Scratch built Grain elevator

m_goode

grain_elevator.jpg

This is built from a scalemodelbuildings.co HO scale plan. I tried to replicate the example on their website because I like the color. I used printed shake roof instead of the corrugated metal. There are so many of these elevators in the prairies I think either material would be authentic enough. My next step is weathering, but I haven't done too much and am a bit afraid to mess it up.

Welcome to the group!

Great job on the elevator, looks very well done!

As for the weathering, have a look at this thread. I know it's for rolling stock, but it will give you a lot of ideas on techniques that would apply to buildings as well. We have some great members here who experts at weathering and have done it for a long time. They can help guide you along with suggestions. There is a wealth of information on products and techniques contained in that thread. Here is a link.

Welcome to the group!

Great job on the elevator, looks very well done!

As for the weathering, have a look at this thread. I know it's for rolling stock, but it will give you a lot of ideas on techniques that would apply to buildings as well. We have some great members here who experts at weathering and have done it for a long time. They can help guide you along with suggestions. There is a wealth of information on products and techniques contained in that thread. Here is a link.

Thank you! Time to get some of the unused brain cells working again.

Very nice build!
And you’re right they are/were everywhere and I’ve seen so many variations of colors and roofing materials!
Oh, and I just keep my unused brain cells in the corner, I'm saving them for when… umm… what?

Oh, and I just keep my unused brain cells in the corner, I'm saving them for when… umm… what?
I feel like I am playing "whack-a-mole" trying to keep what few I have remaining from getting away!

m_goode; welcome to the group --
A really beautiful job on the elevator ... What a great addition to place on a layout!
Here is another "build" that has some interesting modeling in it.
Dave's Layout v. 4.0

View attachment 177016

This is built from a scalemodelbuildings.co HO scale plan. I tried to replicate the example on their website because I like the color. I used printed shake roof instead of the corrugated metal. There are so many of these elevators in the prairies I think either material would be authentic enough. My next step is weathering, but I haven't done too much and am a bit afraid to mess it up.
Great building

Back