Running Bear's November 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning gang!

Wife and #4 son got their Covid boosters 2 weeks ago, both felt like crap and ached for 2 days. Wife asked me if I was gonna do it, big Nope from me.

Garage door went Kaputt yesterday, looks like the chain may have come off the motor but can't see for sure because the lil red truck is disabled under the motor. Gotta get it running and outside tomorrow to investigate/repair. Door still works manually, but where is the fun in that?
So what is the speed of dark?
At least 670,616,630 mph (1 mph faster than light)

Saturday I have been invited to an op session on a former club mate's large B&O layout. Gathering starts at 8:30 with coffee and Q&A session, then the fast clock starts running at 10. Break for beans (lunch) at noon, then run out the rest of the clock by 4 p.m. Sounds like a full day of trains!

Need more coffee, BBL

Good Morning All. Happy "Día de los Muertos", Day of the Dead in English, also known as All Soul's Day. More on this later. Here it is clear and 36°, I think that we may have set a new low temperature record for November 2. Gradual warmup coming up, lower 60's today, mid-70's for the weekend and mid-80's beginning Monday.

No weekly grocery trek today, as I bought enough on Monday to last until next week. Instead, I have a man coming by to give me a quote on a new roof. It needs replacing, as the one that I put on myself in 2001 has reached it's end. I don't do roofs any more.
Yesterday, I had a cord of seasoned firewood delivered to supplement what I cut myself. Due to health reasons, I did not cut enough for the whole season last year, and I knew that this was going to happen. Somewhat surprised that the cost only went up by $75 since the only previous purchase in February 2021. I've always had enough of my own and I already probably have a season's worth for next year from the trees that the neighboring farmer cut down last month.

I have been spending time out in the train shed the past couple of days. I have been running trains and painting the backlog of figures on the workbench. There were over 70 in various stages of completion when I began on Monday, I have finished 26 so far and a few more just need minor touch-up. I have many scenes with no figures just awaiting a population.

Here are a few more pictures from the HO layout at the Texas City Museum, starting with some West Texas/New Mexico type rockwork.
IMG_0795.JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0797.JPG

IMG_0803.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

At this point, I have lost track of which ones that I have posted. I'll see if I can make a list for myself so I don't have any repeats.
I still have some more new ones from the Lionel layout in Foley AL to post.

David - Good news from the doctor. Now just don't do anything to mess it up.
Louis -
Got the latest covid vaccine from my doctor's office yesterday. My arm doesn’t want to move, and it is swollen. I’ve never had that before.
I don't do the Covid vaccines any more. Each successive one (3 that I took), produced aching and swelling side effects after the first, so I decided that they weren't for me. I still have not gotten Covid.
Patrick -
Ever been in government? 😁 Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey have nothing on us.
I know how that works from my sister's experience working for the Department of Education back in the 1980's. Among other things, she tried to quit and go on the "mommy track". Her boss made a deal with her, full salary and she came in for 3 hours on Tuesday and Thursday only. Her job was to read a bunch of newspapers and clip out any articles referencing the Department of Education and put them in a folder for her boss. She later found out that if he had one less employee in his department, his job would be eliminated and he would be transferred to Timbuktu. She left after 7 months out of boredom anyway.

"Día de los Muertos" - Around here the graveyards are a flurry of activity. I have posted this before, but the Mexican families set up tables full of food and liquor on top of their ancestor's graves and party there all day on November 2. Occasional fights do break out as darkness and inebriation generally coincide.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning from Wisconsin. The warming trend starts today! 29f degrees now feels like 23 but heading to a hopeful 50 this afternoon. Much nicer than the highs in the 30’s that we’ve been having.

No plans for the day other then get the horses exercised, the swim and walk in then spending some time on the layout.

enjoy the day

Why would you do that?
Because my doctor said so. An American Medical Association survey showed over 96% of doctors are fully vaccinated. I'll wager of those 4% who are not vaccinated, many work for ambulance chasing lawyers.

I didn't go to medical school. The school of Hard Knocks only taught me about firsthand experiences. I learned a lot, but there is so much more I don't know. I don't tell my doctors how to do their job. No more than I would tell the pilot of the plane how to fly.

I don't do the Covid vaccines any more. Each successive one (3 that I took), produced aching and swelling side effects after the first, so I decided that they weren't for me. I still have not gotten Covid.
This is my fifth vaccine/booster. Each one caused a reaction that did not last more than a day. This last one caused my arm to swell. That went away a few hours after waking up. Although my arm is still stiff and sore. Moving around seemed to help. Most days I wake up I feel terrible, ninety-nine times out of a one hundred I feel better after moving around. Today was no different, I feel like my usual crappy self now. 🙂

From what I understand this latest covid vaccine/booster provides protection against several variants. Maybe that is why the reactions are stronger.

Vaccines are supposed to casue a reaction from the immune system. When my immune system ramps up it's going to have a negative effect. It only lasts a brief time. I think it's a terrible thing when you don't have a negative reaction. I think a strong reaction equals a better defense against the virus. That is just my way of thinking. I have no science to back that up.

My wife and I each had the covid virus. I had strong reactions to the vaccines, she did not. Covid for me was like a bad cold that lasted 24 hours. Her symptoms dragged on for two weeks.

In my crude low life way of putting it, "tough titty makes a strong baby"

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Started out the day with a walk at 56F and a very cold breeze (this is FL). After doing chores I did a NBW test on a piece of scrap then took the plunge and did half of the NBW's (26). I hope to finish them tomorrow. MOH is driving Dad to his VA appointment tomorrow because she has one at the same time. When they are there, I'm getting a haircut.

Joe- Silly me, when I read that your latch was frozen, I thought from the cold! :D

Smudge- Very cool WM video.

Louis- I received my combo vaccine on 10/05 and my arm still hurts off and on. I get them because MOH insists on it, but probably a good thing with Dad living here. I think we should question our doctors when we don't understand something.

Karl- Sounds like fun. I hope you had a great time.

Willie- Great photos, although the red looks a bit overdone from my memory. I remember more of a dark rust color on the hills around El Paso.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon, all! A chamber of commerce day here in H-Town. Not a lot to report on. I did try a mini-train session and got about a third of the cars moved and spotted.
Willie - I seem to remember at least part of the N scale layout at local train shows. I know I've seen Superman, the hot air balloon and the construction site where the front end loader moves back and forth.
Just for a laugh
1698962201337.png

STAY SAFE
LATER

Afternoon folks -- Kate and I just made a test run to Newport and back. We were going (on an invite) to the two G- sons high school's Grand Parents Appreciation shindig, but there was no one to open the gates at the school? Seems that the Spousal Unit had copied down the wrong day and we were 24 hours early. :eek: Damn, we had a great parking place too! If you have never been to Newport - it is akin to Manhattan, NY, in trying to find a parking place. Continuing on - after discovering the mistake on the return to home - we stopped in Corona at a restaurant very near the freeway called 'Goodfellows' for brunch/lunch.
The cafe is decorated with about a thousand 16x20 and larger photos floor to ceiling of just about any movie star that has ever been in films. I had Chicken Fried steak, eggs, hash browns, biscuits & gravy. Mrs. had a couple of mimosas and blueberry flapjacks. We are both "full up" and with enough leftover for dinner tonight - we good!

WILLIE -- I took the first three shots and mostly with no bother EXCEPT a very sore arm. I have decided that I don't want any more due that I have too many who have had C-19 afterwards ans several more than once. I have been lucky in that regard ... though MOH and one BIL has had C-19 4 times - after the first three!
I just do not believe that the powers in charge had researched it enough before pumping it out there.
Last time I let them flu shot me was 4 years ago. I was so sick from them twice that I said - NO MORE! Lucky there too with no flu?

ION - was 91 here yesterday and 88 today as we speak. No news on the fire, but heard that it has grown in size. Winds ar5e mostly very light and hopefully will stay that way?

Last edited:
Finished earlier than usual today. Went down to the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania after conferring about blueprints with one of the staff. Groundhogs view of DD1, the first series build electric to haul trains into and out of Penn Station in Manhattan:
IMG_20231102_161340891_HDR.jpg

This is not steam, these 80" wheels with jackshaft belong to that double unit DD1:
IMG_20231102_161731502_HDR.jpg

And from the sunnyside:
IMG_20231102_160815032.jpg

This is part of the blueprints:
IMG_20231102_171625453~2.jpg

It's a Baldwin decapod built for Lehigh and New England, class F-1 (second series from 1931)-the model i'm building.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back