Scrapping an Athearn F-7

CNR Glen

I'm in the process of making and old Athearn F-7 into a scrap load on a 60' flatcar. I wanted to make the engine look like a crossing accident had occured with a large truck or even a glancing blow with another locomotive and then it sat for a bit, causing rust in the damaged areas

pics168.jpg

While I was at it a also made it look like the scraping process had started so I cut the side grills off (I plan to make the structure behind them yet) the rear side doors were cut open and the roof was cut at the steam gen, cooling fans and the dynamic brake

pics167.jpg

I also removed the nose door and half the front pilot (I figured they would have been ripped off in the collision)
pics169.jpg

I rusted up the damage, made with a hot soldering iron, with first applying Model master Jet exhaust, then dabing tube acylic Burnt Umber fllowed by Burnt Sienna.

I next plan to add the interior cab wall, glass, grabs, and possibly the walthers emd engine to the interior

Thoughts? Am I on the right track here or?

More dents, less gouges, more paint left in the damaged area.
A glancing blow wouldn't have been enough to scrap the engine, you can try heating a spoon and pressing it into that corner of the nose. Remember, the prototype had a pair of collision posts in the nose, roughly on either side of the front door.

thanks I'll try that. I didn't think of the heated spoon idea. I'll try some drybrushing some of the yellow back onto the nose after the heated spoon.
As far as the damage, maybe a roll over after a derailment. I would figure that if the engine landed on it's side the sheetmetal between the rivets would buckle under the weight. It would also have scrapes down the side as the engine slid slightly before coming to a stop.

If it rolled over, some "black goo" would be good at the seams and vents on the side that ended up on the ground. That would represent lube oil that had leaked out of the prime mover and other bits and pieces, gotten mixed with the mud and crud, and dried into something almost sooty looking. Eventually the elements (rain, snow) will remove that, depending on how many months or years it's been sitting, awaiting disposition.
Also, if you look at a real F, you'll see the structural supports through the vents/grills. There would have been no reason for the railroad to remove them to take out the prime mover or grills. They can plainly be seen in this photo: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=375634&nseq=1
Putting something back in the holes where the grills go to represent those supports, even if (especially if) they look bent, would make what you are doing look more believable.

Thanks for the tips. I already planned to add the structure behind the removed grills, I just needed the picture of them that you sent.

I used the heated spoon idea to smooth out the gouges that I had made into a more dented look on the nose and I added the structure that would be behind the side grills. The structure was a quick and dirty job, based on some pictures and the see through grills on an F-3 that I have. It will obviously look better when it's painted and weathered.
pics170.jpg

pics171.jpg

I have to add the back wall in he cab and cab floor yet. I may or may now add the engine room floor, havent decided yet.
I've started to assemble the prime mover kit from Walthers. It's a little crude and needs some filling in some places to make the fit right.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I've got it now. I re-painted the nose in steel first, then added Model master burnt iron over top of it. I then I took Poly-S oily black and streaked it coming out of the vents, portholes, and some seams as well I painted the structure behine the grills in oily black
pics185.jpg

I used a dremel tool with a paint removal wheel to add the scratches in the side.
pics188.jpg

I also used the dremel to scratch the burnt iron paint away down to the 'metal' below to give the damage on the nose a two-toned effect.
pics187.jpg

I've got an old walthers F-unit detail kit that will give me the grabs and window glass that I'll add next. Then I have to finish the flatcar that this derelict will be riding on.

Reminds me of doing zombie makeup... :D

It's getting more believable. IMO the glue marks on the glazing stand out a bit, though.

I pretty much finished up the F-7 this afternoon, Earlier this week I added the grabs and window glass. Then today I added some more dirt and rust via my airbrush. I also used some artists acrylic tube paint to hide the glue marks on the grill structure.
pics186.jpg

I then turned my attention to the flatcar that it will be riding on. It's a roundhouse 60' flat. I figure that the load would be within it's limit if the prime mover was removed. I painted it boxcar red and used some CDS dry transfers decals on it.
pics187-1.jpg

I weathered the wooden deck using a mix of acrylic paints and washes, then airbrushed some dirt onto the sides and deck.
pics191.jpg

The load still has to be attached using some old ties as dunnage and chains to hold it down
pics189.jpg

pics188-1.jpg

I've gotten to the point of mounting the engine on the flat car but Can't decide whether chain or cable looks better for the hold-downs.
pics190-1.jpg

pics189-1.jpg

Nothing is painted or weathered yet. The cable is model ship rigging thread and the chain was the smallest I could find at micheal's last night

I'd go with the cable.
Pretty sure you're gonna make some CN fan cry when they see it! :0

Pretty sure you're gonna make some CN fan cry when they see it! :0

I am a CN fan! There's just a glut of these Athearn F-7's in the Passenger scheme around here, always more of them at the local swap meet.

I think I am going to go with the cable, it just looks a bit better and it's much easier to work with.

I finished the project today. I did go with cable for tie-downs.
pics191-1.jpg

When I got the engine planted on the flatcar the large empty space of the engine bay was staring me in the face so I decided to cover it with a tarp.
pics193.jpg

pics192.jpg

Finally here it is on my layout. The Sw1200 is pushing it to the scrapyard track beside my kitbashed Allied Rail Rebuilders for assesment for whether it will be a rebuild of scrapped.
pics196.jpg

I think I'll be building a second flatcar with the EMD 654 prime mover on it.

That does look pretty good. I really had doubts this would work after seeing the first picture you posted. You ended up pulling this off nicely.

Great job, that turned out really good looking. What did you use for the tarp? That last little detail really finished the project. It really fits the scene well.

Thanks everyone. I'm happy that the project turned out this way in the end. looking back on my first efforts it certainly has been a learning experience!

Brian, The tarp was a single ply of tissue (kleenex I think). I cut it to size and drapped it over the engine. I then used a white glue and 70% isopropyl alcohol mix (50-50) and gently brushed it over, letting the tissue to become totally saturated. After it was dry I dabbed Ceramcoat Mudstone acrylic paint on it and finished it off with a light spray of poly-s dirt with my airbrush.

That looks really good. On the flatcar with the prime mover, maybe you could load the trucks for the locomotive as well.

Kleenex, never would have guessed. It looks really good and I was wondering because I want to do some covered flatcar loads. Thanks for the detailed instructions.

Back