regrouped at the shops as they arrive in the yard, part of the session. They are also pulled for service at random.
I've never had a problem with the MU button on the DT-400. (touch wood)
I went with Digitrax for the same reason as you, as well as availability.

Wow, George, that is an impressive helix!! I built a single track helix with 4 1/2 turns on my layout hidden inside a mountain, with the train breaking out onto ledge "window" tunnels so the operator can be sure the train is still moving every couple of turns. It was tricky to build, but so worth the trouble! Yours is fantastic. I appreciate the consisting ideas from you guys. I think I'll build me some permanent lashups until I get a better feel for the process.

southerncoastline,

You didn't indicate as to whether or not you belonged to any of these clubs, but I might suggest that if you do, that you talk to someone in there as to how they set up their consists. The other option, if you own a laptop, and can connect it to your railroad, is to get the JMRI software called Decoder Pro. It is a free download, this will not only help you with your consisting, but will keep track of you engines and all of their CV's.

Bob

I just started ising JMRI to program the 90 or so locos that I have, but haven't learned much because I've only done about 3 or 4 locos using it. It seems really easy-how does it simplify consisting?

william,

DecoderPro has its own Consisting item. Unfortunately, I use NCE and haven't used the consisting tab to set any engines up. I just use it to keep track of what engines I have and what consist numbers have been assigned. I was able to download from the NCE command station all my consists into DecoderPro. That way if I lose one, I can recreate it from the program. I am not sure what similarities Digitrax has to NCE as far as the program goes, but it seem to be just a case of listing which engines, by engine number and the direction of the engine in the consist and then saving it.

Bob

William, honestly it can't be much easier than what you have been trying and is ideal if you do not keep them permanently Mu'd. One loco on the right throttle, one on the left, make the left active and hit Mu, click Y for yes. If one is opposite in direction, then change the arrow before hitting MU. That's it.

Once the Mu has been made, you can use the left throttle for a different locomotive. Just enter its address and do what you want with that engine.

The motor functions (speed, brake, etc.), is controlled by the right throttle, but to both(all) unit decoders. To turn lights on/off, just activate that throttle side and push the appropriate button. With sound, only the lead will have a horn, but both will have the random and individual sounds. To break the MU, just make the left side active, hit MU, and then N.

One thing to note: This method is only good if the locos are a close match in running performance and is designed more for quick and temporary Mu's . Some of the other methods mentioned allow for you to match engine performances during the MU only.

BTW: I tried using a common address for non-permanent MU's. What are you going to do when you want to run them individually or even just one? You have to go back in and change one of their address's or take it off the layout. Unnecessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speed tables and the like

While your on the subject Rex in the past I programmed 3 locos in a consist with different brand decoders but with all the same speed table setting etc. and they still did not run exactly smooth as I wanted them to. I have found they run much smoother when all the locos in the consist have the same brand name decoders installed. What happens at the big clubs? Is everyone using a predefined club speed table for their consisted locos?

NYC_George

Oh, I agree that using the same brand/model decoder in the units makes life a lot better for Mu'ing. I'm not a club member, but from what I was told they usually only mu units that have already been ran together or are "close enough".

I have an FA/FB combo with an NCE in the A and a Soundtraxx DSD150 in the B. It was a nightmare to get them running together smoothly. I finally used the speed table on the B only to compensate the difference.

Now, if you have a QSI or decoder with RTC (regulated throttle control), the RTC will compensate all but major differences. My two Atlas SD24's have the RTC activated. When Mu'd together and running, you can watch the couplers barely bumping one another. The RTC senses pulling and pushing of each other and adjust so this is minimized. Pretty slick, huh!;) I only wish all mine were that way.

Rex, I need to send you the herald I created for my Southern Coast Line RR, the merger of The Southern and SCL, both of which ran thru my hometown, Cordele, GA, when I was a kid. I have it on a different computer, and I'm away from home until Thanksgiving, so maybe I can email it to you when I get back. Being a Southern fan, I'm sure you'll like it.
William

Back