Sample weathered decking

railBuilderDhd

I've weathered some decking for a pier I'm building and I would like to know what you think of my weathering of the wood. I've mix all my own colors and I've used a/i wash. This sample deck is a small area on the Campbell pier kit and I'm almost all the way done with the weathering of the deck but this is the only section I've completely finished.

Dave

weatheredWood1.png

weatheredWood1c.png

Hi Dave,

Your coloring and texture are fantastic! :cool: The wood on my own [real-life 1:1] deck looks just like that. But you mentioned this is for a pier - I guess you'll need quite a number of clamps to press and hold it straight when you cement it to the pilings...?

Hi Dave,

Your coloring and texture are fantastic! :cool: The wood on my own [real-life 1:1] deck looks just like that. But you mentioned this is for a pier - I guess you'll need quite a number of clamps to press and hold it straight when you cement it to the pilings...?

Ken,
I'll glue the decking to the cross supports then glue those to the pilings. I can then use glass to hold the decking to the cross supports to make it easier to glue. I've been thinking about what you said so I purchased a piece of glass 15x20" just so I could glue the decking at one time. The glass is also a great desktop addition to have to work on. I can have the instruction right under the glass I not worry about the wood gluing to them and work right over the drawings.
I'll post more detail on my web site when I'm done with the kit.
Dave

Here is an update to the dock project I'm working that the earlier posting was a sample of:

DSC_0022.png

DSC_0021.png

DSC_0020.png

I still have much more to build and I really need to think about where I want to put this when it's done. This model is built from the Campbell kit but I built this one from scratch and still have the kit to do again later. I wanted to try my hand on my own wood before I did the kit to learn about how to work with wood.

Thanks for looking and any comments
Dave

Excellent work, Dave, right down to the barnacles and the correct bracing. How long do you think it took you to build that total? I've never built a harbor dock but I've built some fairly large loading platforms and it always took way longer than I ever thought it would.

Jim,
"Way longer then I ever thought it would" :D is a great guess of how long it takes. The pilings are the ones that take a lot of time since they each need to be carved to look like weathered wood and not dowel rods. I would guess that I have more than 10 hours in this build so far. I also had to cut all the wood from basswood since I didn't use the wood from the kit so that added time. I only used a miter box and hobby hand saw to cut the wood. That added to the overall time as well.
As I think about it there is even more time spent doing the sample/test work I did to get the paint right and wood staining so that was many more hours. Now you have me mad at myself; as I think about it I realize how much time I spent on this and I really need to improve my performance. :eek:
Dave

No, Dave, you've actually got it right. To produce a scratchbuilt model with the quality of your dock, it takes all the time you think it will cubed. :) The problem with guys like us is we don't take shortcuts that won't really matter to the overall look of the model. For example, all the pilings that are more than two rows from the outside could have been made with dowels that were stained black. Almost all the underside detail could have been deleted. Once the model is in place, no one would have ever known...except for us. We'd know that it just wasn't right and wouldn't be happy with it even if everyone else thinks it looks great. That's why I carefully consider projects now. I'm pretty sure my perfectionist streak won't be solved with the time I have left on earth so I try not to have so many projects that I get more stress than fun out of the hobby.

Jim,
You are correct about getting all the details just right. I never thought of not detailing all the legs of the dock nor would I ever just paint them black. One of the fun things about building models I think about is the amazement other get when they see my work and all the detail work. It's then they realize I must be crazy (I am but not the point). What I really enjoy is making a model as real as you can. I often think you can build a real life item faster than I build the model. That’s okay I’m really having fun. I may need to do what you said about restricting what I do and not try to model the entire world (so to speak).
Dave

Dave, I give you two thumbs up :D great the way you blended the colors of wood going from lite to dark,and the bleached out wood looks outstanding like its been out in the salt air for years very ncie work:D

Jim,
I don't know what I was thinking but I have way more then 10 hours on this project thus far. It's more like 30 hours but who's counting. I was thinking I had 10 hours in carving the piling and cutting the decking only. Then I had to spend some time doing the painting.
Dave

Dave, my guess is more like 50 hours once it's ready to install, given your level of detail. Kind of sobering when you think of that kind of time for such a relatively small part of a layout. I would guess I've spent about 2,000 hours in the last year and a half on my layout, not counting locomotives and rolling stock. It's easy to see how someone who's employed full-time would get discouraged at how long it takes to make progress. My wife claims I sepnd more time with the layout than I do her and, now that I think about it honestly, I probably do. I guess I should take her out to dinner. :)

Jim,
Your right that it's going to end up being more like 50 hours before it's done. :D Now don't forget there is a boathouse going on the top of the dock. Then you need to model water and well now that there is a dock I'll need to model a boat of some sort. Now we're looking at something like 150 hrs. :eek: :D

Here is an update to what I got done this weekend. I still have a lot to do but this is after about 6-8 hours of work.

DSC_0081.png

Thanks for looking and always I like to know what you think.

Looks great. Is your plan to model that one section of dock as partially collapsed? Cool idea if it is since it really helps give age to the dock. Good place for mini-scene with some workers and a small crane too.

Jim,
The one section that is collapsed is really a truck ramp for loading and unloading level with the dock and truck cargo area. I do like your idea on the work crew doing work with a crane and all. I had thought about that and doing the model with a section of the decking off and the crew replacing the deck with new deck boards. I was even thinking of a crane in the water on a barge or something like that. I'm not too sure where I will take the scene on this one but it's going to be a focal point on Free-Mo module.
Dave

Back