Showing off with a story

Davidfd85

One day my Grandson Leon, 3 1/2 and named after his Great Grandfather, was over and we were watching the trains going around the layout. He was just talking away about this and that but then turned to me and asked "Where is the gas station for the cars to get gas Papa?" I told him I didn't have one and he said I needed to get one so my cars would have gas. I told him I would get one. Well a couple of months went by and my daughters asked what I wanted for Fathers Day. I told them I would find a gas station and they could get it for me. Well I found one the style and age I wanted not really looking at anything else about it and that was my Fathers Day gift.

DSCN0117_zps2210bffb.jpg

Well I got the building and started to put together and got a bit of a surprise. My fathers name was Leon but family and many friends always called him "Sonny". Well the name for the station turned out to be "Sonny's Super Service". I kinda laughed about it at the time.

DSCN0121_zpsad11e11c.jpg

Then things got a bit more interesting. During WW II my father was with the Army Air Corps in the south Pacific flying in B-25s. They were first sent to Australia and some how my father got hold of a motorcycle. I can still remember him telling me about chasing a Wallaby down the runway and dumping it and how every time they moved bases they would crank the bike into the bomb bay and take it with him. That bike went all the way to Okinawa and back to Australia before he came home. As part of the kit there was a motorcycle too. I knew I just had to paint it up right.

DSCN0120_zps05a43f0d.jpg

I don't know how or why it happened like this but it did all because a little boy said I needed a gas station. :)

Thanks Dad

David.

Now that is cool. Nice job, great story. Sometime life throws us little surprises. You just got to roll with them.

Back