Running out of patience with Digitrax, looking at MRC and NCE

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
Some of you may be aware I have had Digitrax DCC systems of one type or another ever since Digitrax first started. However, a series of failures in products that should have been around long enough not to give problems have left my home layout crippled repeatedly. This time around, my less than 6 month old DT402 bit the dust. I have a UT4, which is a basic throttle without any ability other than running one train at a time.
While I'm sure Digitrax will repair it, having to send off bits and pieces of my system for repair and having my layout down for weeks at a time while that happens is getting old, fast.
I know NCE is good, though their starter set is a little too basic for my needs, and the next step up is $$$.
I have heard the only good thing MRC does in DCC is their systems. I don't know anybody that has one, though their initial stater set is upgradeable with no trouble if it turns out I like it, and seems to have more capabilities out of the box. The starter set isn't much more than the NCE starter, and seems more capable.
Sooo, does anybody have any experience with these, preferably both?

Don't take my word as any kind of an expert as I'm still 'new' to this DCC world, BUT I did do an awful lot of talking with a lot of different folks, and some forum talks for about 3-4 years before I made up my mind. I settled on NCE, and thus far still do not detect many negatives at all.

I have recently asked some questions about MRC decoders, and whether any naysayers have changed their negative thoughts over the years.....hardly any have changed their minds to a more positive evaluation. And a number of them have pointed out some incompatibilities with using the MRC systems intermixed with other systems, and/or JMRI

...just my 2c for the moment

... some incompatibilities with using the MRC systems intermixed with other systems, and/or JMRI

What he said. Apparently MRC isn't sharing the type of information the JMRI developers need in order to make it work with MRC hardware. I'm becoming quite dependent on DecoderPro myself, so that would be a deal-breaker for me.

I know NCE is good, though their starter set is a little too basic for my needs, and the next step up is $$$.

Yes, it may be more $$$$, but consider it an investment. My Powerhouse Pro is going on 13 years old now. I did break the knob on a cab04p (My fault, gorilla grip) , I've had 1 e-prom upgrade (free part, labor is DIY) , yet its still as viable of a system as when it was new. Combined with JMRI, I can fine tune engines easily, I can recall settings, If a decoder fries I can replace it and the system can reprogram it exactly as before, or I can run the trains from my PC or my smartphone. :D

What Ken didn't tell you is that he once had a Digitrax system. There's no shame in switching teams!;)

How did the throttle go down? I know the display on mine bit the dust recently, but it was almost 8 years old, (one of the first DT-400's out there). I think the display on mine crashed because sometimes I would just "drape" the throttle over the benchwork and let it hang by the cord.

Is your problem similar to mine?

How did the throttle go down? I know the display on mine bit the dust recently, but it was almost 8 years old, (one of the first DT-400's out there). I think the display on mine crashed because sometimes I would just "drape" the throttle over the benchwork and let it hang by the cord.

Is your problem similar to mine?

No. It was working fine one second, and completely stopped working thenext. The little utility flashlight came on,and won't turn off. The locomotive that was running continued to trundle along, and I couldn't stop it or turn off track power.

NCE has great systems. And there support is really good too. I called a couple of times and they walked me through a quick solution. Very friendly people there.

I've had my PHPro wireless for about 3.5 years now, and it runs perfect, never had any problems other than user error, when I first got it. Its actually has a nice throttle system, which I prefer over digitrax, couldn't stand using them. And the wireless works great.

Sooo, does anybody have any experience with these, preferably both?
I have the NCE PH-Pro R. Its wireless is 2nd in technolgy only to the new CVP RX904 (which I can't afford). I like the CAB06R throttles much better than the hammer head throttles. I've always been a big proponent of 1 train, 1 throttle. The only problem that I have with it is at the shows where so many clubs/organizations are using them that we end up conflicting and have to switch to wired.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which DCC system.

I have an MRC Prodigy 2 wireles and a Digitrax Super Chief extra. I use the Prodigy 2 wireless on the home layout and have no issues once I got use to it. Great service, great Yahoo support group and above all you can understand the manual. It's a breeze to program.
I have a Digitrax because our Free-Mo group has chosen the system as the standard. I can't stand it. It's difficuld and the manual is written by engineers for engineers. If you have to have JMRI than you cant use Prodigy easily.
Take a look at both and talk to some people about there expeirences. Maybe you just need to cool off and take a deap breath and go back to the Digitrax.
Thanks
Wayne
Western Reserv Free-Mo

Take a look at both and talk to some people about there expeirences. Maybe you just need to cool off and take a deap breath and go back to the Digitrax.
Thanks
Wayne
Western Reserv Free-Mo
Wayne, that's why I'm asking here. Nobody locally has MRC. While it seems easier to use, I wanted to find out about any quirks, like not being able to use third party programming software (thanks, guys). Given MRC's track record at my house with decoders, I thought doing some research would be a good idea.
My Digitrax problems have been going on for over a year now, ever since I got a new system for home use. It gave me nothing but problems, and seemed like it was in Florida more than it was here. In August, I got a used DB150, and bought a new DT400 to go with it. Now the new DT400 has failed, leaving me with nothing but a UT4 to run my layout with. I can't program anything, unless I use my computer, which is a PITA.
I'm sending the DT400 back for repair, and I'm sure the repair people will cringe when they see the return address on the box.
At this point my choices seem to be narrowing to returning the DT400 and living with the Digitrax system, or returning the DT400, selling the Digitrax system when the throttle gets returned , and buying an NCE system, or experimenting with an MRC system.
I think giving Digitrax a year's worth of second chances is enough, but like you say, maybe by the time the throttle is returned I will have cooled off.

Digitrax issues

Enclosed is the MRC Yahoo group. Do you Yahoo. Try these guys out. BTW, I haven't used the MRC decoders but some people don't like them but that does'nt mean their operating system sucks. BTW, I have heard a lot of people don't think much of Digitrax decoders but there are sure a lot of people using their DCC system. The MRC web site has downloads of the Prodigy 2 and wireless manual available to read. MRC is about to launch a new system with 8 AMPS. The handhelds will interchange.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MRC-DCC/

Good luck.
Wayne

Last edited by a moderator:
The MRC DCC systems are good, and the only complaints I've heard are that it has no way to connect to a computer for programming. Their cost I believe, is close to NCE & Digitrax.

So I too wish you luck, and maybe this will be the end of your problems.

Dcc

The MRC DCC systems are good, and the only complaints I've heard are that it has no way to connect to a computer for programming. Their cost I believe, is close to NCE & Digitrax.

So I too wish you luck, and maybe this will be the end of your problems.

MRC does have a computer interface however not with JMRI.
Thanks
Wayne

Okay, here's an update.
I also posted this on another forum, and one of the folks there had this happen to them. They said Digitrax told them to separate the two halves of the case for the throttle, and push on the chip that's on the board. I did this, even though the chip didn't look loose, nor did it seem to move when I pushed on it. Nevertheless, it now works, though if it being "out" such a small amount you can't even feel it pushing back into place, I am not confident it will not do it again.
For now, I am back in business, though I am not feeling warm and fuzzy, waiting to see if it fails again.
We'll see.

though I am not feeling warm and fuzzy,

Kinda like being on a second date, and you learn she's your 2nd cousin huh?

I have a Prodigy Advance2, for about 7 years now. The only time I sent it in was for an upgrade from a regular advance to the squared version. I have multiple handhelds for it. Even recently picked up the new 8 amp booster (new version, not the old old bulky one). Have had no problems programming decoders, even did a genesis sd70m-2 last night with tsunami sound, without any type of booster. My current layout is 12x24, soon to encompass 2 bedrooms, hence the need for the booster to seperate the districts.
Me, personally, haven't had any problems with the Advance2. I did have to email Digitrax about programming one of their FX6 decoders, as my hex is rusty and didn't want to break out the texas instruments calculator. Any other decoders are a breeze to program, and run great.
You put the loco on the program track, hit program on the hanheld, tell it the address you want it to have, tell it the starting voltage, max voltage, and top end of the speed, and its done. The unit does the programming of the cv's for you without having to go to individual cv's and doing it yourself.
As for Digitrax system, have no experience with any of them, so can't say.
TB:cool:

Okay, here's an update.
I also posted this on another forum, and one of the folks there had this happen to them. They said Digitrax told them to separate the two halves of the case for the throttle, and push on the chip that's on the board. I did this, even though the chip didn't look loose, nor did it seem to move when I pushed on it. Nevertheless, it now works, though if it being "out" such a small amount you can't even feel it pushing back into place, I am not confident it will not do it again.
For now, I am back in business, though I am not feeling warm and fuzzy, waiting to see if it fails again.
We'll see.

Oh, that's a crock:eek:

If you bought a car and the maker said you had to tighten the carburetor every time it quit, would ya drive it? Sounds like a poorly engineered patch job, like putting a band-aid on a gunshot wound.:rolleyes:

I too have the Prodigy Advance. I have had it for a long time now. I have not had a problem with it. I find it easy t use and does what I want. I have only been running 2 or 3 locos so I have not stressed it.

I have some of the very old MRC sound decoders. They work. I can not say they work well, yet i cannot say that they do not work well. I find that the newer decoders have a lot smoother start and running compared to the old decoders. I have (5) digitrax 2 function decoders I bought at the same time I bought the whole setup. All (5) have stopped working. They had the magic smoke come out and have not worked since.

I have replaced them with newer digtrax decoders and they seem to be working.

I have no experience with any other system. I bought the MRC setup because at the time, any other system was 3 times the cost.

Buzz.

Oh, that's a crock:eek:

If you bought a car and the maker said you had to tighten the carburetor every time it quit, would ya drive it? Sounds like a poorly engineered patch job, like putting a band-aid on a gunshot wound.:rolleyes:

It does sound like something Microsoft would say, doesn't it?
Of course, it is working now. I am still going to call Digitrax and see how often I have to dismantle this Thing and push the chip to make it work.:rolleyes:

I too have the Prodigy Advance. I have had it for a long time now. I have not had a problem with it. I find it easy t use and does what I want. I have only been running 2 or 3 locos so I have not stressed it.

I have some of the very old MRC sound decoders. They work. I can not say they work well, yet i cannot say that they do not work well. I find that the newer decoders have a lot smoother start and running compared to the old decoders. I have (5) digitrax 2 function decoders I bought at the same time I bought the whole setup. All (5) have stopped working. They had the magic smoke come out and have not worked since.

I have replaced them with newer digtrax decoders and they seem to be working.

I have no experience with any other system. I bought the MRC setup because at the time, any other system was 3 times the cost.

Buzz.

I bought a MRC Prodigy Express system - because I got a great deal - and because all my DC controls were MRC products - and later partially upgraded to Prodigy Advance², which means I have all the functions of the Advance² but the lower Amp rating of the express. I have pushed it well beyond the 2 to 3 engines, without issue. The only ill effect is I cannot use the auto - reverse module for my reverse loop. I use a toggle switch instead. I have also used MRC's computer interface, it's OK. In practice, I only use it for programing.

Decoder wise, I started out with MRC's 2 function decoders and they perform as well as the Digitrax 2 function decoders. I have been lucky as I have not smoked any - yet - More recently, I almost exclusively use TCS decoders as they are better slow speed . Currently, any sound decoders are factory installed. Mostly, I prefer quiet;).

Joe

Back