Running Bear's October 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning y'all. 45°, cloudy and damp this morning.

Want another tip; don't play the ponies!

Back when I used to work the Race Trains, (Delaware Park - Bowie), I used to see the same fellows nearly every day. They were the bet runners, the compulsive gambler, and the professional gambler. On the way back, you could tell by the body language how well or poorly they fared.
I spent one entire season at Delaware Park, and essentially had the run of the track. I learned a lot about the Racing Sport and it's different sides.
Sort of a real life Damon Runyon novel. Racing was simpler back then, There were fewer ways to lose your money, while today, you can sit in your living room, and play the horses with your TVG account at your finger tips.

Boris

Good Morning All. 53° and cloudy. Rain in the forecast for tomorrow night and then finally back into the 70's by the weekend. Still well below average though. Propane guy came and installed the new gauge on the tank yesterday, but he screwed something up and it doesn't work. He knows what is wrong, but he has to wait until we empty the tank to try to correct it. Well that will be about 18 months as we average about 7-8 gallons a month usage and he put 120 gallons into the tank before realizing that he screwed up. I don't have to pay for the gauge ($76) until it's working and I am no worse off than before. Did some more wall installation in the bathroom remodel.
Today I visit the surgeon to have the cyst removed from the back of my neck. It has shrunk considerably since he gave me antibiotics two weeks ago. Supposed to be a simple in-office procedure.
Got sorta back into the routine in the train shed yesterday, did a little more work on the chain-link fence, still slow but I see completion soon. Ran a few more trains to keep everything moving. I did finally get up to date with database entry for all maintenance records into the computer. Spotted a few cars with excessive entries that I want to take a further look at.

Louis - Tiers are all about prescription drugs. Tier one is the least expensive generics that insurance companies like the most, tier five are expensive non-generic ones that leave you with expensive co-pays. Tier ones usually work as well as anything, but your doc doesn't get a kickback for allowing them. Guess that you didn't drink de-caf this morning!:p
Garry - Good to hear your journey was safe.
Karl - I like it.

Well I am about to watch the only TV that I ever watch any more, the first 45 minutes of Stuart Varney on Fox business.
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning ...

TV .... Typically satellite or cable companies charge a lot of money ....... and we still must endure the commercials if we watch TV.... .. I wonder about that.

WIllie .... Thanks for the comment about travel. I like Stuart Varney, too, but I don't watch every day.

I'm still busy with non-model-train stuff, but hope to get back to the layout later today.

Our cable bill was around $200 a month for internet, TV, and phone. We dumped the house phone since it was all junk calls anyway. We went with the ROKU as well. We had three cable boxes with DVR service at $11 a month each, and we bought our own modem saving another $12 a month. The upfront costs were about $400 we figur by not renting the equipment it will pay for itself in about 8 months, and we own it. When our contact with Comcast is up in the spring we are going to just subscribe to high speed internet and stream every thing through Hulu for $7.99 a month.

Last edited:
Good morning. 32 degrees to start off the day with the expected high in the mid 60's again.

We have been with DirecTV ever since it was available here in Montana. Due to the distances between towns and the mountainous area we live in, we could get very few TV channels. A few month back, I called DirecTV to see if we could get a better rate and mentioned leaving them and doing with another provider. They did not want me to leave and we worked out a deal with less expensive rates. We are with AT&T for cell service which gave us a $15 a month discount. In the end, we are new paying $26 a month with the same package that we had. I would recommend giving your TV provider a call and see if you can work something out with them. They don't want to lose customers. We have no competition when it comes to cell service up here. We were with a local company years ago which was bough out by Alltel which in turn was bought out by AT&T. Verizon is the only other nation cell provider available up here. We haven't had a land line phone for at least the last 15 years.

Curt - The printing company is coming along nicely.

I will probably go down to the train room shortly to run some trains.

Here's a rail picture for today.

89577e277ba1c60.jpg

Later

Last edited:
So fellers the time is upon me. Granted there's a hospital room available the misses is due to be induced on Sunday. My caboose (son) should be here Monday. So here's hoping. We have waited long enough and all pieces are in place. Down side is there's going to be some sleepless nights ahead. Also means my railroad building will be put on the back burner. I reckon I need to get a move on! Be nice if the mountain would build itself.

So fellers the time is upon me. Granted there's a hospital room available the misses is due to be induced on Sunday. My caboose (son) should be here Monday. So here's hoping. We have waited long enough and all pieces are in place. Down side is there's going to be some sleepless nights ahead. Also means my railroad building will be put on the back burner. I reckon I need to get a move on! Be nice if the mountain would build itself.

Justin .... Great news is coming in your household... Glad to hear about it.

Congratulations Justin! Remember when he gets older, to justify train related activities use the phrase "its for the boy!" Had 3 sons, used it alot!

Congratulations Justin!

Afternoon All,

Washed 3 vehicles this morning (wife, son, and mine). My truck needed it the worst. Build wise today I installed the 2 outer lights...and they work!!!:D. Most of you know that this can be a issue with me. I didn't try anything fancy this time. Tomorrow afternoon the family is going to the polls for early voting. It's interesting here, we have 1 person each for Republican, Democrat, and Independent.o_O We don't talk much about politics in our immediate family.:D

Sherrel- Thank you. I quit watching MLB after their strike in the 80's (I think)? About the only sports I watch on TV are the Olympics and College Football.

Chet- Thank you. Nice rail shot.

Justin- Congratulations to you and your wife. Tell your wife you need to keep working on the layout so it's ready when your baby has grown up enough. I'm sure she will see the wisdom in that! I don't envy you with the nights of little or no sleep.

20181023_133926-3024x2268.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good morning. It's 42 and mostly clear.
We have Directv, only because AT&T offered it as part of a buy one, get one free cell phone offer. Now, it's been rolled into AT&T, all from the same website. It will be interesting the next time I have to pay my bill. Which, by the way, I was forced to call and make a payment because my account was broken.
Watch them guys like a hawk. I've heard many a story about their rolling bills together and double dipping.

Watch them guys like a hawk. I've heard many a story about their rolling bills together and double dipping.
It has been tried with me already. Unsuccessfully, in the extreme. I don't take kindly to people, or companies, trying to steal from me.

Good morning. It's clear and 42.
I'm feeling a little under the weather today, hopefully I'll feel better shortly. Nausea is no fun...

Good Morning y'all. 45°, cloudy and damp this morning.

Back when I used to work the Race Trains, (Delaware Park - Bowie), I used to see the same fellows nearly every day. They were the bet runners, the compulsive gambler, and the professional gambler. On the way back, you could tell by the body language how well or poorly they fared.
I spent one entire season at Delaware Park, and essentially had the run of the track. I learned a lot about the Racing Sport and it's different sides.
Sort of a real life Damon Runyon novel. Racing was simpler back then, There were fewer ways to lose your money, while today, you can sit in your living room, and play the horses with your TVG account at your finger tips.

Boris
I love watching the horses run! I've been to Pimlico more times then I can count. I never bet more than $6 per race. I never brought home much, but I always came home happy. Going to Pimlico when there are no big stakes races is the best. Sometimes there may be less than 100 people in attendance. Those days it's great to go to the paddock to see the horses up close. They are amazing creatures!

Many times you can see on an athletes face (horse or human) whose is ready to compete. last night was a good example. Boston's pitcher; Ryan Brasier pitching in the seventh could not make a "pitcher's pitch" everything was up and out over the middle of the plate or out of the strike zone. you could see on his face his nerves were getting to him.

After the first hitter I said to my beagles (everybody else was asleep) "this guy is not going to get anybody out" he proceeded to load the bases. Lucky for Brasier, Manny Machado came up and hit the first pitch weakly to center. Manny has more talent than any player in baseball, but he is the dumbest "great" player I have ever seen! He must not have been paying attention. The 3 players before him worked the count to their favor and got a pitch to hit hard or walked. The pitch Manny swung at was at the top of the strike zone but at least 3 inches outside.

The Dodgers had the go ahead run on base, The Red Sox pitcher was struggling and his manager left him out there. The situation demanded patience, star players should produce in those situations, at least have a good AB! Manny did manage to get the sacrifice fly, only because the Red Sox center fielder, Jacky Bradley Jr.'s throw was 15 feet up the first baseline, so much for his "great" arm. To me that was the turning point of the game and I proceeded to fall sleep.

Playing in Baltimore for most of his career Manny has been compared to Brooks Robinson, what a joke! Manny is more athletic, has more power, better range and arm, but give me Brooks any day! Manny is just plain stupid when it comes to baseball. Baseball is a thinking man's game. I've seen Manny run into the 3rd out at third base at least 4 times in his time with the birds, never seen anyone else do it more than once and that is rare for any Oriole!

My Orioles were in last place when we traded Manny and we finished in last without him. The sad news is some team is going to give Manny 30-50 million to sign him, thank God it will not be the Orioles! I like the 5 players LA gave up to get Manny, great trade Orioles!

By the way the box score will show Manny had 3 RBI, but he did not get the job done when it counted the most. He did not even make a good attempt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back