Running Bear's October 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch-ee-ma-koochies, Jaz. But on the bright side, I like that your toenails color coordinate with the cast! It's the simple things of life . . .

Gary - - forgot to mention that it must be nice to have some folks in your club that are willing and able to come and give what we used to call in the Navy, a "tech assist." Maybe I should pursue either the Hennepin Overland or North Metro clubs. It's just that with my evening meetings schedule, hard for me to find the time to contribute or visit.

Tired; looking for a quiet day. The new greyhound was definitely 'peopled out' with the daughters yesterday. We think we will start the adoption process - - foster fail, here. But I really like his temperament and personality. I think he will fit in well. Our black cat, the one that likes dogs, may be up against a wall. The two greyhounds coordinated their attack Friday night. I was under the train table when Fritz, the older hound, initiated pursuit. Target vectored behind me, thus gaining sanctuary, but then attempted evasion on afterburner. But Fritz was ready for that and engaged immediately. Halsey, the new hound, vectored on radar intercept, moved to cover the retreat route as the bogey attempted to use the table and recliner to strip the pursuit and break for the stairs, thereby ending the chase with target 'treed' behind the lamp table.

This could be dangerous - - good thing we are not 'knick-knack' people! - - - - Steve J

Good Morning from the West where it is 54F/12C and heading for 94F/34C under a present clear sky.
The Spousal Unit and I had a nice dinner at 'OUTBACK' last evening where I failed in my attempt to inebriate her - therefore I had to have succumbed to a bed full of mutts -- must have been poor planning on my part? Within 15-20 minutes She was snoring peacefully in her favorite recliner.

JAZ - So sorry to hear of you and hubby's mishaps! Both of you being handicapped at the same time has got to be rough!
I hope that you have help to take care of all the barnyard critters? God's speed on healing - please!

Willie - Good to hear that Arlene is progressing well as can be expected. It is a shame that this has to be "made over"
I count that as torture! Then to have to go through all that rehab again? Murder!

James - I like that maintenance crew cleanup video. The second crane did not seem to be as busy as the first guy?

I'll try and get back for lunch - My neighbor has a problem with his sprinkler valves - one just blue off yesterday because he did not properly prime/glue the pipe properly. He told me that he is a carpenter, not a plumber; yeah, I know --some people cannot solder either!
Also, the gardener was going to replace one of my sprinklers yesterday and now it won't work. It has pressure to push the outlet up, but nothing is coming out the head? He changed it a couple times - strange? Pipe is not blocked; I will have to look at it when it gets a little warmer.
Waiting to hear how the G-Son made out with his date and the prom last evening?
As JUSTIN would say - I'll try and check back in later!

SteveJ, thank goodness that cat is not the rabbit the grayhounds normally chase, he be done for!

JazA, the coordinated reds look good, the yellow-green not so much. Best to you, listen to the docs

Willie, is the house ready for the patient? What an ordeal she is going through.

Sherrel, “inebriate” the wife—thankfully we are a PG site as I have some ideas why you might do that…

Good morning from weather confused So. Central Wisconsin. It misted over night to dampen but not wet the driveway. Again into the high 70’s today but like most of yesterday it is dreary out.

Found the UW Badger Women’s Hockey on TV yesterday. Sports Live, I guess is a CBS thing but it carries Hockey East women’s hockey and the Badgers we’re playing a Hockey East Team. The 2 time defending NCAA champion Badgers are now 4-0 with 3 shutouts and 32 goals scored. Plus they are missing 7 ladies who are playing for the USA and Canadian Olympic teams this year. 1st home games next weekend and 1st spectators allowed since March, 2020. Can’t wait to see in person hockey.

The weathering project continues.

Enjoy the day
TomO
02167F6E-4D2E-4CD6-AE21-13C7DBE7D21D.jpeg

A late good morning to Everybody!

I got a flu shot Friday. I already have an over active immune system, any vaccine makes me feel like I've been hit by a truck. No worries I have been mostly sleeping through it. My sleep schedule went out the window, but i did not break my streak, no days off since August 17th. Half days count in my book. 😉 Not bad for somebody that was told "you need to accept the fact you will never work again" later suggested to go to hospice care. That was over 15 years ago? I'm not certain because I don't like to think of it. As the lady/angel/flapper girl who raised me like to say "count your blessings, not your problems".

Willie I'm glad to hear your wife is bored. Have they identified the infection? Hopefully once they know the best course of treatment she can be "paroled" Keep up the great work on your layout and thanks for sharing!

Terry, smart financial move!

Sherrel, I have not done anything with the track. Would easy off heavy duty cleaner be ok? That is all my wife uses. I regret having to give up my commercial license too, but I could no longer pass the physical.

Boris and Everyone, I love the pictures!

Lots of great posts, but too little time, thanks Everybody!

Where is Chet?

Have a great day Everybody!

God Bless Us Everyone.

have some folks in your club that are willing and able to come and give what we used to call in the Navy, a "tech assist."
Very true Steve, it is a great bunch! Two of the members are actually fellow sailors as well.

Jaz, all I can do is add a last pic of my plan and ongoing assembly
49639D4D-7EE8-4872-8561-E05F2565D60F.jpeg

48DEECA8-2A50-4702-BB00-45B8431E5E33.png

Inside tracks / town areas have been changed to protect the innocent.

A late Good Morning Everybody. Clear and 63° on this fine Sunday morning. Temperature range is not expected to change much over the next 10 days, mid-60's at night, upper-80's during the afternoon. No rain in the forecast at all. At least I get a bit of a break in having to mow.
Wife is doing well today, I spoke with her a little while ago. She slept well last night after a rough day yesterday. The hospital staff discovered that she was only being administered half the dose of pain relievers that had been prescribed, and a PT ripped the IV tube out when they were moving her to a different room. I take back all of the good reviews that I gave this place earlier. They did install the antibiotic port which I believe is called a PICC yesterday, so that's out of the way. Once she gets home, someone is supposed to come by every day for something...besides giving antibiotics, I don't know what else. They won't mop floors or clean bathrooms so I have no need for them!:eek: The move to the new room was so they wouldn't lose her as she was the only person left on that particular wing.

A BLT sandwich today Flo, extra bacon. OJ on the side.

A big thanks to all for the well wishes for my wife, as well as the likes and your encouraging comments regarding the current project. I won't list you all today since there's many and they're scattered between posts.

While I had a good but short day in the train shed yesterday. there was nothing worthy of pictures. I did some more detail painting and cut out more shipping crate labels but haven't attached them yet. I also ran some trains for another 45 minutes or so. The extended household tasks are cutting into my time out there.
Among other things that I did yesterday, was to scope out the area that I intend to put the Ramone's Salvage & Storage structure. With all of the loading docks included, its footprint is 9 1/4" x 13". My available space is a bit over 16" x 28"+. It should fit comfortably.
I intend to put across the tracks from my small town known as Jamestown.
IMG_7860.JPG

Here is a somewhat overhead drone shot of the area.
IMG_7858.JPG

The track here is just a temporary storage track for the planned Ethanol Refinery. It is not attached. I may just relocate it closer to the main, or remove it entirely, at least this leg. There is still room for six tankers off to the left and off to the top of the picture, so this part isn't totally necessary. The structure on the right is also just temporarily stored there, as is another out of the picture further to the right. Because the corner of the layout is just over to the left, anything placed here will be visible on all four sides. It will not be rail-served so that doesn't come into play.

Tom O - WOW!!! I had never seen it before, but the egg carton cradle is a fantastic idea.
Willie, is the house ready for the patient?
Yes it is. I got the toilet seat riser attached yesterday and will start running the "Roomba" vacuum tomorrow morning. I only use three rooms when she's not here anyway, kitchen/dining area where the computer is also located, bedroom, and bathroom. TV in the living room has not been on since she left.
Mikey - I have randomly added labels and packing lists to freight before. I just happened to think to take pictures this time.
Joe - I do intend to wait on any booster shot for Covid until after I see my regular doctor on November 2. I was just relating what the resident told us. My doctor visit will be at about eight months after my second Moderna jab. The county health department is not yet advising any Moderna vaccinated persons to get either one, only Pfizer is currently approved for them to give. We have been receiving update E-Mails from them about every ten days.
No further word on the infection, but it seems that most of the hospital and lab staff don't work on weekends.
Ken - I know what you mean about eating lunch in the vehicle. When I used to work in the plant, I ate in the car in the back row of the parking lot less than 50' from the Frisco main line and could generally see two trains during my break. After my job title took me into an office in the early 80's, I either turned off the light and took a nap, or went to a free lunch with a vendor. As a salaried manager, I had a reserved spot on the other side of the building!
Gary - The current hurricane track shows that Sam will hopefully miss Halifax. Stay alert nonetheless.

Well, now I am really late in posting since I failed to click on "Post Reply".
Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning all! A slight chance of rain today, then a front moves through the state and low humidity will take over for a week. I have a few more outdoor projects to do and have been waiting on good weather, aka low humidity, to complete them.

Flo, a couple of breakfast burritos, and large coffee please.

Willie - good to hear the wife is doing so well.
JazA - looking good in red. Hope you and hubby recover quickly. I'll had a couple of pics.
SteveJ - Sounds like the greyhounds should have been named "Maverick" and "Goose", "Ice Man'" would also be acceptable.

I did start a road crossing at the Yard Cafe. I'll post a photo once I complete it. It is a rural crossing.

For you Jaz
12/6/2020
1633278372136.png

1/3/2021
1633278440552.png

10/1/2021
1633278499556.png

STAY SAFE
LATER

Where is Chet?
Chet has a lot going on right now. He and his wife are downsizing and he has been liquidating some of his classic cars. He's also trying to dispose of his layout, resulting in two false leads so far. He is looking for a new piece of land in Montana that is far away from the "California" politics that are invading the area that he currently lives in. Meanwhile he used the term "separation" regarding his wife who wishes to move back to Florida instead; most likely to The Villages where she already knows some people. I don't believe that he will ever go back to Florida except for visits.
He has been popping in occasionally, but his visits are getting less frequent. He didn't intend to build another layout the last time that he posted about it.
I spoke with him on the phone earlier today and he says hello to all and wishes everyone well.

Afternoon All,

Got quite a bit done today at my house and the estate sale continues today and most likely next Saturday. After that as far as I'm concerned it will be dumpster time. The final cleanout will be on 10/25 by a cleaning company that we have used in the past. The dry wall guy is supposed to be here tomorrow. I've put Dad's O27 train stuff and boxes of photos under the layout. I really didn't want to use that area for storage not related to the layout.

Joe- Good news about the assisted living facility.

Willie- I'm glad everything is going well with Arlene.

Joe- He's doing much better now that his "stuff" is put in his room and the shower is operational. Nice looking Accurail kit.

Terry- Sounds like a no brainer car deal.

Hughie- Nice looking layout.

Garry- That looks like a interesting project. Too bad I don't do passenger trains.

Jaz- I hope it's not as painful as it looks.

Sherman- Interesting video.

TomO- It looks real.

Gary- Interesting layout plan. Is it from Atlas? What kind of track radius's does the plan have?

My son today. Too lazy to get safety glasses!

20211003_123841.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon. It's cloudy and 79.
Our state has an annual emissions/safety inspection. Besides the annual inspection, a vehicle needs to pass inspection prior to being sold. Our new car passed the pre-sale emmissions/safety inspection before we bought it.
I discovered that just because it passed inspection, does not mean it was actually inspected. I spent most of the day tracking down an electrical short in the running lights, only to discover the short was in the brand-new, incorrect headlight switch.

Interesting layout plan. Is it from Atlas?
hey PRR, the plan was derived from me looking up the historic railroad around Halifax and my time in the Navy where I remember the old tracks going through the yard. Several forum members from both forums created the plan from what I was trying to put together and they used anyrail And or Scarm. Key parts I wanted were the old North street train station that lost its roof during the Halifax explosion, long goal will be to scratch build this station once I get the track laid. Outside diameter is 22” the inside loop is 19 1/2”. The rest will be imaginary around the Halifax harbour area. There is also a beautiful layout up here that I used as inspiration and available to see on the Maritime Federation of Model Railroad website By Gordon Wahay.
D34F8CB5-0A17-468B-8B58-2E3036E14A0D.png

Last edited:
I just wish we were saving this money, instead of just treading water paying my wife's increasing medical expenses.
Joe .... Your CN boxcar looks great. .... Here is a project you might like to do. A Pennsy BP20, shark nose passenger locomotive.

Good evening. I was on this morning, life intervened,and I never finished...so I hope everyone had a great weekend.
Terry: Still a good financial move. I sold my truck, paid off the loan with the proceeds, and we are making do with our 2008 Caddie CTS. Insurance dropped to about $1000 / year, no car payments. Our medical costs have increased quite a bit over the last few years. Rinvoq ain't cheap, even with insurance. Then the insurance premiums themselves, keep going up, along with food and other stuff. :(

Garry: That is absolutely a cool looking kit. Might consider one. Thanks for the lead. That CN Box has been sitting there on the bench since last spring.

Curt: Glad to hear your Dad is settling in. I imagine, he will do better in a family surrounding, Pray y'all are up to it over the long haul. Long Term Care Facilitys are the absolute last resort. There really aren't any good ones. We learned that over the last six years. BTW, the wife had an "appointment" to visit her mom scheduled for tomorrow...Her mom called today to tell her not to come, as she has Bronchitis... The facility never called the wife to notify her about the illness. With my wife's compromised immunity system, there is no way she should be exposed to Bronchitis, or any other respiratory infection... This could totally undo everything the wife worked so hard to set up, last week, depending on the demand for Assisted Living rooms.

Willie: Moderna (and J&J) Boosters are in the process of gaining approval from the FDA. It will probably take a while, as the previous urgency seems to have dissipated. Meanwhile, according to various sources, the Moderna vaccine taken as directed, is retaining a higher effective rate over a much longer period, which is another reason the FDA is questioning the need for a booster. (Also combined with Merck's new oral treatment for Covid cases), caused Moderna's stock to take a significant hit last week.
Hope Arleen's recovery continues. (Prayers of course).

As I moved forward today to clear some work bench backlog, I finished another Accurail kit. today...also one started last spring. I also took advantage of today's 79°, sunny weather to veg out on the patio for a couple of hours, after some lingering chores.

Mercifully, the Mets season ended today, as they did what they do best, and "Lost" to Atlanta. Watched Ottawa play the Habs last night, on the Montreal TSN feed. (Leafs play by play crew, (Gord Miller - Ray Ferraro is much better). Game was meh, but it's pre-season. I'm going to like this new ESPN+ setup this season, but have to find a way to get TNT, without paying a fortune. Maybe, a VPN will work for computer access.

Gary: Going to check out the maritime clubs site and video as soon as I'm done here. What I see, I like.

While I was on the patio, I watched the usual group of birds at and around the feeder. There were also a couple of Squirrels around. Something spooked them and the birds flew off, and the Squirrel headed for high ground. He was standing on the top of the fence, when an Acorn hit him square in the head. He leapt on to the roof of the neighbor's shed squawking so loud he sounded like Donald Duck and the chipmunks. Almost as funny as SteveJ's Greyhound and Cat chase story.

CN 495012 10-03-2021.jpeg

Second CN Boxcar, this one in Lumber service (on my layout). This photo was taken on my "Essington" module. (Still not quite complete). Car is sitting over splice where track goes from PRR Code 83 to RDG code 70, which follows prototype practice. PRR used 132# stick, while the Reading used 118RE on their respective branches. Today, the former Reading is gone, while the PRR is single track through here. Operated by Conrail (Shared Assets).

Good Morning all! Ah, October! Octoberfests and Halloween! Another rainy day here.
Flo, that orange paint on the wall is a might bright, but the black is OK.

TomO - I had to do a double take on that photo, certainly looks real.
Willie - the best to your wife for her surgery.
JazA - Aren't bunnies vegan. :)

I am not a fan of hospitals, not as a patient nor visitor. i have been very fortunate in my 75 years to have never been admitted to a hospital. I have had stitches in a hospital but that's it. I feel very uncomfortable in the hospital. Not the body uncomfortable, but the mental. But we do it because they are family or friends that don't want to be there either.

STAY SAFE
LATER
Hughie- as a lifelong Dodger fan, I hate the colors orange & black(except during the first half of hockey season- Let’s go Flyers!!). I agree with the late Duke Snider… he never did like Halloween, because of the color combo(his final season must have been torture, as he played 1964 at the wind tunnel aka Candlestick).
Troy- does said Barry have a Hemi?
Sherrel, Willie & TomO- an hour is about my max that I can handle at the horspital. When I fell this winter & was admitted overnight(had a concussion, even though I never hit my noggin), I was climbing the walls(they kept me in ER for about 2-3 hours & then another couple hours yet before they wheeled me upstairs).
Jaz- I concur with BigG Gary, you & your better half are supposed to negotiate as to whose turn it is.
Willie- glad to hear that YBH’s surgery went well. Prayers for her continued recovery.
Louis- welcome back from oblivion. Glad to see you poking your head in here. Hope all is well with you & your bride in Charm City.
Joe- this pennant race has been so torturous for us. The Boys of Summer won 106 games, but have to play a play-in game, due to geography. Meanwhile, the politically incorrect team from Jawja won a dozen & a half fewer games & they’re off til Friday. Is what it is, I guess. One more win against the Midgets(the game where Ruf went around & didn’t get rung up and ended walking in the tying run- when he should have been the 3rd out in an inning where they scored 3 runs after the game should have been over)

This weekend was too danged hot for October in North-Central Wisconsin…. highs in the mid-upper 80’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back