Running Bear's November 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Evening All!
25F and dark; been snowing all day - not much to show for it though. Have 4" on ground. Will see what night brings.

Fav RR's? Easy, GN, NP, SP&S
Ok, so have some SI, MILW and BN stuff too, but.
And, CPRail, CN and PGE.

Ya Ya, good thing I only like 2 Football teams. Seattle and who ever plays Dallas.

Later

Christian: Very sorry. I dug what I thought was my last dog grave (my last gift to my little four-footed friend, and even though she wasn't mine) about four months ago, and I get it. Like losing a member of the family. Well she was. And still is.

-----------------

Interesting evening. About thirty or forty patrol cars, and a number of firetrucks too, right outside my front door. I just went out to tell 'em "this happened about three years back. Accident, no one hurt, and plastic car debris everywhere. So just put it in my trashcan (which is only 1/4 full as a rule)," and sitting on out the curb for trash pickup tomorrow.

Fireman says: "Not a car accident. It's a shooter," at which point I turn right around and head back inside.

Some of the guys in my racing forum used to say: "If there aren't pictures, it didn't happen."

Not feeling any need to prove it. Besides, my God-awful cell phone is a ZTE anyway, which was just banned for sale in the US, along with Huawei (I DID mention I wanted something NOT made in China, and something that would not report my every keystroke to the CCP a few weeks back), so I'm not sure I can even find my pic/video app anyway.

An adult beverage sounds good right now...and 1:1 scale. Not N-scale.

Last edited:
My favorite is obvious, Santa Fe; ATSF style, not BNSF (Big New Santa Fe).
Totally get it. That abomination that was the "Flying Southern Pacific" logo, conjured up after my own favorite road--the D&RGW--bought out the SP, but was then disappeared INTO the SP, still sticks in my craw. Not only did the "artist" screw up the logo by completely trashing the letter "S," but he/they also put a CURVE along the bottom-side of the extend sweep out to the left end. Totally ruined the sleekness of that sweep, and they made it looked like a misguided whale had beached itself.

BUT NOT IN MY UNIVERSE! :D

Last edited:
789655.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Curt.

Soon after I had all the track work down, the main and the 1st papermill, I had a stroke. I couldn’t be left alone at home after the rehab stint and I wanted to run some trains. I hadn’t gotten around to installing my RailPro system so I ran 1 train, switching the mill. She acted as the conductor/switchman. Maybe once a week for 2 years.

I pre-ordered a Protothrottle and purchased a ESU Cab Control DCC system. Got them installed and she said, why did I spend so much on the PT? She wanted to try it. After that she was the engineer and I was the ground pounder. She is the one to suggest “we” needed another one. Now she will suggest we operate and those are usually 1-1.5 hour sessions. When I operate alone, I go in 15-30 minute segments and pick up wherever I left off. It is more fun for me when we operate together. This week she has to be the ground pounder as I am perched on a bar stool.
It's fantastic your other half likes to spend time with you and your hobby, usually we're left to our own devices.

And what's wrong with Dallas? Except the owner!
Willie: I guess that there is nothing 'wrong' with Dallas all-in-all; I just have been a Dallas hater for *years* as they always seemed to get press no matter how they were doing in the stats. Dallas this, Dallas that ... etc. Still like the cheerleaders though. It is kinda like Seattle - Raider haters for years which sometimes gets in the way - take that game on Sunday - Sea should have won hands down; although you know .. on any given Sunday.

Later

Hello, again.

Dave - I wasn't picking on you specifically, although I did suspect you would be one who would like the photos as much as I do.

mara - No, there was no narrow gauge here. Canadian National Railway has served this area for all my life, and in the early days it was probably Grand Trunk. Whitecourt is on what's known as the Sangudo spur, which comes off mainline Edmonton to Vancouver.
I suspect lumber in the ol' days was trucked into Whitecourt and loaded onto the train in the Whitecourt yard. The local yard was more extensive back then than it is today. Here's a photo from 1949, that shows a Dutch war bride and her child waiting for someone after arriving by train. View attachment 156501
One can see lots of track in the background that isn't there anymore today.

It's not uncommon to find old trucks in the bush somewhere around here.
This one was dragged out of the forest and put into the heritage center yard. I visit it quite often to take photos from different angles in different light. It is a Chevrolet product, as far as I know:
View attachment 156502
View attachment 156503
View attachment 156504
There's no doubt that you should find better photos via Google.

Have a good evening!
Man...send it over to me!!!!! Nice car. It's what we call opknappertje (something that needs a little repair)
Good morning all, 15° and clear, stars are were all out earlier and an owl was hooting incessantly while getting ready for the commute,

Not much traffic today except big dead deer in the middle of the road, I told the guys in the shop they will clear it out shortly...

Smudge and all - thanks for the morning chuckle

Mara - I will get some dimensions, oh, here they are:

View attachment 156506

These should be the best numbers. Source: Wikipedia

You will have to search on ebay to find the kit.

Another shot of the backside of the mill/office building. I need to get some details back here, thinking about a mule team, wagon, and guys loading lumber:

View attachment 156507

more later, Dave LASM
Thanks a lot. We had a fine ford museum in Holland. It was just fantastic. Bu the collector and owner died, the children had no interest whatever to keep the enormous amount of cars. So now its gone.
Beautiful scene Dave. I love lumber...

Afternoon All,

I did manage to test run 3 locos today and sidelined a 0-8-0 that Dad owns. It has pizza cutter wheels and constantly stalls on the ballasted Code 83 track (now in my display case). Most of the day was spent helping do things for MOH. Tomorrow will be all the last minute things before the family shows up.

Thank you all for the photo likes.

Dave- Thank you.

Guy- I actually think that photo is kind of sad with the lady and daughter sitting by themselves in the middle of nowhere. Love the truck photos.

TomO- Glad you're feeling better.

Louis- We did the same thing with our kids...in fact we still do!

Willie- Nice layout scenes.

Hughie- Nice layout shot.

I hope everyone has a good night and a HAPPY THANKSGIVING.
Curt, might be a sad photo...but:
a. might be they are waiting for the train to bring daddy home
b. might be a mother showing the girl what nice features for a rr lay out are there to be seen
c. just enjoying the scenery
😄

Good Morning All. Foggy and 51°. It's raining on the other side of IH35, about 7 miles east of here. And it's raining down south in Dallas where I am heading in a few hours; however it should stop there before I hit the road.

I don't remember a bad Thanksgiving in my lifetime. They have all been good to excellent. Well, I did cut my finger carving a turkey about 8 years ago, nothing a band-aid couldn't fix. We always have a Thanksgiving (and Christmas as well), with the entire family descended from my parents. Mom always had a great feast, although Martini's sometimes played havoc with the timing; both the meal timing and the turkey carving. After Mom passed away in '94, we still had them at Dad's house, although my #1 sister and 2-SIL's did all of the cooking. I was handed the carving knife around '99 when Dad turned 70, and it was my job until recently. After he passed in '04, we started rotating between several of my siblings homes. Eventually my #1 brother took over carving when the event was at his house. My #2 brother started a few years later when he was up for rotation. It has actually gotten close to unwieldy now with anywhere from 40-54 people attending. This year is down to 40 overall with 36 for dinner. In addition, after Mom passed, others started to bring side dishes, appetizers and desserts. Through it all, we have never spent Thanksgiving at home except for the last two Covid years.

Thanks for the reactions and comments yesterday.

I made some progress on the antique tractor seat, out in the train shed yesterday, however the pictures suck but I'll post them anyway
View attachment 156586
View attachment 156587
I made the seat itself from a piece of clear styrene packaging that was on some Woodland Scenics figures. I cut it out and trimmed it up. This was the only way to get the curvature that I needed.
View attachment 156588
I painted it black and made a crude mount.
View attachment 156589
View attachment 156590View attachment 156591
View attachment 156592
View attachment 156593
Still have to get some trees, figures and vehicles into the scene. I have some detail parts over on the workbench that I am also painting, that I posted a few weeks ago.
No more work out there until Friday.

Louis - Your trees reminds me of an incident earlier this week. A guest on Fox News was berating the White House for putting up a tree on the same day that the President was pardoning the turkeys. Fact: Fox had erected their tree outside the building the night before!

Today is the 51st anniversary of DB Cooper's infamous parachuting into the wilderness over Washington state, America's only unsolved skyjacking.

Everybody have a great Thanksgiving Day. Be safe, don't walk on ice.
Willy, you can bend (poly)styrene when you warm it. Use hot water or a hairdryer. I save all my beer cans and whiskey bottles different trades = different dimensions. When you feel its getting hot and soft you can carefully bend it. But good job.

I've seen those. The amount of etched metal parts on them no doubt is what pushes the price so high. Seems like 50 bucks is the neighborhood for a highly detailed freight car now. Probably worth it considering just how detailed they are.
who can buy a couple of freight cars priced like that. Yes they are great and super detailed. Why do we have merely pensionados enjoying our hobby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back