Sdp45

blackz28

So anybody thrilled about the athearn new loco
i voted in thier poll for a century 855 :) but it was not to be
well I will have to see the 45 in person, but at least
They actually deliver locos

Yes, I am! I would have rather had SDP35s but these will do. I had given up wanting them. I figured I would have to buy brass. But FINALLY I will have something to pull my 1969 17 car big sky blue Empire Builder. It looked so lame with F units on the point. I had been pulling it with the CB&Q Es, as it would have been between Milwaukee and Chicago. But with these new locos on the point I'll be able to roll it over the Rockies and Cascades.

I model CN in the 90s, so the SDP45 is of little interest to me... Now, if Athearn came out with one of the 'Draper Taper' cowl bodies (either the SD50F or SD60F would do), then I'd be really psyched. Their CN GP38-2W was excellent, the GP40-2W/L looks to be great as well (although why they would release it with the excellent Atlas model already available, I still don't get). Now they just need a proper Canadian cowl body SD to round things out...

They look very nice! I'm in for a HLCX and an undec if or when they ever get done.

I'm pretty thrilled since it is a signature Southern Pacific loco, although it was mainly a commuter diesel until it was dedicated to freight only. These were mixed into northern California freight trains so I"m interested in a single SDP45 with the SP on the nose - not currently announced but probably will be in the coming year.

Back