Running Bear's May 2024 Coffee Shop

I just did a quick search. These look to be pretty rare, or so it seems. There are a couple on eBay, but they want almost $80.00 to ship to the UK. Is that the going rate for shipping on a locomotive?

Unfotunately, yes. Shipping costs from the US and mainland Europe to/from the UK have shot up to eye watering levels in recent years, the added exorbitant con of the so called Ebay Global Shipping Program where they add a significant wedge onto the cost to line their already bulging coffers makes it even worse.

There is a reason why a lot of international trade in model railroad equipment to/from the UK has all but disappeared, a certain thing called Brexit here in the UK which has created an immense amount of extra red tape and expense to the point where trader just can no longer be bothered hasn't helped either.

There is a reason why a lot of international trade in model railroad equipment to/from the UK has all but disappeared, a certain thing called Brexit here in the UK which has created an immense amount of extra red tape and expense to the point where trader just can no longer be bothered hasn't helped either.
Brexit hasn't impacted on imports from the US, just getting stuff between mainland Europe and the UK, it's not that hard and we used to do it before when the European Union was the Common Market, Importers/Exporters have just gotten too used to not having to do it. I did long haul, through France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Spain and Italy and had to clear my load through each customs point, the average was 30mins each time.

This one is DCC/sound. I know you said you preferred a DCC ready version, but this is what I found available.
As you said, a rare loco, the one I found was $69 more and didn't ship to the UK, so this is a bargain, Oh! and shipping was $46, MMMMmmmm I wasn't going to buy any more was I, Oh well, what can I say, a must-have is a must-have. :D

I hope Hughie, Willie and anyone else that lives in the area of the flooding in TX are safe.
Curt - Thanks for asking. I actually live south of Houston. In this last round of storms, we barely got any rain at all. Unfortunately some of the areas north of Houston are bumping Hurricane Harvey levels of flooding. The dam at Lake Livingstone is releasing more water from the lake than they did during Harvey.

I hope Hughie, Willie and anyone else that lives in the area of the flooding in TX are safe.
Curt - Thanks for the thought. I am safe as that area is about 280 miles away from me. While I get some standing water from time to time, I am on relatively high ground here. The nearby roads and the flood plain across the road can flood occasionally from runoff, affecting only my ability to get in and out at times.

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds I said I was not buying any more locos because I had to save money for the Military Tribute Set due next year, so.... yes I did.oops
I already had my answer. I went back and looked at the listing shortly after and seen the listing had ended! 🤔

That is going to be a great addition to your fleet, a great looking locomotive!

Evening all,

Did some work around the house, nothing big, and then took a nap.

Terry: I was being funny, as to get the disabled vetern tag, one needs to be medically discharged from the military, not just a vet who is disabled after completion of his service. Man, I've been out 40 years and disabled in the last 15... I didn't necessarily mean to impinge on those who were injured during their service as they gave far more than I did during my time in. It was during the Carter Administration (Damn, I'm old!).

Last edited:
Good morning!
FAMILY GUY_DOG.png

NKP_CONGERVILLE IL.jpg

Congerville IL NKP/N&W

Well, howdy there internet peeps and those with Tinnitus! Sorry: THOSE WITH TINNITUS!

It's Troy again...

I had a rough tinnitus day and night. Ended up awake at 1:30 and knew I'd best head down to the recliner. Put the babbling brook on the youtubez, the earbuds in the ears, and the cat put himself on the blanket I was using. After convincing said cat to not chew on the wire between the computer and earbudz, I did get some sleep. Woke up at 6:30

Yesterday the tinnitus climbed to a 7 out of 10. It was at 9 when I woke at 1:30. Previous good days, I had it down to a 2 and could ignore it. New good days were getting it down to a 4 or 5 (more 5s than 4s).

Yesterday it ramped up in the morning and didn't stop despite all of my treatments?

I've been trying to figure out triggers for it. With the pulled muscle in the back, I'd been taking ibuprofen. And more for the sore muscles the week before. Maybe??? Ibuprofen can be damaging to the auditory system, so I've been sparring in its use. And that's probably more of a long term damage than a short term ramp up... but???

the other thing I've changed is alcohol and other sugars (like donuts and poptarts). I laid off all of those for the past three weeks. I re-started with the bourbon cocktails end of last week.

The third thing I've been dealing with with my stress and anxiety. I'm a worry wart and "rehearse" potential conversations over and over. This ongoing tinnitus cycle is making me take a hard look at those behaviors. I am working to defuse those "conversations" in my brain as they begin. A lot of deep breathing with eyes closed. "Mindfulness" for those who understand the term.

So, for this current wave of the high pitched whine, it looks like I'm cutting the alcohol again. Barring an unforseen injury, the ibuprofen is already off the table.

Hearing aids: I was excited to get the Jabra hearing aids. But, I'm going in today to get them adjusted. Reading the book, I see they have a Tinnitus Sound Generator (White noise)... but, it doesn't give me a lot of control. I see why they recommend I use the sound generators built into my iphone.

We'll see if the tech can do anything about getting the new ears up to snuff.

Good morning from a blue sky morning in Wisconsin. 48f degrees now with a WeatherChannel app guess of 72 later. No rain, finally. While we never received the predicted rain totals, 5” of rain over the last 10 days is significant. It has helped replenish sloughs, ponds, streams and offically designated wetlands

Enjoy the day

Back