SCARM - Simple Computer Aided Railway Modeller

Mixy, your blog on bridges got me thinking about other uses.
Just depends on how well you want your SCRAM track layout to look in 3D.

Was thinking about the roadbed between tracks, right now we can only do solid colors, didn't know if there was a way to make a ballast look even between the tracks(where they angle down) without a solid, concrete looking, roadbed.
Still, great program, having loads of fun with it:D
ATTACH]

ATTACH]

enginehouse1_zps966e599d.png

Thank you, Greg :)

At the moment, SCARM does not support textures on the user objects in 3D viewing mode, but I will add such features in the near future with some of the next program updates.

The depot on the last image with the real windows - looks very good! ;)

Mixy

SCARM 0.9.19 is ready!

Hello again :)

The new SCARM v. 0.9.19 is ready and published on www.scarm.info ;)

It contains many improvements and updates, together with some bugfixes. See the list with the most important changes in this version in the following blog article – www.scarm.info/blog/general/scarm-v-0-9-19-released.

One new key feature is the ability to set user-defined joining tolerances and global minimum radius for all flex-tracks – see the new “Edit” tab in the Settings window. Also, all placed flex-tracks now are showing the dimensions of their sections and can be modified and divided after laying.

I hope that you will like the new release :) I already started to work over the next one ;)

Mixy

P.S. If "Check for Updates" feature in SCARM 0.9.18 reports that there is no newer version of the program, download the installer directly from the website. The old version info file may be cached on your PC and it will need some time that cache to expire. If the website also shows v. 0.9.18, press F5 key to refresh it.

Mixy, I'm running your software on Windows 8 with no problems so far. But I have only used it for a few days and I'm just starting to get use to how it works. I'm very impressed and I wish I tried this before doing my layout in XtrkCad because now I have to do it all over. That's not really a bad thing though. I'm having fun and I love the 3D views and how easy it is to ad tunnels and bridges. Way to go.
Thank you
Dick Hutchings
Alias Hutch

Thank you, guys :)

A small, but annoying bug was found in SCARM just after the latest update, related to baseboards and figures with holes in it. It is already fixed and new release will come soon together with new and updated track libraries ;)

Mixy

SCARM v. 0.9.20 released

A new bug-fix update SCARM v. 0.9.20 was released today. Download it from http://www.scarm.info and install it to patch the old version of the program.

The latest version fixes two critical bugs, found in v.0.9.19.

The first issue I mentioned in the previous post. It is connected with the procedure for removing doubled control points in the baseboard and the figures, which caused problems with shapes containing holes inside. This should be now fixed and the holes will not be affected as before.

The second bug is related to the flex-tracks and user-defined minimum radius in the settings, introduced in v. 0.9.19. It may cause previously saved project files, containing flex-tracks to be loaded incorrectly, with flex-sections disconnected and/or reshaped to the bigger user-defined minimum radius. The issue also affects copy/paste of these flex-tracks. This is now solved and the user setting will not interfere with the flex-tracks already placed, saved or copied and pasted from the clipboard anymore.

I am really sorry if these errors are caused you troubles in your work with SCARM. I cannot guarantee that something like this will not happen again, but I can promise that my reaction to the tracked problems will be as fast as possible. Always report possible bugs in the SCARM Blog or by SCARM e-mail and I will check the potential problem and will make the necessary fixes and changes in the program code.

See the list with all changes and fixes in this version in the following SCARM Blog post – http://www.scarm.info/blog/general/scarm-v-0-9-20-released-bug-fix-update.

I hope that you will like the new release and will forgive me for the problems with the previous version of SCARM :)

Mixy

P.S. If "Check for Updates" feature in SCARM 0.9.19 reports that there is no newer version of the program, download the installer directly from the website. The old version info file may be cached on your PC and it will need some time that cache to expire. If the website also shows v. 0.9.19, press F5 key to refresh it.

Unfortunately, another small bug was discovered in the current version - flex-tracks does not always make proper connection, even when red and green arrows are shown. This will be fixed soon with a new update, along with completely new flex-track auto connect & shape feature in SCARM ;)

Mixy

I can't wait.:D Although I'm getting pretty good at making the connections with a few tricks.

The new SCARM version is almost ready. I plan to release it before going on a short vacation later this month :)

And here is the last blog post from today: How to create hills and valleys in SCARM. Although this is only a workaround solution until the dedicated terrain-shaping feature is ready, it may be useful to many of you ;)

Mixy

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to need to create a new layout for someone just so I can continue to enjoy using this software.;)

Great to see that you enjoining SCARM software, Hutch :)

And now, something interesting, that may concern forum members on Mac platforms.

There were questions in this thread before about the ability to install and run SCARM on Macintosh computers. While this is still not possible native, there is one workaround solution that may be interesting and (most important) working on Mac - see about it here: Running SCARM on Apple Mac.

Mixy

Mixy, I just saw this posted on the forum "I tried SCARM but it leaves something to be desired. I created a multi track layout with numerous switches with it, but when I went to build it, it didn't quite fit together. I made some adjustments and got it to work, but when I went back and put the changes into the SCARM design, it essentially said "no way". It overlapped track or track didn't meet."
What do you think? This worries me, I'm about ready to print out mine and start building.

Unfortunately, this may happen with some weird track systems. Fleischmann curved turnouts (both HO and N) are just one example - no one software package can deal correctly with them without some adjustments. But there may be also others. See this article: Tracks Do Not Match/Connect As Shown in a Given Layout Plan. Most track systems however works very well and there is no need of changes when laying the real tracks.

Mixy

OK, I found what you mean above and here is the solution, so other forum members and SCARM users to know about :)

It seems that the specifications of Atlas HO code 100 Snap Tracks in the official catalog are mismatched. See more about this here: Potential Problems With Atlas HO Code 100 Snap-Track Turnouts.

You can download the updated Atlas-HO-100 SCARM track library from the links in the blog article and use it for planning with Atlas HO Snap Tracks as described. The updated library will be included in the upcoming version of SCARM.

Mixy

I'd like to learn more about how to use this. I am afraid I'm not finding it easy at all, but I'm not the most patient person in the world.

In creating the baseboard do we have to draw it? Or is there a way to create the baseboard by inputting dimension numbers?

Back