Scenic Ridge - Here we go!

spleen1015

After lots of internet searching, youtube watching and forums reading, I've decided my first layout is going to be the Woodland Scenics Scenic Ridge layout kit. I think this will give me a good amount of exposure to the hobby to see if I enjoy it.

I'll definitely be incorporating the Town and Factory Building Set that goes along with it. As for the track, I've elected to go with Kato Unitrack instead of Atlas track set that goes along with this. I found this track plan the other night that helped me figure out the track I needed.

In an exercise to familiarize myself with SCARM, I took that track plan and created it, with some modifications. I set it up this way just in case I want to include this as part of later layout plans that I have for my basement.

1694710484935.png

I ordered all of the track earlier this week and it will all arrive within the next week or so. I plan to buy the Scenic Ridge kit in October. The plan is to build the 3' x 6' table for it between now and then.

I looking forward to chronicling my journey in this thread and any advice you folks have for me.

Also, does anyone know how to connect to track ends in SCARM? If you look at my pic, the long straight just after the bridge is not connected to the curved track. I don't know what to do.

Cheers!

Also, does anyone know how to connect to track ends in SCARM? If you look at my pic, the long straight just after the bridge is not connected to the curved track. I don't know what to do.

Cheers!
Good choice by the way on using unitrack. It's very reliable.

Don't worry about getting the pieces to connect with planning software. It's a flaw of a lot of the track planning software. There is enough give in the track system that connecting them in real life will not be a problem.

Welcome spleen1015!

Starting off with that Woodlands Scenic layout kit is a great way to learn about building a well-scenic'd model train layout. That's pretty much what I did over 20 years ago on my first "real" layout (i.e., something fully scenic'd instead of just a bunch of track on a plywood sheet). That layout turned out pretty darned good, and I still have it for that matter. It is an N-scale layout that I built on a full 4' x 8' sheet of plywood using the cookie-cutter method for the upper trackwork portion. Learned a lot about scenery with it, and I've been into model railroading pretty much full time ever since then.

Have fun, and be sure and post pictures for us as your layout build progresses. :)👍

Something I did when I built mine is, on the single track that leads off the layout to the right, I added a left hand turnout, and a second track there. It added a lot of car storage, and gave more of an impression the layout was where a larger railroad interchanged with my small one.

Something I did when I built mine is, on the single track that leads off the layout to the right, I added a left hand turnout, and a second track there. It added a lot of car storage, and gave more of an impression the layout was where a larger railroad interchanged with my small one.
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I have that covered because I mirrored the turnout on the right with one on the left. I like the idea, though. I figure the more trains on the layout the better.

Cool, this is going to be fun to watch!
One of my earlier N layouts was similar to this one but I added a second lower loop via a switch and a 45 degree diamond. Should have a picture somewhere…
I'd love to see the picture. I'm already thinking about adding more to this anyway.

I found this Youtube video this morning. This guy put a double track loop around the Scenic Ridge layout. Watching the vid makes me want to do it. I think I have enough lumber to make my table 4x8 instead of 3x6. I just need to figure out if that is biting off more than I can chew with this being my first layout, my first time doing any MRR.

Today's progress.
IMG-1438.jpg

This is just the table top sitting on a banquet table I have. I'll make the legs this week. Once that is done, I can glue the layout template to the plywood and get rolling.
IMG-1440.jpg

Here are the changes to the layout I'm thinking about. The green rails are the additions. I say I'm thinking about it, but I made the table 4x8 to accomodate, so ya know.... :D
1694973993532.png

Today's progress.
View attachment 174182
This is just the table top sitting on a banquet table I have. I'll make the legs this week. Once that is done, I can glue the layout template to the plywood and get rolling.
View attachment 174183

Here are the changes to the layout I'm thinking about. The green rails are the additions. I say I'm thinking about it, but I made the table 4x8 to accomodate, so ya know.... :D
View attachment 174184
Nice plan, gives you space to run trains and do some switching too, but depending on what structures you intend to use and where, you could also add two turnouts on the far side so you have an alternative route in/out from the center.

Nice plan, gives you space to run trains and do some switching too, but depending on what structures you intend to use and where, you could also add two turnouts on the far side so you have an alternative route in/out from the center.

On left side, the white tracks are in a mountain. I was planning on having the outside loop run either behind the mountain or more tunnels. I was going to figure it out when I got that far.

I'm copying the idea from the video I posted earlier in the thread.
Here is what they did on the top side of the layout.
1694976993079.png

Here is what they did with the left side.
1694977049487.png

I think my progress will slow down here by the end of the week. With me making this layout 4x8 and adding new track, I'm gonna have to wait for the funds to buy the additional track and the additional supplies I'll need.

I'm going to get the table down this week, maybe even tonight if I progress well.

After that, we'll see how it goes. It will probably be a good thing since the added time will allow me to slow things down and make sure I do it right.

Tonight's progress

Almost there.
IMG-1441.jpg

Here are the feet I put on the legs.
train feet.png

I'm using carriage bolts and wings nuts to hold the legs on and together. Down the road when I build the larger layout in my basement, I can take these legs off and make it a permanent part of the layout if I want to.
IMG-1443.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll finish this with the cross brace on the longer side.

The blue painter's tape you see on the floor is me taping off my first run at the footprint of my long term layout. Maybe one day. :D

Thanks for reading. Cheers.

Back