Should I Return to HO?

Hal it sounds like your mind is made up and I’d concur with you on keeping the big stuff.
However since you were contemplating switching scales why not divert the funds and put sound in your locos?
It doesn’t have to be a complicated or expensive system and it would add a whole new dimension to your railroad.
Note that I said ”your” railroad, do or do not but worth a thought at the very least. (Don’t make me start a poll! LOL)
I also like the rumble of the larger scales but man the sound that comes out of the O scale sound equipped locos is just awesome.
Just putting in my two cents, or one and a half US pennies. ; )
Carry on!

Rico. Fuggeddaboudit ! Hal's mind is set on no enhancements. He just likes seeing this one train roll the way it came. I don't quite know why ? But it's his RR ! Some train guys are just that way about it..And good for them if it makes them happy...M

Hal. There is one teensy little thing which makes me curious, though: Your contemplating going to HO leads me to think there's a little imp upside your skull computer whispering 'I want more' or you wouldn't be thinking it. Going to HO, as you know, will give you near twice as large a RR and trains will take a longer time to traverse it...This said, and with no switch tracks, you could add a parallel inner track with another train running in the opposite direction...
Dat's all the badgering I'm going to haunt you with. M
;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's an idea. Build your railroad with O scale on one side of the table surface and HO on the other side. When ya want to switch just flip your table over.

Sound in my O-Scale 2-Rail locomotives, you say?

THAT'S HOW THEY CAME, RICO!

My MTH 4-6-2 Pacific steam locomotive cost me $800, and it came with a full sound package including Whistle, Bell, Synchronized Chuff, Brake Squeal, Coupler Crash, Steam Letoff, Dynamo Whine, Air Compressor Chug when stopped, and Cab Chatter between Crew and Dispatcher!

The volume control on the Controller can make it loud enough that the Cab Voices sound like they're Live People in the Train Room!

The Big Speaker and powerful Audio Amplifier in the roomy Tender give me overpowering sound if I want it!

My MTH GP35 Diesel also has a full sound package!

The sound in my HO locos was wimpy by comparison.

Brakeman Hal
177.JPG

Hal,
Nice weapons in that photo. I am not an expert.... but that Thompson looks sweet with the drum magazine. Those look like some nice optics on the weapons on the wall also. Back to the thread...... my first thought in reading this was along the same lines as George.... how is your eye sight. I see you responded it is just fine. That was why I switched from N scale to HO some years ago. As I get older I am finding that when I am working on the HO track or working on rolling stock, couplers, etc. I need to have a lot more light than I used to. By the way... from the photos of your O scale layout and the weapons... I am jealous.

Back