"Silent" air compressors?

tomstockton

Tom Stockton
I am planning to purchase an air compressor in the near future, but I'm not sure which one to purchase. I've read several of the threads here, and many seem to recommend a smaller "shop-size" compressor, that one could also used for various projects around the house. I have a small (shoebox-sized) "air station" that I use for automobile and bicycle tires, and an occasional basketball or soccer ball. But I can't really think of any other jobs around the house I'd use an air compressor for. And I can see where the portability of a small "hobby-sized" compressor would be a plus. So, unless someone wants to steer me otherwise, I think I'm going to go with a "hobby-sized" air compressor.

Somewhere along the line, I've heard about "silent" air compressors. I've looked through the threads here, but have not seen any comments on "silent" air compressors. I've read mentions somewhere about "noisy" air compressors, and their use while other family members are trying to sleep... However -- from what I've seen in a wee bit of searching on-line, the "silent" compressors seem to be rather expensive. And the more money I can save on an air compressor, the more I have to purchase other items.

Does anyone have any experiences with "silent" air compressors? Do they perform well enough? And are they worth the price?

I look forward to your comments! In advance -- thank you!

Regards,
Tom Stockton

I have one... It's actually a medical compressor designed for use with a nebulizer. I got mine for free from a friend who had two, but I think they go for under $50 bucks on e-bay.

All you need to do to convert it for airbrush use is get the correct fitting from Home Depot or Lowes.

So far this one has worked really well for me, it delivers a pretty reliable 15-20psi of pressure, and doesn't have any moisture problems.

I'll try to post some photo's later this week.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
just make sure it is an "oil-less" compressor (the medical type would be, i assume).

I have a small Badger compressor made specifically for airbrushing. I don't use it for anything else, I have the typical flat-tire compressors I carry in the cars for those uses, they may have a bit more pressure and volume capability than the Badger altho I've never measured either.

Back