SCARM - Simple Computer Aided Railway Modeller

Hello everybody,

I will try reply to all :)

@marriedshades: Yes, there are many tutorials about SCARM. Start from here: How to get started with SCARM and then look here: SCARM Video Tutorials. It is a good idea to read the documentation - that will save a lot of time. Press F1 when in SCARM or go here: SCARM Online Help & FAQ. The measurement unit can be changed from the settings - see how here: How to change the measuring unit in SCARM. For temporary switch between inches and millimeters, press 'U' key.

@Pacodutaco: Here is the link to the sample items and objects posts in the blog: Tutorials & Examples about SCARM.

@Dougget: Great layout you're making in SCARM! I will reply to your PM right after finish this post ;)

Mixy

Doesn't run on a Mac, does it?

On the download page, the system requirements are listed as:

Windows XP/Vista/7/8
OpenGL compatible graphics

I bet it would run on a mac under VirtualBox (free) or Parallels ($$) with windows XP or 7. You could always also setup dual booting on the mac, but that is way more complicated than say virtualbox.

I had Windows on the Mac, but took it off. Just didn't seem worth it. I have a Windows laptop, so I could put in on that.

OldGuyHO

The program I use is XtrackCad. It will run on Windows, Linux, and MacOSX. Many people complain that its too hard to learn, but I found out,(over 10 years ago), that if you follow the demos located in the help file, you can learn the program in less than an hour.

I use both SCARM, and XtrackCad both depending on whether or not the client is better with XtrackCad or SCARM. The main difference that I've found between them is XtrackCad does not have a 3D function, and you can design and save any item into the parameter files you want to save for future use. I really prefer XtrackCad.

Just got in my new copy of MRR magazine... I saw an Atlas AD for model railroad software, and boy it looked just like SCARM. In fact, if you go to the ATLAS page, it looks exactly like SCARM. I wonder if they just lifted it and rebranded it? The help pages on the ATLAS page point directly to the SCARM website.

Yes, it is a rebranded version of SCARM with all of its features, but only Atlas own track systems inside :)

Mixy

Here are listed the SCARM railroad blog posts for April.

Check also the recently published first SCARM fleet with several N-scale vessels (created by John Lemay) and download the project file if you want to use some of these ships in your SCARM layouts.

Emma Maersk container carrier

SCARM_Emma_Maersk_3D_model_N-scale-300x144.jpg

Different lake freighters

SCARM_Lake-freighters_3D_models_N-scale-300x150.jpg

Lansdowne rail ferry

SCARM_Lansdowne-Rail-Ferry_3D_model_N-scale-300x150.jpg

And there are more... :)

Mixy

What's "MRR"? If you mean Model Railroader it's been "MR" since 1934 so why change it now? And it's been MR for me since mid 1950s!!!! Besides railroad & railroader is still one word.

And here are the SCARM railway blog posts for June and July.

Read more about SCARM and Windows 10 if you plan to migrate to the new operating system and use SCARM on it.

windows-10-logo-160.png

Most users that already upgraded reports that SCARM runs fine, even faster on Windows 10, but if your case is not the same, post here or comment in the blog for any issues or weird behavior when running SCARM on the new OS.

Mixy

Back