Running Bear's May 2024 Coffee Shop

Good Morning All. Cloudy and a bit warm at 70°. Still have that 40% chance of showers today with a high around 82°. Conditions outside are still soggy, but at least there's no dew this morning, YET! I dislike wet tennis shoes. Other than the saturated ground, today looks like a nice spring day.

Not a lot to report from around the estate right now. I did pick some Green Peas from the garden yesterday; we'll have them for supper tonight since I made tacos and Corona for Cinco de Mayo last night. Pulled a few weeds as I went down the row. Overall the garden looks good but the plants really need a couple of dry days. The garden is raised, but only by 3". Water squished out from under my shoes as I stood along the sides while picking.

Today will start with household chores, since I ran the dishwasher last night. I'll do the burn trash once it gets light outside. Wife is searching for stuff for the "honey do" list, since I have completed all that was already there. I also seriously doubt that I will be able to mow any of the out of control yard growth, except for the area around the train shed which is on higher ground than much of the rest of the yard. That's the result of digging a retention pond 42 years ago, and spreading that dirt next to the pond which eventually became the site for the train shed 30 years later.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I did complete that simple Bar Mills kit.
IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

I turned my attention to the new project section and started making roads out of tarpaper. Nothing like real asphalt to simulate asphalt roads! Started over on the very messy workbench
IMG_0085.JPG

Added parking space lines and glued this section down.
IMG_0089.JPG

Moved the fire hydrant in front of Garner's Market over a bit since it was blocking the drosswalk, but I am going to remove it today as I realized that there already is another across the road.
IMG_0090.JPG

The continuation of the road will be offset a bit to make better use of my space.
IMG_0091.JPG

Terry - Did you ever find the washer???
Tom O - Ah yes, the joys of neighborhood living! I don't miss it at all.
Grizzled - I only remember seeing one Oliver tractor in my life, but I have seen the same one several times at the annual Antique Tractor Show in nearby Lindsay TX. It's been on display but it does not participate in the tractor pull contest.
Curt - Hope that you're feeling better today.
KG - Good luck with the new job. Is it related to your woodworking hobby?

A couple of memorable birthdays today, Say Hey kid Willie Mays is 93, rock star Bob Segar is 79.
Everybody have a good Monday.

Good morning (actually pretty much afternoon now) from the UK.

The SW9 is getting mucky:
20240506_132128.jpg

Meanwhile, I just swapped out the rubber gromits that hold the old blue box motor in, these are a bit err tired!
20240506_132133.jpg

I don't suppose these are still sold as a replacement part are they? I know you can get the larger two prong type for SD and GP Blue Box ones.

Good morning (actually pretty much afternoon now) from the UK.

The SW9 is getting mucky:
View attachment 187079

Meanwhile, I just swapped out the rubber gromits that hold the old blue box motor in, these are a bit err tired!
View attachment 187080

I don't suppose these are still sold as a replacement part are they? I know you can get the larger two prong type for SD and GP Blue Box ones.

Good 43F Morning!
Looks like we will be getting some rain. The word is 1-1/2" of it. That should help out the forest fire situation, and green things up.

I successfully got that garden arbour built before the wife's days off. Now she can plant all the climbing roses she wants.
Arbour_05-05-2024.JPG

Not very professional. The wife is happy, though, which is the main object to me.

John - Nice save on the SW9.

Willie - Cool idea using roofing felt for the asphalt. I might try that out on the only asphalt road on my layout, as I'm not happy with the lighter grey paint that I applied.

Something that has always bothered me is the way artificial lighting changes the colour of things. The paint I'm using for my sidewalks is almost an exact match to the outside sidewalks in natural light. Under the artificial light in my basement, though, the colour looks greenish and darker.
Just saying!

Looks like I have to go on a 7hr drive to another town with the wife tomorrow.
I'll be bringing the camera; trains along the way and landmarks that won't be there forever.

Have a great day everyone!

Good 43F Morning!
Looks like we will be getting some rain. The word is 1-1/2" of it. That should help out the forest fire situation, and green things up.

I successfully got that garden arbour built before the wife's days off. Now she can plant all the climbing roses she wants.
View attachment 187082
Not very professional. The wife is happy, though, which is the main object to me.

John - Nice save on the SW9.

Willie - Cool idea using roofing felt for the asphalt. I might try that out on the only asphalt road on my layout, as I'm not happy with the lighter grey paint that I applied.

Something that has always bothered me is the way artificial lighting changes the colour of things. The paint I'm using for my sidewalks is almost an exact match to the outside sidewalks in natural light. Under the artificial light in my basement, though, the colour looks greenish and darker.
Just saying!

Looks like I have to go on a 7hr drive to another town with the wife tomorrow.
I'll be bringing the camera; trains along the way and landmarks that won't be there forever.

Have a great day everyone!
Guy, I have gotten lights that have similar temperature no natural sunlight, I think it's 5000k.

I don't remember if I posted pics of the wife's jungle outting.

439895034_18425125309035711_3163401100954241942_n.jpg

She finally realized that our patio is NOT conducive to growing veggies. The garden boxes have been repurposed into flower boxes. Baskets have been hung. The red Coleus plant she puts out every year, then cuts starts from it before winter hits. This year, she's got more starters than she needs. The coleus gets big and bushy every summer, so she feels like she's accomplished something.

Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 9.16.41 AM.png

In other news, gas was at 3.16 a gallon (US$) at Meijer this morning so I filled up the Camry.

Stopped by the REAL audiologist office right outside of Meijer, and got an appointment for tomorrow afternoon. Wife isn't thrilled that I'll likely be spending $4K+ on hearing aids instead of the usual $1600 at Costco. But she also know what I've been through with the Tinnitus.

Last edited:
Good morning. Watch says its about 38F now (11am). It was 34F per the watch in the night. One of the weather apps says "Frozen Mix" today and tomorrow (in various degrees). Haven't looked outside yet today to see what it looks like. I thought we were done with this nonsense.

I woke up around 4:30am this morning and couldn't go back to sleep. When it was time to get out of bed for morning work meetings I was coughing and sniffling and my brain was in a fog so I sent a message to the guy in charge of the meeting and said I wasn't feeling well and went back to bed for about 2 hours. Between 4:30am and 7:30am I probably did doze a few times for 10-20 minutes at a time but that doesn't really help.

Lots to do today. Both work and tonight laying flooring

Afternoon All,

Feeling better today. Started out with laundry then a couple of small outside chores then a trip to the pool store for chlorine. After getting home I did some removal of boxes that previously held building kits that are now on the layout. In a Walthers box (roundhouse) I found the plastic parts for a shed. I figure to build it and put in by the new tower.

Troy- Nice job with the painting.

Karl- The backdrop looks outstanding.

kgstakes- Good luck in the new job and home.

AemJaYStrains- How fun with the new train acquisitions.

Bill- Nice photo.

Patrick- Best wishes to your boss's daughter. Good luck with the weather.

Willie- Nice layout shots.

Joe- Nice job on the K9a. I sent you a PM.

John- Your switcher is coming along nicely.

Guy- Congrats on finishing the wife's project. Safe travels tomorrow.

Chad- I hope you feel better.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Rest and feeling better should be the priority.

I hope you feel better.
I slept a couple hours and got up a little after 10. Feel a bit better. I'm doing some day job work that I'm behind on and waiting for a delivery driver to call and tell me they're delivering the bamboo 4'x8' sheets (some 3/4" and some 1.5") so I can meet him.

It is 45F out and has been overcast and rainy today. Kind of sucky overall. All the snow is gone from yesterday.

LOUIS - That is the best race that I have ever seen - Even the Spousal Unit has watched it plus the other pic that you put up several times. The entire Family here used to "have a day at the horse races".
There would be 40-50 each year for the afternoon. Sad that as many have passed and the remainder have aged so much that we quit a few years back. That was back when "Cigar" was in the
Winners Circle.
I'll give you a STAR for posting that .. :)😁

Back