Show us your caboose!

Here are three I partial to although others too.

1st. Is a Grasse River Logging Caboose which has a stove in it and the old man sitting up
in the crummy/cupola;

2nd. An old Mantua four wheel bobber;

3rd. My original favorite is a Central Valley Craftsman kit My father built around 1955.

Coboose_favorites_3_at_Five_Oaks_S_C_Reszd_995x663_DSCF5208.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's mine.....completely scratchbuilt in 1/29 scale.
These are the cabooses Henry Ford had built for the DT&I when he owned the Railroad.

211100354_E08FDDE0EEBB80CBBD9DD56A7CAE0059.jpg

111100354_7C2F5178148ABB2837A07A868070C710.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that is one of the finest models I've seen in any scale. The little details, like the bolts and rivets, are outstanding. How long did it take you to build?

Jim,

Thanks, actually I don't know how many hours. But it took 2 months. It would have taken longer but I had made the same caboose in 'O' scale a couple years earlier so I had a lot of construction details worked out when I started this one.

Brian B.
Modeling the DT&I 1980ish in 1/29

That is a beautiful caboose Brian. Definitely one of the finer points about the larger scale modeling is the mass amounts of detail that is in the them. Like Jim stated already about the rivets and bolts they just seem to jump right out as do the chains. Fantastic work.

Thanks guys,

Littlefoot,

No, I haven't weatherered it.....yet. I'm waiting till USA Trains comes out with thier caboose trucks so I can put them under it. Then I'll think about weathering it.

Brian B.

My first is an old Athearn BB that I cut down and use as a transfer/shoving platform on the mill local.
The second is......danged if I can remember but I bought the box on the flat car from the hobby shop in Savannah, GA years ago on vacation. This is used on the hot metal train from Ahl Iron to the foundry on the second level and then shoved back.
The third is an old Athearn BB that I got from a friend, plated over the windows and turned into a radio contol unit. Very amatuer job but it has a cleaning pad on the bottom and flashy blinky lights on top. I use it in the Baldwin yard to keep the hard to reach tracks semi-clean. The decals are homemade and are running like a turkey the day before Thanksgiving. All need weathered and will never be any where near the quality of the DT&I above, but on the Carlisle, Newville and Western ugly is the norm.
Rich

100_2828a-1.png

100_2829a.png

100_2830a.png

100_2831a.png

In the midst of finishing a H&D resin van in TH&B paint...

I know, I know Rapido does this van RTR, but it doesn't cost $20! :D

Looking good Sean... but where's the screen door? ;)
(I know, I know)
This is good practice for when you build me a transfer van... I suck at resin kits!

Looking good Sean... but where's the screen door? ;)
(I know, I know)
This is good practice for when you build me a transfer van... I suck at resin kits!

Screen door is in the works...:)

BTW, what was your old T-van's number again? I found a beauty pic of 76595...was that it?

76662 so that's not too far off.
I'm looking for another one, there is one floating around somewhere in the old CN black and grey passenger colors!

Cool! an old Superintendent's van! If it's still intact it will have very nice appointments!

I am not into the weathering deal, but I do have a few cabooses or cabeese whichever is correct. I will start with my shortline it is a PRR bobber that was purchased very very cheap. This railroad showed a $.02 profit last year which was a 100% improvement from previous year.

100_0831.png

Her are some on the caboose track at Clifton Forge yard.

100_0844.png

And one in action on the end of a coal drag

Picture009.png

Back