Running Bear's November 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Happy "Día de los Muertos", Day of the Dead in English, also known as All Soul's Day. More on this later. Here it is clear and 36°, I think that we may have set a new low temperature record for November 2. Gradual warmup coming up, lower 60's today, mid-70's for the weekend and mid-80's beginning Monday.

No weekly grocery trek today, as I bought enough on Monday to last until next week. Instead, I have a man coming by to give me a quote on a new roof. It needs replacing, as the one that I put on myself in 2001 has reached it's end. I don't do roofs any more.
Yesterday, I had a cord of seasoned firewood delivered to supplement what I cut myself. Due to health reasons, I did not cut enough for the whole season last year, and I knew that this was going to happen. Somewhat surprised that the cost only went up by $75 since the only previous purchase in February 2021. I've always had enough of my own and I already probably have a season's worth for next year from the trees that the neighboring farmer cut down last month.

I have been spending time out in the train shed the past couple of days. I have been running trains and painting the backlog of figures on the workbench. There were over 70 in various stages of completion when I began on Monday, I have finished 26 so far and a few more just need minor touch-up. I have many scenes with no figures just awaiting a population.

Here are a few more pictures from the HO layout at the Texas City Museum, starting with some West Texas/New Mexico type rockwork. View attachment 176243
View attachment 176244
View attachment 176245
I guess if this is West Texas/New Mexico that rock city is the Gilla Cliff Dwellings(?) I was there once...and that was where i caught (almost) my biggest lizard ever,😃. Saw the thing sunning itself on a rock after i came out of the dwellings. Silly me instead of grabbing the thing right away, i started digging in my backpack for my camera. Meanwhile lizard must have sensed danger because it crawled between two rocks, tight enough for me to barely reach inside with my hand. "Forget the camera" i thought, "catch that thing". So in between the rocks i stick my hand. Lizard sensed the heat and started whipping its tail like a gator trying to smite me with it😆. I grabbed it by the tail but it puffed itself up and lodged up between the rocks. I was pulling on the tail hoping to convince it to back toward me, it didn't work. Left it alone, but danm that thing was about the size of a rat.

Well, howdy there internet peeps and those with sore arms...

All this talk about vaccinations reminds me that I'm about due for a tetanus booster.

Yep. I'll have a sore arm, and feel like crap for about a day. That's how vaccs work. They're teaching your body to recognize a new problem... or waking up the sleeping security guards and reminding them to open the files and update stuff for the latest variants of the old problem. Then your little T and B cells ramp up the library of Iron Man and Cap'n Muricah immune system to snap at Thanos.

Vaccs don't make like nothing ever happened, (AKA getting sick later from whatever virus/bacteria/fungus) they just help keep you from being VERY VERY SICK. When the tetanus invades (because sharp pointy, rusty stuff happens, and I'm a klutz), my body will go hmmm... Thanos is back. Wake up the Avengers and go get him.

In other news, I got my ears lowered today. Still working on the online store. It's a LOT more work than I expected. Another 20 hours or so and it might be ready.

Unfortunately, when you end up at the ER from a side affect of a shot, Mr. Vaccine is not your friend...
fortunately, those are few and far between.

But, that's a conversation between you and your doc. "Is this a good vax for me?"

Reminds me, my doc wants me to get the new Pneumonia vax. I'll probably ask if my insurance has the new C19 shot figured out how to bill yet.

Morning all,

39° and clear with a high of 63° later. Not much going on hopefully.

Been a busy week, but this is kind of my Friday as I'm off tomorrow so I can work overtime free on Saturday. Good thing I don't have a life..

I miss his humor. I have read most of his "Discworld" series and have even got my grandson reading them. I haven't read the Tiffany Aching young adult series (based on Discworld) but have read some of his other books as well. I have read the "Long Earth" series he cowrote with Stephen Baxter. I also liked his book "Dodger" based on Dicken Artful Dodger.

“Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you.” Terry Prachett (Small Gods)
The Tiffany Aching books are worth reading…..gotta love the WeeFreeMen

397458413_719448323553807_5139934973410159030_n.jpg

Good morning all. Unbelievably the sun is up and about. Still rather cold though. I guess Winter is fast approaching.

I pre-ordered some railway carriages that were due November/December. Just been informed they will not be available until May 2024? Not impressed. They were to be my Christmas present.

Delivering birthday presents today. Older granddaughter is 8 years old tomorrow. Where does the time go? It seems only 'five minutes' since she was born.

Good morning from So. Central Wisconsin. It’s 41f degrees, it feels like 31 and wind is moving pretty quick. The app says it’s calm but some of the tree tops are trying to see how close to the ground they can get without breaking. 51 for the high later. I am not looking forward to setting the clocks back an hour. Changing the clocks, another thing Washington DC can’t get together on…

I have a haircut at 9, a quick stop at the grocery store for one more purchase of soda on sale, get the Car exterior and interior cleaned and return home. I have the granddaughter tonight as the daughter is heading to a Swiftie party downtown and the grandson and SIL are going to the UWBadger men’s hockey game. The g/son’s best friend‘s mom is one of the Assistant Atheltic Directors so they will be in a suite. I need to find out if the g/d is overnighting or what late time will she be picked up…

No riding today but the horses will get free rein in the pasture today. If I swim today it will be late and with the g/d joining. She loves the water. The walking will be whatever totals show up on the IPhone. Usually between 7500 and 11,000 steps so minus the walk I’ll be around 6000 steps today.

enjoy the day

Half day at work today, this afternoon will be spent marshalling leaves and stuff in the yard.
KARL, Be happy that you are able to do that! Those days are long gone for me -
and, I wish they were not!

It's a balmy 46 this morning and up to 83 this afternoon with clear and sunny!
We have to leave a few minutes early for a gas stop (not us, the car)!

DRAT .. had to sine in again this morning? FLO, Large cup of "black" this morn to get the juices flowing.

Trying to juggle too much stuff, but I'm getting it done

Well howdy there peeps de interwebz

Troy it be again

Laundry day
Did the target run. Looking for a good pair of earmuff, so the ears will stay warm while I'm walking each day. I prefer to wear a ballcap with visor to block the sun's glare. This time of year it doesn't get very high, so it's always in my eyes when facing that direction.

No luck. I'll tell the wife we're stopping at Kohls this weekend. She'll be thrilled to shop for an hour. I just need earmuffs. I'd better take a book in case I finish shopping before her. :p

Got over 1,000 words worded on a new story in the new UF genre. Used more curse words in 1.5 chapters than I used in 19 Cozy Mystery books.

And I'm working on getting the typo hunter team to turn in their typo reports on the book I just got back from the editor. Some days it's like pulling hen's teeth...

Still working on the online store. Meaning I'm watching videos on how to market it, and slowly adding images to each book's sales page.

Back to the grind. Got more vids to watch and words to word.

Good Morning All. Clear and 44° here in North Central Texas. We've cleared this early cold snap and I am looking forward to the 80°+ temperatures next week. Low-70's today.

Granddog showed up yesterday evening while my daughter #2 and family go to Disneyland for a few days. I'm not sure why my grandsons are off school, but they are.

Out in the train shed, I still haven't decided what my next project will be. I misplaced the list!:( Of course I could just look around and throw a dart! :) Meanwhile I finished off another dozen figures at the workbench; it is beginning to look like progress for a change. I also completed the 4th quarter layout cleaning area; I should have been done sooner since it has no scenery except the recently modeled Ethanol refinery. But there were more cars than normal in the staging yard, and I also cleaned off 32 black ethanol tankers. Almost all of my freight cars can make 5-6 years between cleanings, but these black tankers of all kinds have to be cleaned about every 2 years, especially if I touch them.
I still have a few pictures left from the Foley AL Historical Train Museum's Lionel layout for everyone. Starting with workers re-painting a bridge.
IMG_0714.JPG

IMG_0719.JPG
IMG_0717.JPG

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0723.JPG

IMG_0725.JPG
IMG_0730.JPG

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0738.JPG

Louis - I am not personally anti-vax, I just don't believe that all of them are still needed. I still get tetanus and pneumonia vaccines; I never had the flu vaccine in my life and I have never had the flu. I probably will not get another pneumonia vaccine because a month after I got the last one, I had terrible pneumonia for two months in February-March 2022, and again for another month in September 2022. Vaccine didn't help me then. I have seen and read of unpleasant reactions to the later rounds of Covid vaccine that lasted more than just a couple of days. Was that the cause or something else??? I will never know. Sadly, I believe that in the case of Covid, all of our really vulnerable population took a hit in the beginning, and the rest of the population now has some natural or acquired immunity; which in many cases has made it much less devastating.
Curt - I fully agree about the overly red color in those cliffs on that layout, the real ones always seemed much more brownish to me. But it didn't detract from the overall layout in my opinion.
Hughie - There are many small signs on the N scale layouts that indicate that they are NTrak modules, so it is probable that some have appeared at train shows and exhibitions in the past.
Mac - Lucky you when you stuck your hand between the two rocks in West Texas. Rattlesnakes are plentiful out there and that's their preferred nesting site.
Tom O - I assume that a Swiftie party has something to do with Taylor Swift. When I was a pre-teen, they were for Tom Swift and folks showed off their scratchbuilt Tom Swift gadgets.

While I wasn't looking, since I no longer keep up with sports, it seems that the baseball team down the road won the World Series a couple of days ago. Congratulations Texas Rangers.

Birthdays today include both ends of the political spectrum, wanna-be footballer Colin Kaepernick is 36, and has-been comedienne Roseanne Barr is 71.
Meanwhile, everybody have a great day and a fabulous weekend. Play with trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back