Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s some pics of the Frisco Reefer on the layout I took today

B8CDA6BE-4910-43C1-AF4D-BD974A599795.jpeg
66514855-9F16-4049-ADB1-C8AFFC168B07.jpeg
C951AA2C-7C3F-45E7-8E5C-50D3F63189FF.jpeg

Good evening. 44F at 9:45PM. Got p close to 60F today after around 38F early this morning. Nice fall weather.

Today I got a bit more of my track wiring redone with second feeders added and current feeders reduced in diameter to fit the track better. This is on my current 8'x4' layout I am using for testing trains and DCC track setups etc. in preparation for the train room in the house we hope and plan to build next year.

Tonight I finished one block of double track (one detection block for each of the tracks) and got 1/2 the neighboring block of double track done, replacing the current feeder with thinner wire and adding a feeder to each track for 2 per track. I ran out of the thinner feeder wire and am awaiting a new shipment. (Two concentric ovals of double track).

After this current block is done I'll have one last set of blocks for each set of double track. (Each oval is divided into 3 detection blocks and this is the second I'm finishing now and I'll have one more in each oval to do, with each oval being double tracked so a total of 4 sets of wiring to do)

Trying to get a little bit done each day or at least a few times per week on the train stuff.

I have a few partly DCC converted locomotives/EMU/Hybrid-DMU to finish -- started this summer -- and some interior lighting to do that got started this summer. With the house project, I had a bunch of design work this summer before we went to Japan and then we were away for 3 weeks so I kind of got behind on my normal train stuff with several things being part way done and then "abandoned" temporarily.

No pics today.

Good morning. It's cloudy and 58.
I installed a short spur on the replacement layout, so I don't have to keep picking up cars and putting them away every time I want to put something different on the track. We will be continuing work on the small, portable and permanent layout later today.
My wife made ghoulash for supper last night. It was as bad as I remember from the high school cafeteria. :rolleyes:

Willie, I'm disappointed, believing a widely debunked conspiracy theory?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/09/23/fact-checking-trumps-latest-claims-biden-ukraine/
Post the video. Otherwise I'll assume you mean when he said he would hold up the funding to Ukraine until they dismissed the former prosecutor Viktor Shokin who was Putin's stooge from the previous Ukrainian administration that is now in asylum in Russia. Viktor Shokin prosecuted no one. Therefore if Biden's son had done anything wrong, removing Shokin would have been detrimental to Biden and his son. Check the records.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/05/world/europe/ukraine-prosecutor-trump.html
Not to mention the entire western alliance was also backing the United States in asking for the removal of the prosecutor who prosecuted no one. Viktor Shokin was largely responsible for the corruption in Ukraine, by turning a blind eye to it.

Check your facts and or your sources. If Fox and is your only outlet, watch Sheppard Smith, not Sean Hannity. Keep in mind; the only reason Fox "News" has not been sued for liable is their name is actually "Fox News and Entertainment", I hope you enjoy the show.

Good morning Everybody,

Sorry I missed Everybody yesterday, got busy with work and got started before dawn.

I'm short on time today as well. God willing I will tie up all the lose ends from this latest project and be back at my usual time.

Have a great day Everybody!

Morning to all from out here again where its 50* going up to an 89* forecast high - the record low/high for this date is 46*(2009) and 96* (2014). Supposed to be windy with fire danger up north of us - here says "breezy".

Another sleepless night was the norm here - I hate that! The Spousal Unit's normal is to stay up several hours later than I do and she will mostly sleep soundly 2-3 hours after I awake. I still have a sharp pain in my left side lower back which is not nice. A sudden move turning to either side produces a sharp jabbing type pain - an Advil will, more or less, mask it somewhat, but I do not like having to take any type of pain meds on a regular basis.

Sure some good baseball yesterday - well, the Evil Empire wasn't that good, but the Houston/ Tampa game was a pretty good pitching duel. That Cole (#45) for Houston was firing on all cylinders ... I wanted to see him go all the way, but saw that he was getting tired halfway through the 8th ... good game to that point with 15 strikeouts.

Well - I have no immediate news, so I'll go fetch a refill.

Lee and Garry -- Nice photos - not too crazy about the paint there Garry.

RAY - that's a pretty NP dome!
Should have CHET foaming at the mouth?
Wonder if he made it all the way home yesterday?

When Mrs Beady finally got to the doctor, he opined that only one of her knees was bad, which was causing problems for her other knee. And that's the way it turned out. Mind, she still takes the stairs one at a time (both feet on one stair before going to the next), but it's a lot easier than it was.

Beady:
Thanks. I agree and hope you're right. I have been focusing on my left knee (likely suspect), because it buckled on me , wow, 11 years ago, shortly after I retired. Should have done something about it sooner, but I'm still vacillating. If I don't do something soon, the decision will be made for me...

a one-story house really does help. We got really lucky; we found a place that already had a ramp
That's something really important to consider, believe me I never thought about it, I just assumed everything would be on one floor. :rolleyes:

Boris

Good Morning All. 73° and clear. Expecting mid-90's again today and then a major cool front hits around sunset with winds from the North in excess of 15 mph. Temperature is supposed to drop to 57° overnight and not get above 77° until Wednesday. I spent a bunch of time mowing yesterday, in addition to giving the new shredder/chipper a workout. The pile of brush still doesn't seemed to have shrunk yet!

Sunday Breakfast Special today Flo. It's Eggs Benedict and hash-browns, great.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments for yesterday's post; Jerome, Lee, Tom, Sherrel, Joe, Chad, Z, Louis.

I did make it out to the train shed yesterday, and did some light weathering work on some of the covered hoppers that I had set aside. The first two are Athearn cars in the "as delivered" paint scheme.
10-06-19 001.JPG

10-06-19 003.JPG

This next one is an antique (purchased mid-80's) Con-Cor car in the more modern "billboard" paint scheme.
10-06-19 002.JPG

For the rivet counters out there, I know that they still have solid-bearing trucks, but they are in captive service. At least that's my story! These cars carry sugar from the refiners in Southeast Texas to bakers in Kansas, per my waybills. In my scheme of things, covered hoppers with round roof hatches do not carry grain.

I also went back to touch up some of the detailing work that I have done on the current project area and I added some more trees. I'm running out of stockpiled trees and need to make some more. Added some guardrails on the ends of the diner to protect from errant cars.
10-06-19 005.001.JPG

Chet - 815 miles in a day sounds like my trips!
Z - Meant to comment yesterday, great pictures from Utah.
Louis -
I'm disappointed, believing a widely debunked conspiracy theory?
No conspiracy here, it was the Shokin thing and the video was included in a New York Times post which I have no desire to locate. I never said that he did anything wrong. He took credit for something that as you posted, "the entire western alliance was also backing the United States in asking for the removal of the prosecutor who prosecuted no one". As an aside, there is no such thing as an honest politician from any party, from any country. Honest politician is the most flagrant oxymoron there is.

Everybody have a great day. Should have posted this earlier, but forgot to hit "post reply" before I started doing laundry!

Good mornin' y'all, Happy Sunday!

Lee: Fantastic photos.

Garry: Interesting take on tradition. I understand that NJT is painting ALP-46 units in heritage colors.
ALP-46 at Red Bank, NJ
Standard scheme in the linked photo, but they're the ones getting the treatment.

that's a pretty NP dome!

Sherrel: I wonder if that is the same dome that was sitting on a siding near Newark DE, back around 1998 or so. Noticed it while I was re-qualifying the South End of the NEC.

Still kind of chilly around here, 51° this morning, but warming with rain by tomorrow evening. Getting back toward the mid 70s. before the cold comes back mid week.

Last night's season opening Hockey Night in Canada was initially one sided, with the Leafs opening a 4-1 lead. As i their nature, they blew the lead and lost to Montreal in a Shootout. The third period and the overtime were very entertaining, although frustrating for the members of leaf's Nation.
Meanwhile, down the road in Buffalo, my Jersey Devils embarrassed themselves in a 7 - 2 loss to the Sabres.. If this talented Jersey team doesn't soon get their s**t together, I foresee an early coaching change.

Boris

As an aside, there is no such thing as an honest politician from any party, from any country. Honest politician is the most flagrant oxymoron there is.

Very true, Willie. Politics is like religion, people fall in love with one or another political identity, and don't see the same flaws in their side, that they find in the opposition. Fact checking is just as valueless, in that the source of the "fact' is usually also politically aligned. Personally, I don't benefit from the current group's policies, any more than I did with their predecessors. I just don't like the media bias, which is why I no longer pay much attention to current events. My vote doesn't count or matter any way, so it is what it is.

Social media is another problem, politicians of all walks fear unsubstantiated accusations via social media. People tend to believe and react to rumor, and ignore truth , so viral tweets have a greater effect on affecting public "opinion'. Even after the lie is exposed, and disproved, it continues to linger.
Two of my former co workers, one on the right, the other on the left, continuously post nothing but unsubstantiated re-posts that reflect their values.
These re-posts are not worth the band width that they occupy, but are constantly recycled. Most interesting point about my former co-workers is that while they were working, they were relatively level headed and not extreme.

On a more pleasant note, I enjoyed your photos/work as usual.

Boris

Boris, Willie and Sherrel thanks for your likes and complements

Willie. I know you went to Gulf Shores. My daughter played in the girls softball World Series there many years ago. I took some sand from beach and made several gravel lots on my layout using the sand and “N” scale ballast to make them. Here’s a pic of one of them. I wanted something to remind me of our great time there the wife and girls had a blast. The Reefers are a couple I Custom made also

3ED31A0D-95F1-44E8-8E5F-2D7B137E27B7.jpeg
BF8035E9-18FE-4CA2-A66D-66C03E7DA102.jpeg
A00B4D74-6B0E-42CC-97B8-1B48EA48E65B.jpeg
D31182FC-DDA8-4C9C-B255-4CE41CAD0302.jpeg

Another sleepless night was the norm here - I hate that! The Spousal Unit's normal is to stay up several hours later than I do and she will mostly sleep soundly 2-3 hours after I awake
I know the feeling. I was up until 5:30 this morning. It happens 2 or 3 times per week. Sometimes Melatonin will help, sometimes a couple of Benadryl, but last night nada. The wife does better, and I always tell her to not let me sleep past 11, but she always does because "you didn't get to bed until so late and you need your rest." Sigh.

It's sunny and 60 right now, maybe I'll go visit our cousins at the zoo (Hey! The only relative I'm ashamed of is the BIL in Iowa).

Lee- there is only one thing better than having a good camera, that is having great scenes to photograph.
Your reefer looks at home in that consist. Your other scenery has enough accessories to make your neighborhoods look lived in.
Obviously, the street cleaner just swept though.
Looking forward to more pictures.
Boris- consider carefully how much damage you are doing to your ligaments and muscles, not only in that knee, but the strain you put on the other knee and your back. I had a problem with my left hip about 4 years ago and almost waited too long to get it replaced. It still bothers me when I get too tired. IF you do the rehab, it hurts for a short time instead of ALL the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back