SCARM - Simple Computer Aided Railway Modeller

Hello DairyStateDad :)

You can create the baseboard in both ways - by drawing it or by entering dimensions, using the Toolbox (in Tools menu). See more about this in the following FAQ topic: How to create baseboard/workbench in SCARM. See also Advanced Techniques category in SCARM Blog where you will find two more articles describing how to make the support structure of the baseboard or how to draw baseboard shapes with holes inside.

I know that nobody wants to read manuals and docs (including me :D), but 10 minutes of reading can save hours of trial and errors. This is also valid for SCARM - it is relatively simple to use, but some powerful features requires more attention and practice ;)

Mixy

When it comes to flex track, you might want to consider decoupling the drawing of track from the physical element used to implement the layout, the pieces of flex track. When drawing the layout I don't really care, for the most part, where the joints between pieces of flex track occur. I may need, say, 4 feet at some point in the layout. When building the layout I might use a 1 foot scrap and a 3 foot new piece, or a 3 foot new piece and a 1 foot scrap, or two 2 foot scraps but when drawing I don't care.

SCARM v. 0.9.21 released

@fcwilt: This is a good idea. I will consider how to realize it. May be with an option in the Settings, because many users may prefer to retain the way in which flex-tracks are working now :)

And now for the new SCARM version 0.9.21 - it is ready and published for download on www.scarm.info.

It comes with new features, new and updated libraries, some bugfixes and many improvements. The most important new feature is flex-track automatic point-to-snap-and-join function with auto shaping of the curved part. See more about this update in the following blog post: SCARM v. 0.9.21 Released. There is also a short demo clip, showing how fast and easy is now the flex-track joining to the other tracks on the layout.

I hope that you will like the new version of SCARM and also hope that next one will come soon ;)

And finally, here is the list of SCARM Blog posts for July: www.scarm.info/blog/2013/07.

Mixy

With some practice (and a closer reading of the instructions:eek::)) I am getting more comfortable with the program.

I second the suggestion regarding how the flex track is laid (giving the option of not requiring a specific length), but I also hope that you look at changing how you do elevations.

I would like to be able to:

1) Pick a start point and endpoint of a stretch of track, and then type in the numbers for elevation, eg: Start at 0, end at 4 inches, and then it automatically sets the grade throughout.

2) As part of that, I would like to be able to enter the elevation numbers with a keyboard, not just by rolling the mouse wheel or clicking the button on the menu.

3) I would also like the option of being able to define an entire section and then say something like, "raise the whole section to 4 inches above the baseboard" or something like that.

4) I have opened a second file just to make the upper section of part of my design. that's fine -- it's useful to do that anyway -- but now I'd like to copy and paste that on top of my lower level and then just be able to tell it to put that whole section 5-1/2 inches above the other track.

But thank you for making this product and so far for keeping it free :)

Thank you, guys :)

@DairyStateDad: OK, here are my comments.

1) and 2) - OK, I will consider this to be added in some if the next versions of SCARM.

3) and 4) - This is possible even now. Select the section of tracks, then select any height marker, hold Alt key and alter the height - the whole section will be raised/lowered together.

And now for the new bug-fixed version. There is an issue with SCARM 0.9.21 that may affect Copy/Paste functionality in the program on certain PCs. Please upgrade to SCARM 0.9.22, which was released today on www.scarm.info to fix the problem.

The new version also enables offline documentation and Parts List to be displayed on Windows 8 PCs. See more about this bugfix update in the following blog post: SCARM v. 0.9.22 Released.

I am sorry if these bugs caused any problems and inconvenience in your work with SCARM. If you see another problems, please report them here or in SCARM Blog and I will try to fix them ASAP.

Mixy

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Mixy, I hate to say this after all the fun I had using your software but I went back to XtrackCad for my final layout and here's why. I had an existing layout that I planned to remove to start over but in the end, I couldn't get myself to tear out all that work. I would have liked to import that existing layout into Scarm but there isn't any way to do it. I would have been happy with a bitmap import or copy and paste but it can't be done yet. I hope you can eventually add this feature. Even as a temporary template that I could just lay track over. Some day I'm going to want to re-do this layout and I'd like to use Scarm without having to calculate all the existing benchwork and curves.

Hi Hutch,

I will try to implement an import function for background image to be used as a template for re-creating of existing layouts or track plans in SCARM. Hope it will be ready soon. About importing of the other file formats from other track planning tools - this is not possible at the moment due to different formats and features in every program.

Mixy

Hi I was wondering is there away to enter a table size? I'm planning on building a 4x8 layout? Thank you

Yes, you can enter the size of the table. Open Toolbox (in Tools menu) and select Baseboard (rectangular) from the drop-down list. Enter the dimensions in the two fields and press Done button. If you're working in imperial units, the size should be entered in inches. See more about baseboards in How to create baseboard in SCARM topic in the documentation.

Hi Mixy,

I see this is a free software.

I have to ask you how is this your web site and software funded?

In America we have a saying "nothing is free"

I hope I have not offended you and I wish you all the best in your endeavor.

Louis

Hi, Mixy --

Now that I've gotten some practice at it, I do like using your application. However, there are some aspects that I have found difficult and hope you will find ways to simplify or improve in future releases.

1) I like using the toolbox to initially set the dimensions, etc. of flex track as it is put out. However, it does not seem to be possible, at least not consistently, to use it to modify already existing track. It would be nice to be able to do that.

Also, it would be nice to be able to manipulate the points for the baseboard using keyboard input. You can put new ones in that way with the tool box, but I would like to be able to pick an existing point, open the tool box, and then change that point's coordinates.

2) I have already mentioned my desire to be able to enter track elevations through the keyboard by directly picking an elevation number, and also to adjust a whole stretch of track easily. I have been able to see how you do that some, but it does not always seem to work.

3) Sometimes the context menu changes, depending (I am guessing) how closely the mouse cursor is on or not on an object or a piece of track. That gets very confusing. I don't know exactly how to suggest to change that, though.

4) Sometimes the direction keys work to move the screen around, but sometimes they don't. I'm sure there's some operator error on my part when it's not working, but I don't know what the problem is.

5) similarly sometimes the shift + and the - keys work to zoom in and out, and sometimes not. Again, not clear what it is that enables and then disables the keys.

6) I would agree with someone who suggested that perhaps there be an option for flex track use that would not limit one to official manufacturer's "sections" of track. This is not as critical for me, but I would like it if it is possible.

I might think of more ways in which it could be easier to use. But I do appreciate that it exists! Thank you for all your work on this application!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I will answer one by one :)

But before start, take a look on the SCARM Blog posts for August: www.scarm.info/blog/2013/08 - the last article (first in the list) is about interesting mixed gauge display layout, send to me by SCARM user from another forum ;)

How on the current topic.

@Louis: I have a good primary job which is not connected to model trains and I am working over SCARM in my free time. I like to do this (programming SCARM) and for the moment I have no plans to make it commercial. There are several ads and banners in the site and they are just enough to pay the web hosting and traffic for now. So, if you like SCARM, use it for free as long as you need :)

@Erik: I am putting your notes in my To-Do list. Here are my comments:

1) You can use the Toolbox to reshape already placed flex-track. To do that, select the flex-track, right click over it and select “Reshape” from context menu. Now you will be able to manipulate the flex sections either by mouse or from the Toolbox. I will consider how to make this also working for baseboard points.

2) This will appear in some of the next versions of SCARM, I just need to figure out the right way for entering of the heights by keystrokes when there are different selections (single height, already elevated section, etc.) ;)

3) The context menu is changing depending on current context. Some items inside are visible only when there is a selection (depending of it) or when the menu is activated (right-click is) over the selection. This is hard-coded and depends on current user activity.

4) The arrow keys will not work when the Toolbox window is active and has focus. Click on the drawing plot to move the focus on the main window and the arrow keys should start to work again. If this is not the case, let me know what is happening (you need to look when exactly the keys stop to work) and I will search for possible bugs.

5) is same as 4)

6) I agree with you and other users that suggests this – I will consider how to implement this in some of the next versions of SCARM :)

Any other ideas and suggestions about how to make the existing features in SCARM better and easier to use are always welcome ;)

Mixy

Ive said this before and would like to say it again. Thanks so much for all the time you have put into designing this software. The fact that you don't charge for it really is pretty special.

Here are a couple of other thoughts...

1) It would be nice to be able to see the grade of a track, perhaps by clicking on that track, the way you can see what the length of the track is. Right now, I think the only way I can easily see the grade is by changing a particular elevation, which brings up the grade indicator as part of the elevation-setting process. (If I am wrong, I apologize, and need to go back and figure out the right way to see the grade!)

2) For English measurements, it would be nice to see the grid in either 6 inch or 12 inch increments. This is not a huge deal, and I get why you have 5 inch increments (translating from the much more sensible base-10 metric system :) ), but if we are more accustomed to using 6 or 12 inch grids in planning. (A changeable grid would be especially cool, but I don't know how hard that would be to write the code for.)

3) Also, in relation to measurement, it would be a neat thing if the user could display the center point for each curve. I would want a feature like this to be able to be turned off and on (so they wouldn't be distracting when not really needed), but it's neat to be able to print out the plan and then have a heads-up as to where to locate center points for curves. Again, this is not a big deal, but simply a handy feature.

Hi Erik,

Thank you for your thoughts about SCARM. Here a my comments:

1) Your way is correct. This is described in more details here: How To Check The Grade of a Given Railtrack Slope in SCARM. I should find a better approach to show the grades directly on the track route, but for now this is the only way.

2) This is planned and will appear in some of the next versions of SCARM :)

3) I will consider this ;)

Mixy

Hi Mixy, thanks for the help on setting the table size. I already have 2 slightly different layouts designed.

Back