Running Bear's November 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
My doctor asked me how many cups of coffee I drank in a day. I told him about 4. He told me that's to many. I cut it down to one in the morning.
Snowman what does your doctor say about the 12 cups a day?
Swal
Channeling best "Yoda" voice: "Doctor? What is this doctor speak you of?"

Actually, twelve cups a day was back then. As I demonstrated here a month or so ago, I have to be careful with caffeine now. More decaf, less of the real stuff.

What's your favorite railroad? Mine has got to be MILW, CNW, or the SP

DB (Deutsche Bahn) (Germany), Rhätische Bahn (Switzerland private railway), and the JR system of railroads (with heavy emphasis on JR West) [Japan]. But I am an oddball.

My lone US railroad is Union Pacific (4 locomotives and a bunch of double stack cars and a few flat cars) since UP is prevalent in my local area, and we occasionally see them -- especially going up the canyon to Wyoming, but I have really no personal connection or experience with real-life US railroads.

Last edited:
Well looks like we need to prepare for some serious price gouging coming in a few weeks....if the STRIKE happens. Ya'll be prepared and stock up on foods etc. Things may get dicey. I actually support the guys as they have to get an approval in 30 day advance for a doctors appointment? That's ridiculous not to mention not enough time off either wow.

I am not really a Union guy. Terry is and her family was Union except for her mom. However, the Railroad worker is considered by Corporate and Senior Management a detriment to the railroad and costs money and hurt the profit lines. That’s terrible…

I wish they could strike and show the USA how vital they are. But, please notice. It’s not the Class One’s lining up asking for Congress to intervene, it’s 400 other groups. Management will win this and say they got a 25% increase. The party of the common man will fall firmly in lockstep with the other party of business interests first. It’s about who puts the money in the politicians pocket.

Sad, and yes stock up on the vitals.

Afternoon All,

Started out with my morning walk then did a couple of inside and outside chores before starting to mess with the partial Christmas Tree which was a real pain getting the prewired lighting to work properly, it's up but not decorated. I'm not sure what's on the agenda for tomorrow but hopefully some train room time.

Thank you for the photo likes yesterday.

Guy- Sorry to hear about your accident. I'm glad you're doing better. Nice photo.

moermusic- I'm very sorry to hear about your sister.

Christian- I am very sorry for your family's loss.

TomO- It's great that Terry runs trains.

Mikey- Great modeling. Is it your layout or a club?

I hope everyone has a good night.

nice looking engine for sure Smudge !
I hope so, this is a Class 37/4 (altogether there are 6 variations), which I ordered nearly 2 years ago, come's with all the bells and whistles too, they've even added wheel squeal which is programmable and wasn't on the original spec's, plus they've made provision for either EM or P4 drop in wheelsets. There's a whole host of spec's which I wont repeat, but for anyone interested.

I hope so, this is a Class 37/4 (altogether there are 6 variations), which I ordered nearly 2 years ago, come's with all the bells and whistles too, they've even added wheel squeal which is programmable and wasn't on the original spec's, plus they've made provision for either EM or P4 drop in wheelsets. There's a whole host of spec's which I wont repeat, but for anyone interested.

Is this the Chugginton locomotive? (what Chuggington was based on?) Seems to have the same sort of nose and windshield droop

Good evening, and hope my American friends have had a grand Thanksgiving!

Curt - The lady and daughter are not all alone in the middle of nowhere. They have a whole hamlet behind them! :D

Alcomotive - The boxcars are on top of a coaling trestle. A truck would pull up beside the trestle and coal for heating would be shovelled from the boxcar into the truck box. Coal trestles were built so the boxcar would be on a slight angle, leaning toward the coal transport.
I've thought hard about putting a coal trestle in my layouts yard, and still might do it. I believe I have the required acerage.
Walthers does make a coaling trestle model:
View attachment 156635
View attachment 156636

Although the photographers main subject in that pic was the women and child, the photo carries heaps of other important information.
There's the 3rd class depot that isn't there anymore, the coal trestle and extensive track layout, and way off in the background are what I believe to be lumber stacks. I believe that way over toward the treeline is where they loaded lumber onto boxcars. Today, that area is taken up by a highway.
Here's the photo again, one last time:
View attachment 156637

Plus, here's a couple more of the same 3rd class depot:
View attachment 156638
View attachment 156639
I have it part way scratch-built out of balsa. It waits patiently for my attention to complete it.

Have a great evening!
Don't know how I missed this I do remember the photo That coal dock you have Mine from years ago

Attachments

• DSC_0333.JPG
    DSC_0333.JPG
    440.2 KB · Views: 46
Afternoon All,

Started out with my morning walk then did a couple of inside and outside chores before starting to mess with the partial Christmas Tree which was a real pain getting the prewired lighting to work properly, it's up but not decorated. I'm not sure what's on the agenda for tomorrow but hopefully some train room time.

Thank you for the photo likes yesterday.

Guy- Sorry to hear about your accident. I'm glad you're doing better. Nice photo.

moermusic- I'm very sorry to hear about your sister.

Christian- I am very sorry for your family's loss.

TomO- It's great that Terry runs trains.

Mikey- Great modeling. Is it your layout or a club?

I hope everyone has a good night.
Thanks Curt.

Soon after I had all the track work down, the main and the 1st papermill, I had a stroke. I couldn’t be left alone at home after the rehab stint and I wanted to run some trains. I hadn’t gotten around to installing my RailPro system so I ran 1 train, switching the mill. She acted as the conductor/switchman. Maybe once a week for 2 years.

I pre-ordered a Protothrottle and purchased a ESU Cab Control DCC system. Got them installed and she said, why did I spend so much on the PT? She wanted to try it. After that she was the engineer and I was the ground pounder. She is the one to suggest “we” needed another one. Now she will suggest we operate and those are usually 1-1.5 hour sessions. When I operate alone, I go in 15-30 minute segments and pick up wherever I left off. It is more fun for me when we operate together. This week she has to be the ground pounder as I am perched on a bar stool.

I am bouncing between benches. On the big bench I am putting together a paper mill for a friend. Getting bored, I need a 1 hour break. I decided a few pipe loads need to be assembled as an easy diversion. These will be delivered to the transload facility.

160 already primed cardboard straws, cut to 48’ and 42’ lengths. 4 high and 4 across 16 pipes equal a load. I made enough for 10 loads. When the glue dries they will be off to the paintbooth.

10 minutes left on the break. Need strapping!

Pulled out the .060 and .040 styrene sheets already cut to 48”x144” steel plate instead.
53C818F8-4C35-478D-96C4-2050E397D9F0.jpeg
B30E7116-B477-4484-86A5-DBCBDA184082.jpeg

Attachments

• DSC_0495.JPG
    DSC_0495.JPG
    397.3 KB · Views: 35
Hello all, I have a thread called Static Grass help, could someone help me figure out my problems? I have all the issues written on the thread and I'm not sure what to do with my new applicator. If someone would check it out and message me about what my problem is would be nice. also that is a nice ore doc above :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back