SCARM - Simple Computer Aided Railway Modeller

EGL Context is a part of OpenGL 3D display driver. It seems that SCARM is unable to initialize the 3D rendering engine with your graphics card/driver. Check that you have the latest graphics drivers and reset 3D settings inside to defaults. Then reinstall SCARM and try again. If the error remains, tell me what is your graphic card model and driver version and I will search for a solution. Note that SCARM has a known issues when running with some SiS Mirage video cards.

Hello dear friends,

I want to introduce my freeware layout design program, called SCARM, which you can download and test from http://www.scarm.info/index_en.html. It has lightweight and intuitive user interface, 3D view, more than 25 track-system libraries and many other cool functions and features.
I will appreciate any comments concerning SCARM here or by email – scarm at scarm dot info.

Mixy,
from Bulgaria

Will there ever be a SCARM for MAC OSX? :)

Probably yes, but I am unable to tell you when :)

Even now, the Windows-version is still in beta stage and there are a lot of features, waiting to be added and tested. So when current program reaches v. 1.0, I will look to spread on other platforms, like Mac :)

Hi Mixy,

Ok I have checked and tried everything, I have the latest drivers available nothing seems to be working still get the error message. I have a AMD Radeon 6670 Graphics Card 8.982.0.0 version. Hope that helps. Crossing my fingers for a solution thanks.

Found the problem mixy woot looks like it is running ok for now 3d graphics was being used on a game program my son had. Go figure.Looking forward to giving some feedback tomorrow :D

I am glad that the problem is solved. Hope you will enjoy SCARM and will found it easy and useful ;)

SCARM Blog

I am always trying to supply the forum members with all possible information about SCARM and because of this I am launching the SCARM Blog – dedicated site, which will unify together all new and interesting stuff about the program. In the blog you will find news & updates, tips & tricks, tutorials & examples and videos & clips, related to SCARM and intended to help you in your work with the program. The first articles are already published and more will come soon. No matter of this, I am continuing to regularly visit and read the posts here in order to help every forum user and to answer all the questions and requests, related to SCARM :)

Mixy

Downloaded Scarm today tried to use it keep getting an error message :confused: Exception EGL Context in module scarm.exe at 000BC879.Context activation failed: 0, the operation completed sucessfully. It wont do anything else, any suggestions Mixy ?

I've had the same issue, but despite re-installing from scratch 3 times, still the same error message shows up. I run Win7. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mrs T

Hello Mrs T,

You probably have a similar problem to Freighttrain, described above. He found a solution, but I am not sure that it will work for you. Check for some other program or graphics application that is using graphics resources at the same time when you are running SCARM. Also, try to disable Aero Glass interface, because sometimes it comes in conflict with other windowed graphics applications. Use “Windows 7 Basic” theme instead and if SCARM still does not work, try also with “Windows Classic” theme.

Mixy

Hello Ross and thank you for your comments :)

SCARM is still under development and I am continuously improving it and adding new features.

Next update will add mouse position to the status bar and this will help for measuring and aligning of the tracks. Flex-tracks will also be improved in some of the next versions, because now tolerances when connecting are very small. Now I am working over shapes and custom 3D objects and this will allow using of platforms, signals, buildings and other like these in SCARM. About start point direction – you can set any direction with step of 0.1 degree – just move mouse far from the point while directing and this will get bigger degree precision. Also, I will consider adding of some layers or automatic layering, depending of tracks heights.

Thank you again for trying SCARM.

Regards,

Mixy
First I must say that I love the scarm software. it seems easy to use compared to the others Ive tried. One thing I would like is to be able to do is to toggle the auto alignment of flexitrack on or off. If I find a section of track that needs realigning slightly I will usually delete one section of flex it would be good to be able to relay it without it shooting over to realign with the next section I inted to delete, or is there already a way of doing that?

Hello scroggin,

I am glad that you like SCARM :)

Please explain, what do you mean with “auto aligning” of flex-tracks? If you mean an option for editing already placed flex-track, this will appear in some of the next updates. If your point is something else, please comment it.

Mixy

I've built my layout in AnyRail. Is there a way to load layout from AnyRail format into SCRAM? AnyRail can also export as Collada 3D file and TrainPlayer xml.

Hello scroggin,

I am glad that you like SCARM :)

Please explain, what do you mean with “auto aligning” of flex-tracks? If you mean an option for editing already placed flex-track, this will appear in some of the next updates. If your point is something else, please comment it.

Mixy
when a flexitrack is within a few degrees of joining another track it will automaticly line up and join which is usually just what you want but occasioinally I would like to be able to switch that feature off

I've built my layout in AnyRail. Is there a way to load layout from AnyRail format into SCRAM? AnyRail can also export as Collada 3D file and TrainPlayer xml.

At the moment, SCARM is not able to import files from other track design programs. There is no documentation about their files format specifications. But I will check this again and will see what will happens :)

when a flexitrack is within a few degrees of joining another track it will automaticly line up and join which is usually just what you want but occasioinally I would like to be able to switch that feature off

OK, I understand now :) There is no way to turn off auto-connection, but you do not need to comfort with it - you can "cut" the flex at any time, by pressing the right mouse button. There is another aligning feature to keep the flex perfectly straight at very small angles. This is also not possible to be switched off, but I will consider adding of some option to temporarily disable it.

Mixy

SCARM 0.9.18 is ready!

Hello again :)

The new version 0.9.18 of SCARM is ready and published on www.scarm.info ;)

It contains many improvements and updates, together with some important bugfixes. See the list with the most important changes in this version in the following SCARM Blog post – www.scarm.info/blog/general/scarm-0-9-18-released

This release should also fix one major issue – empty snapshots in 3D viewing mode, seen on some PCs. If somebody have met this bug before, please update SCARM, make several 3D snapshot images and report the status of the problem – solved or still existing.

SCARM is extensively tested on Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 in all 32 and 64-bit versions. However, I am unable to perform full tests on Windows 8. If you have PC, running under Windows 8, please install SCARM on it and tell me how it works.

I am continuing the development of SCARM and the next version is planned to appear in much shorter period than last one :)

Mixy

P.S. If "Check for Updates" feature in SCARM 0.9.17 reports that there is no newer version of the program, download the installer directly from the website. The old version info file may be cached on your PC and it will need some time that cache to expire.

The new version 0.9.18 of SCARM is ready and published on www.scarm.info ;)

I just tested it and the 3D snapshot feature worked perfectly for me! (See the attached thumbnail of my trackplan. I had to crop it and convert it to a png file so I could post it here, otherwise I made no changes.)

Also - I will very much like and use the copy and paste function between two open plans at the same time. Perfect new feature for me!

Thank you for this great program. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Milen - I just want to say thanks again for all the work you put into this program, and still offer it for free. As someone who has done some programming, I can appreciate the amount of time it takes, and you still always try to accommodate everyone's requests. I have found it to be a very valuable tool when trying to visualize how things will look on my future layout, which seems to change by the week!

Success!!! My machine runs an ATI Radeon HD5700 Series graphics card. We found that turning off triple buffering on the Open GL settings cured the problem (right-click icon in taskbar, Open GL settings are there - it's the only setting).

Looking forward to some *quality* planning for my very first layout!!

Mrs T :)

Back