Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willie. That car turned out nice I have a few Accurail myself and I like how they offer you to send in for different numbers

Johnny. That’s looking good before you know it you’ll be done with that section

Good evening Shop Dwellers! 77*F, calm and dark in my central MD neighborhood. I figured I should probably make an appearance so you guys would know I'm alive & kickin'.

Johnny - I really like the trees and "hominids" on your layout, they really bring it to life.

Willie - welcome home from your Gulf shore vacation. Enjoyed seeing all the museum photos. I, too, have a fondness for Accurail freight car models...I have small fleets of their 89ft piggyback flatcars and open auto racks, their reasonable pricing put them within my reach. A friend of mine refers to Accurail as the "Blue Box of the 21st Century."

Louis - I always gives a thumbs-up to a news link that says it's ok to eat [or drink] what I love, especially when it gets the Ivy League elites pist off!:D

Chet, looks like the [typical] early Montana winter is forcing you to spend more time running on your home layout - which is fine by me, since I've always enjoys your Logan Valley photos more than the ones of your club [even though they're ALL good!].

Sherrell, sorry to hear about your forced encounters with repairmen, hopefully they won't [or didn't?] gouge you too badly. Excellent photo of the Frisco SW1, though it still could use a bit of weathering...;)

Mikey - I'm glad to see you posting here regularly again! I still remember the summer when I came down to B'ham with my wife to visit her sister, and you served as my 'tour guide' for much of the week - including that op session at the Wrecking Crew layout. Looks like your recent 'invention' will make it alot easier to get the right sized carbon pipe models.

Greg - glad you survived the hospital ordeal, hopefully soon you'll be mobile enough to negotiate stairways again. Your story about being snowed-in at your cabin reads like a page from one of Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House books that I read aloud to my daughters at bedtime when they were young'uns...

Karl - glad to see that recent life events haven't extinguished the mrr 'flame.' I forget where you said you're moving to, is it near Hagerstown? One of my longtime mrr friends [from the mid-1990's] lives in that region and has op sessions every couple months, I've gotten to know several modelers who live up that way.

On my end...

I got back the lab results from my most recent checkup with my primary doc, and the three numbers I was most concerned about were all in the 'ok' range: PSA=0.03 [big surprise there LOL!]; A1C down to 3.54 [not exactly great - but at least no longer considered at risk for diabetes], and creatinine at 1.52 [it was up to 1.79 before my prostate surgery]. So the cancer is gone, I can continue to eat bread and pasta, and my kidneys still have some useful life left in them.

This photo editing activity I've been involved in is like an addiction! Several evenings I had planned to post here, but first I just had to finish up this "one last little change" on a photo and, next thing I knew, it was way past my bedtime.
One thing that consumes a huge amount of time is when I try to paint-out unwanted "scene-buster" objects, such as in this set of before-and-after clips from a larger photo [which I'll post later], those have to be done pixel-by-pixel:

CoalDumperBeforeAndAfter.jpg

...but the end result is always worth the extra bit of drudgery. At least now, I have 9 useable wide-angle photos of my steel mill peninsula.

See you all next week, or maybe sooner...[?]

Evening ///fellows -- Watched the last few innings of the Milwaukee/Washington BB game. That was a Really Big Show as Ed Sullivan used to say - WOW - pretty exciting! I recorded the game, but after getting home with only the last three innings remaining - I just decided to finish it off.
Spousal Unit and I were out looking for counter depth fridges and located several, but they were not what "SWMBO" wanted. We (namely her) settled on one from Lowes which of course will not be delivered until next Tuesday. We could have bought a hundred others out the door, but "NO, NO - That won't work- I don't want that one; I want yada, yada!"
So here is the skinny! The repairman tested it and priced out a new compressor, installed for $1324.
The new one cost us $1438.66 delivered and haul away the old one.
We took the repairman's suggestion NOT to try and fix the old one. Shame - It was only 16 years old!

Thanks for the comments on the SW!. I'm pretty sure that the loco had just returned to duty from Springfield, MO, where it had an overhaul and a fresh new orange and white paint covering it's skin.

Lots of good pictures and posts -- I will get to them tomorrow for maybe a few comments,

GREG - Don't try and push it too much. That was quite a tale over the weather conditions.

CHET - Safe trip to Vegas - and good luck on the auctions.

IBKEN - glad to see you - I'll have to look at your post tomorrow .. eyes are heavy at the monent!

Sherrel, I'm sorry to hear about the troubles. At least the new freezer will be whisper quiet and only use a fraction of the energy. You might even be elidable for a rebate from your power company for upgrading to a more energy efficient appliance. I hope all goes well with the water heater.

I saw the first part of the Brewers - Nationals game. "Mad Max" did not have his best stuff. His command was off and his slider did not have it's usual "bite" to it, but he kept them in the game! No matter what sport you play; "Keep it close and hope to pull it out in the end"

Now I worry the Nationals will be at a disadvantage vs LA, with their top 2 starters having worked in the wild card game. That could expose their weakness, the bullpen.

Greg, it doesn't sound strange to me at all. Cooking with the lid on the grill makes for a more Smokey flavor and will reduce the cooking temperature. Different brands and types of charcoal make a difference as well. I have 2 grills and a smoker, I use each of them in different ways. I've been saying for years, I should write a book, "the lazy man's guide to grilling"

I like the convince of the gas grill, but my old Weber kettle is still my favorite. lid on or lid off depending what I'm making.

The 1982 World Series was a classic! I'm glad to hear you got to see it. I'm still a bit upset with the 82 season, the Orioles took 3 out of 4 in the last regular season series from the Brewers, but still came up 1 game short in the AL East race.

Ken, I was happy to read that story as well! Vegan..., vegan oh no, not me!

It's already warm and muggy in southeast Baltimore and it's going to be down right hot (95+) and humid later!

That's why I decided to work and early block (7:30am) for Amazon. I'll have more packages to deliver, but I'll skip the heat.

Time for me to get ready, I don't do anything at the last minute. If I have time I'll check in before I go or maybe after, God willing.

If you are not at least 10 minutes early, you are already late, that's how I do it!

Have a great day Everybody!

John Smith - ‎BALTIMORE OLD PHOTOS
The RCA Victor "Nipper" sign topped the D&H Distributing building on Russell Street. The sign was made by Triangle about 1950, and is 18 feet high. When D&H closed in 1976, a Fairfax, Virginia collector Jim Wells purchased the sign for $1.00 and installed it on his farm property at 8731 Lee Highway. Baltimore realized their mistake soon after (which is, of course, typical Baltimore protocol) and tried unsuccessfully for years to buy it back from Wells. The sign was eventually sold back to Baltimore for $25,000 about 10 years later. It now sits atop the Maryland Historical Society building.
1570010163877.png

Good morning everyone. 66 and clear out there. Last hot day, or so they say. Cool-down comes tonight. Chet and his friends must be puffing hard to blow that cold front down here from Montana!! :cool:

TrucTrain55, Ccoffran, Patrick, Willie, Chessie, Boris, IBKen, CambriaArea51, Chad, Wheeler, Chet, Karl, Curt, and anyone I may have missed - thanks you all for the likes and comments on my Progress Post yesterday.
IB Ken - Thanks for your comment about the scenery and "hominids" - I enjoy adding people to each structure or scene - it really does bring stuff to life.
Chet - Any "real" snow come your way yet?
Willie - I believe the cool front we're going to see tonight is going to eventually cover you guys, too.

No report from the train room. Maybe tomorrow. I've been out in the wood shop a lot trying to wrap up all of the crafts for the Craft Fair and the NY order. Didn't even get to run trains last night - now that's a pity!!

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 74° and clear but still dark. Looks like my mowing saga will continue today, if things go right, I can finish everything by tomorrow and watch the rain Friday that's in the forecast. Highs staying in the low 90's until a cool front Monday; we'll see.
Hello Francine, how about some blueberry waffles and sausage patties today. Thanks.

Thanks for the likes and positive comments regarding the covered hopper; Louis, Jerome, Chet, Patrick, Clint, Lee, Johnny, Curt, Tom, Chad, Ken, Joe, Justin.

Out in the train shed, I mostly ran the new engines along with several switching runs. Meanwhile over at the workbench, I assembled another Accurail ACF covered hopper. I had a bit of trouble with the decals on the other one due to them getting old (five years), so I did this last one before they completely disintegrated. Weathering comes today maybe. Didn't take any pictures yet.

Let's return to some leftover museum pictures today. Back to he museum in Foley AL.
Just some random scenes.
09-27-19 trip 093.JPG

09-27-19 trip 099.JPG

09-27-19 trip 108.JPG

Johnny - Adding that extra track to the lumber company looks like it worked out well. Looks a bit crowded on the dock though! The cool front coming tomorrow is nothing really, the one Monday with highs in the mid-70's is the one that I am looking forward to, even if it only lasts three days!
Sherrel - Sorry to read about the refrigerator malfunction and the water leaks. Looks like you'll be busy for a while. I went through the same scenario with the shower enclosure 18 months ago, when wifey wanted one that took three weeks to get instead of many others that we could have taken out the door.
Greg - Yes the detailing on the Scaletrains "Rivet Counters" models is most excellent. They also have some that are not quite as detailed, but they offer upgrade kits so you can apply many of them yourself. Of course, for whatever reason, the cheaper less detailed ATSF models are not available until the second or third run 18 months later. EBay may be your only answer though, if you don't pre-order they don't stock anything. They do usually have some extras but they go fast. No payment is required on the pre-order, pay when they get them.
I'm with you on the open grill, smoking requires a closed top, grilling requires an open top. Easier to spot the insects before they become part of supper!;)

Gotta go for now.
Everybody have a great day.

Morning -- short night for me - I guess the whirlwind shopping had my mind in overdrive - plus the baseball game.
Don't think it will matter much who won, I think they will have a tough time with the Dodgers. It is going to be a RED/BLUE series between the two!
No record today - It is 49* with the record low this date being 45*. Supposed to go back into the 82* high range with the record high this date of 101* in 2012. Oh - did I mention - it's still clear, lol.

Have a lot of "chores" (as CURT calls them) on tap for today ... better get going.

Morning all,

Not much going on today. Supposed to rain this afternoon when the expected front finally comes through. Currently sunny and 74 in Doo-Dah.

I have to use some fays, so I'll be out of the office (and hence off the computer) next week. I have to help one of my daughter's with her oldest while her husband is out of town. Mostly taking her to and from school until mom can get home from work. Lets her keep her few days off.

Got break here waiting for billing on this sea container before I get it lifted at the NS Another one in St Louis highs in the 90s

Thanks. Patrick, Johnny, Bkack28, Chessie System3, and CanbriaAera51 for your likes maybe I can get the decals on this evening
Have a great day everyone take care.

Lee

A quick good morning. Made it as far as Cedar City, UT yesterday. Did pass the truck on interstate 15 with my cars. Having some breakfast now and no real hurry. Gain an hour passing into the Pacific time zone and am only about 175 miles from Las Vegas.

Willie - Didn't see your post until we got everything loaded up. Left the phone in the house anyway. Liked the photos you posted although they are a bit small on the phone.

twforeman - The fascia is looking good along with the placement of thestructures.

IBKen - Nice to see you checking in. G;ad to hear that you are cancer free. Like the mill photos. Looking forward to seeing more (on a larger screen).

Tructrain55
- Like the work you've been doing on the reefers. Keep the photos coming.

Sherrel - If (and when) the water hearer goes, I would absolutely recommend a tankless if you have natural gas. Knock our electric bull down by almost a third. Heard on th sat radio coming down yesterday that there was a survey done by California residents and 76% have thought about moving out of the state. Reasons were high cost of living, high taxes and politicians.

Louis
- Like the photos of the clean B&O equipment.

Johnny
- What snow we got didn't amount to much but they really got hammered up by Glacier Park and the Canadian border.

Breakfast should be here soon. I have to figure out how to post photos from the phone. Haven't figured that one out yet. It will probably be a mad house down at the auction. I have attended Mecum auctions, but never a Barrett-Jacksopn auction.

Here comes the grub - - - - Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back