Scratch Build ??

Yes, that's still scratchbuilding material.

Besides, there's no need to really quibble about definitions. Unless you're building some sort of contest model and the contest has a specific definition/requirement of "100% scratchbuilt", generally speaking if the model is at least "mostly" scratchbuilt you are justified in calling it scratchbuilt. It can include commercial parts and still be considered scratchbuilt (unless specific contest rules say "no commercial parts other than trucks and couplers").

But textured sheets/paper are considered scratchbuilding materials in any case.

TLDR: unless you're building a contest model, it doesn't really matter. If you're in a contest, follow the specific contest rules.

Scratch-building is creating a derivative product out of less-manipulated materials that can be used creatively for the purpose of creating the derivative product. That means scale milled lumber, styrene sheets and rods, papers of any description, foils, sheet metals, and the details that we like to see added to complete a recognizable product.

That took about 12 seconds to say the same thing as the first utterances above.

I come from the Ship building community and of course there is kit building with adding, kit bashing and scratch building. I try to 100% scratch build, but then I'm not making my own thread, brass, styrene and whatnot. Now I am starting to re enter HON3 with the 3D printing techniques I learned building ships. Beginning with vintage freight rolling stock I have copied the form of several model kits from 35 years ago. It seems to work out OK, I even made arch bar trucks, but they don't roll nearly as well as say Kadee or Micro Scale offerings due to lack of proper materials in the prints. Turned brass axels seemed to be better but not perfect. Making an operating coupler is currently beyond my skills. I will use PE brass if it is not in it's original application, for instance unfolded floater nets used for gratings or vent screening. Build as much as you can if that building ives satisfaction. A diverse hobby, so one should have time to achieve and enjoy operation!

Cheers: Tom

Back