Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to all for your warm complements and likes

Paul. Love those pics they are very convincing

Willie. Great job on the weathering Rhodes hoppers they turned out nice

Greg I as well hope you get better

I always wondered why this was called “Running Bears” now I know. Thanks for posting about him I look at the link and it’s ironic he joined December 28 that date is when my Dad passed away in 2003 and his last post here looks like it was November 14 that’s the date my Grandpa passed away in 1968 I was only a couple weeks old and he never got to see me. Sounds like he was a great man. Some day we need to do a tribute on here for him

Just a quick "drive-by" post for tonite...

Sherrell, thanks for chiming in about the "Big E" (Eric W.), I actually got to visit with him in person during my family's 2016 trip to 'Bama - his town was only a 3-hour drive from my SIL's summer house in Gadsden. Would have also visited Jeffrey if he had lived just a bit closer.

Over on the MR Coffee Shop, on each opening post, they have a list of all the now-departed members who were regulars when the Coffee Shop was first established, called the RIP Track (Garry knows what I'm talking about). I think it would be excellent if we could do something similar here for our own forum brethren who are no longer among us. Just have a text file with the list of names that Terry could paste-on at the beginning of each new month. Thoughts...?

Ken ..... GOOD IDEA !

Everybody ...... Please read Ken's good idea.... Feel free to post your thoughts about it.

TrucTrain (Lee) ..... I see you signed off as "Lee" ..... You can have your name posted automatically each time if you set up your profile to do that. .... The Frisco reefer looks great.

Curt, Chet, Lee, and others I missed ..... Thanks for commenting on my photo of the meat packing plant ..... Also, thanks to all who "liked" it.

Boris .... The stock pen looks good.

Johnny ..... Your New York Central close look good.

Willie ..... Cab detail in the new loco looks outstanding.

twforeman ..... It looks ike you have an interesting project on your workbench.

Sherrel .... Nice picture of the Frisco RS1.

Louis ..... I see your photo of a string of ugly Penn Central locomotives.

Terry ....... Continued prayers for your wife's health situation.

Happy Model Railroading, everybody...

Last edited:
So it seems a bunch of German manufacturers of model train stuff have banded together to push the hobby and get new people involved.

They have a new website

http://wirmodellbahner.de

("We model train enthusiasts" more or less)

and have a first promotional video out:

Is this sort of effort something that the US model train community should be doing? Is the US model train community more and more "old men"? How do we get youth involved?

Afternoon All,

Ran some errands today and not much else.

Johnny- Nice layout scenes.

Willie- Nice weathering and graffiti.

Joe- Nice looking stock pen setup.

Sherrel- Nice 1:1 shots. My Atlas/Kato RS1 is my favorite loco.

Louis- Nice 1:1 shots.

TrucTrain- Nice job on the decaling. That's something I've never been good at.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Karl - glad to see that recent life events haven't extinguished the mrr 'flame.' I forget where you said you're moving to, is it near Hagerstown? One of my longtime mrr friends [from the mid-1990's] lives in that region and has op sessions every couple months, I've gotten to know several modelers who live up that way.

.[?]

Oh no Ken, I'm not going that far! Just a little farther north, we're looking between Westminster and the PA line. (Mason Dixon Line, or is it Manson-Nixon?

So it seems a bunch of German manufacturers of model train stuff have banded together to push the hobby and get new people involved.

They have a new website

http://wirmodellbahner.de

("We model train enthusiasts" more or less)

and have a first promotional video out:

Is this sort of effort something that the US model train community should be doing? Is the US model train community more and more "old men"? How do we get youth involved?

Oh I like this!

Family drama has kept me busy the last few days. Now that the weather has apparently turned for good (temps in the 60s), I'll be getting back down to the basement pretty soon. I haven't discussed it, but I've been mulling over things like track design and how I'm going to change what I've already laid down (that's the big advantage sectional track has). Then, I also have yet to run my repaired Big Boy or GHW Bush and Veterans locos.

I may or may not have posted this before:

https://www.michigansteamtrain.com/about/equipment/pere-marquette-1225

Thanks PPR Modeler and all the rest with your likes and complements. Nothing going on at the bench tonight got home kinda late. Have a good night everyone.

TrucTrain (Lee)- I prefer the "odd" cars we see on our layouts and in life. Just like weathering the equipment, it adds character and interest to the scenes. Like a road intersection at the stop sign, we see a large "SOTP" painted on the pavement.
I remember one layout I visited that had two different colors and names on some cars. It made his trains look like the cars had been picked up and dispatched depending which direction his engine was going. Same thing for siding views with "Hand of God" exchanges.
Keep the modeling pictures coming.

Willie- I almost feel liked I went on your vacation with you. Thanks for sharing all your museum visits and travel adventures. However, glad I didn't have to make the trip home.

Thanks to everyone who shares their pictures and their knowledge.

That Damned Diabetes.. ! I've been with it for 21 years now. So far I am still doing OK but I know it will get me in the end. I have lasted this long as I used to be built like Arnold in my construction working days. but after my stint with the State the work was way less taxing but I did not stop eating like I was pushing a 12,000 calorie diet of my earlier days I gave myself this damned taxing burden from my own lack of control and now that it is advanced I cant fix it if I tried but my diet is better. Funny but I'd bet that just like Jeffrey, I did not drink a lot nor do drugs. I did smoke for a few years but I was never a heavy smoker and that was 20 year ago now. It was the love of good FOOD that will get me in the end. SOAB..... !

Anyway it is great this section is named for him. Nothing to be sad about, other than missing his presence. I hope he did not die young. Life is tough on us all, and it seems he had a lot of fun and he made friends in here and I'd bet anywhere he went and he was also a model railroader. And that provides for a fuller life, indeed, all by itself...! What do any of us really expect other than one good long run around the track.

A big throw the hats in the air salute to Jeffrey. I did not know him but from what I see in here Ya did pretty good buddy.
Now I understand more about this group seeing his name memorialized. Ya just don't see that often.

Randy
I’ve been a Type-2 diabetic for near 5 years or so. Part of it is genetics(only 2-3 of Mom’s dozen siblings have it). Other part is my own doing, as well. Had a high metabolism in high school. 4 years of marching band & wrestling will do that. When I became less active & transitioned I to a more sedentary lifestyle, I never learned(or ignored the help(solicited or not) of others who tried to help) to eat properly & control my portions & gradually kept packing on the pounds. Trying to keep my BS controlled with meds, but I’m sure my doc will try to push me towards seeing a nutritionist. Gotta get him to check my PSA when the lab runs my other bloodwork next month. It’s about that time & since I lost Dad to prostate cancer at 51, I get that checked yearly. Probably have him do a DRE, since it’s been at least 7 years since my last one.

You may know this already, but something that falls into the "Well, it had to happen eventually, I guess" category. Model Train Stuff (MB KLein), announce on their webpage that their brick and mortar shop will close on the 30th October. Internet, mail only from then on. The shop will become part of their warehouse/mailing facility. Better get down there, Louis.

You may know this already, but something that falls into the "Well, it had to happen eventually, I guess" category. Model Train Stuff (MB KLein), announce on their webpage that their brick and mortar shop will close on the 30th October. Internet, mail only from then on. The shop will become part of their warehouse/mailing facility. Better get down there, Louis.

King Toot, while I feel sad for the store I loved and the people who worked there and had become friends with; it comes as no surprise to me. It's no great financial loss for the employees, most were part time and only made $10/hour. They will have no problem finding better paying jobs if the want to keep working. I do feel bad for them because most were model railroaders and got an employee discount. They use to enjoy working in the store and talking trains with customers, but it became a "corporate" environment focused on productivity. Many of them were too old for that kind of work place.

Even I have gradually stopped going to the store since they hired a new general manager back in 2016. The decline of the moral of the store employees was almost linear with my diminishing desire to go to the store. It was no longer fun to visit the store after they remodeled and eliminated most of the displays. Not to mention the store employees were now expected to work in the warehouse and only came into the store when the cashier called for them to assist a customer.

Probably 9 out of 10 of my most recent orders have been shipped by UPS, rather than a store pickup.

That Damned Diabetes.. ! I've been with it for 21 years now. So far I am still doing OK but I know it will get me in the end. I have lasted this long as I used to be built like Arnold in my construction working days. but after my stint with the State the work was way less taxing but I did not stop eating like I was pushing a 12,000 calorie diet of my earlier days I gave myself this damned taxing burden from my own lack of control and now that it is advanced I cant fix it if I tried but my diet is better. Funny but I'd bet that just like Jeffrey, I did not drink a lot nor do drugs. I did smoke for a few years but I was never a heavy smoker and that was 20 year ago now. It was the love of good FOOD that will get me in the end. SOAB..... !

Anyway it is great this section is named for him. Nothing to be sad about, other than missing his presence. I hope he did not die young. Life is tough on us all, and it seems he had a lot of fun and he made friends in here and I'd bet anywhere he went and he was also a model railroader. And that provides for a fuller life, indeed, all by itself...! What do any of us really expect other than one good long run around the track.

A big throw the hats in the air salute to Jeffrey. I did not know him but from what I see in here Ya did pretty good buddy.
Now I understand more about this group seeing his name memorialized. Ya just don't see that often.

Randy

Randy, when I was diagnosed with diabetes my doctor told me, "diabetes does not have to be a death sentence". It's an up hill battle, but with good nutrition, exercise and medication most people can keep it under control.

Like you I worked like a horse and ate like a horse for most of my life. When skeletal and internal health problems sidelined me, my appetite did not change. In between serious internal health problems I ate like a horse, but could never leave the "barn" and ballooned to 414lbs.

I have since gotten my weight and diabetes under control, along with my high blood pressure. I could never have done it if my internal problems had not subsided, allowing me to move, thanks be to God. At first it was only back and forth in my house, then to the end of the block and back with a walker, but I kept at it until I could do more and more. Now I can even work a few hours a day. Little by little great things can be accomplished.

I was lucky, I had the finical resources to buy the healthy fresh foods I needed to eat. I was not financially dependent on any one. Jeffery was not so lucky and to proud to except a hand up. Even though he was a veteran his disability made him dependent on limited government assistance. Unfortunately the peanut butter cookies and other cheap foods he loved so much were much cheaper than foods like skinless chicken breast and fresh vegetables he could not afford. I don't always eat healthy, but 1 or 2 hotdogs is better than eating a half a pound or more!

Take good care of yourself my friend. When your appetite is getting the best of you, do like I do; I think to myself "I don't want to lose my feet and I don't want to go blind" It does not work when I eat before thinking, but so far so good. My kidney doctor tells me the eyes are the early warning or "the canary in the coal mine" if you will, when it comes to damage due to diabetes. So far I have no damage to my eyes from diabetes.

Keep battling my friend! Never say die!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back