Simple assembly of a boxcar

PNKFLOYD

Mikey
I took some pictures of a simple boxcar assembly for a new modeler who has only purchased pre-assembled rolling stock.
I thought I would share the procedure for newbies here. This kit is for one of the famous John Allen layout (the Gory and Defeated) train boxcars.

This a Roundhouse ( Model Die Casting) kit that is at least 20 years. Open the box and see what is in the box.
kit 01.JPG

Remove all the items, including the instructions.

kit 02.JPG

Lay out all the components. Is anything bent, broken or missing? One of the short coupler box screws is missing, so I had to find another screw.
kit 03.JPG

While looking for a screw, I found trucks with metal wheels and Kadee couplers to consider replacing the kit supplied couplers and trucks. the trucks fit without binding on the bottom and the Kadees fit the cast metal coupler box.

The metal base of this kit has casting flash and sharp parting lines that must be filed and smoothed. A plastic base may have flash that you can remove with a hobby knife.
kit 05.JPG

I have the pictures out of sync.
Paint the top and bottom of the base. In this case the inside floor will not show, but I painted it anyway.

Attachments

• kit 04.JPG
    kit 04.JPG
    281.1 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
kit 06.JPG

I added some brown paint highlights on the bottom as minimal weathering. Attach the trucks and couplers with the screws. You may want to pre- tap the screw holes with the self-tapping screws before juggling the screws and trucks together. Glue on the brake wheel and ice hatch covers to the body.

kit 08.JPG

Now the assembly is complete and you can put the car on your layout or decide if you want to weather it.
I will post a minimal weathering of the car using some unusual materials in another post later.

kit 09.JPG

I remember the first Roundhouse Kit I bought, I was really happy with it, already built bar the chassis which I found easy enough to do. (I am over 60), I was so used to having to build a wagon from the floor up, and with all the glue marks that went with it. I love building these wagons.

Gorre & Daphitid! I remember that layout. Read a well known book about it when I was a kid...a long time ago

Back