Running Bear's March 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Everyone.......overcast and I can tell there's rain in the forecast by the way my joints feel.

Train layout today with no specific project in mind, but there's always work to do. I do have any area near the Interlocking Tower that needs some vegetation of some sort.

Garry: Great photo of the steel operation and ore cars. I maybe should have my two DM&IR locomotives pull the ore train. After all that's why I purhased them. Both are Kato and have DCC, but only one with sound.

Chet:
You have more people on your layout than most real small towns in America have living.

That's about all to report.

Greg

#############################

About DST, it's assine ! Change the clock 1 hour ahead or 1 hour back, absolutely ridiculous. Move it only 30 minutes, one way or the other and you'd be right all year around !! According to Paul Harvey it was a social experment by two senators(?) to see if they could get the Lemmings, You & Me, to adjust our clocks cause someone in government said we needed too ! Just another manipulation to get people to quit thinking for themselves and be led around by there noses and a ring ! Time to wake-up !! If you want too ?
DAVID I thought I was the only one to remember Paul Harveys story about DST!! America became "poorer" when we lost him....
Dave in Penn Valley

Afternoon All,

Spent several hours today washing and vacuuming 3 vehicles. After that I checked fluid levels, tire pressures and took 3 spare tires for needed air. MOH is driving to a sewing convention on Thursday and I'm driving to Gainesville on Friday for a NHRA event. Tomorrow I'm going to the MRR club that I just rejoined again and it's OPS night. I received notice that the missing kit part was shipped today.:)

Garry- Superb layout shots. For some reason I like the shifter picture best (not sure why).

CCoffran- Thanks for posting the video.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Chet--Great shots as usual! The pickup with the pieces of wood in back stands out with me

Johnny-- your logging camp is sweet!

I'm back..............a series of household duties is preventing from going back to the basement.

Worked on several cars replacing wheel-sets and painting the wheels. I add a dry brushing of Rail brown to the truck's springs that really brings them brings them to life. Installed couplers on a Santa Fe box car that was missing a coupler and coupler cover.

Then the housework starts....

The garage door operator wouldn't work properly. The door would go up but not down, down only if you held the close button. Found a bird seed top strip for opening thread was barely blocking the photocell. Pretty sensitive. The manufacture's help desk just had expensive solutions and the operator is only less than two years old.

Added the CM&N loco to the top of my spreadsheet inventory of rolling stock for the railroad. I need to continue with the inventory.

Made a list of my Walthers' shopping trip tomorrow. Found two Central Valley flat cars for $10.98 for two kits. Bargain.

Wife's coat's zipper broke and I had to repair that for a time away from the layout.

One telephone call....then another call.

Came to the computer to add to Walther's shopping list. I need to find a source for detail items like old tires, chairs, boxes, and other clutter.

Back to the basement.

Later....

Greg

Good evening. It's raining and 40.
After I posted this morning, it started snowing.
Then, it started sleeting.
Then, it started raining.
Then it reverted to snow and sleet. It alternated all morning. It's finally just raining. but it's a COLD rain.

Something interesting happened a couple of days ago. One of my engines was missing a radio antenna, and I contacted Athearn about it. They asked for a photo of the missing antenna. Umm... I sent a photo of the area where the antenna went, with an obvious glue mark.
They asked for my address, then I didn't hear anything else from them.
For two months.
Then, I got an envelope in the mail from them, with a single antenna in it.

And postage due from the Post Office for $3.06.
For a 1 ounce envelope.

Good evening, everybody ....

Karl, Boris, Dave LASM, Chet, Greg, Curt, and any I missed : ..... Thanks for commenting on my ore train and blast furnace pictures.

Chet ..... Your town scenes with many people and vehicles are amazing. Thanks for showing the photos.

Johnny .... Your logging camp looks very nice.

Dave LSM ... That is a nice scene with the GP9 .

Greg .... I can understand all of those distractions. It's hard to find time for model railroads with so many other things to do.

Have a nice evening.

Something interesting happened a couple of days ago. One of my engines was missing a radio antenna, and I contacted Athearn about it. They asked for a photo of the missing antenna. Umm... I sent a photo of the area where the antenna went, with an obvious glue mark.
They asked for my address, then I didn't hear anything else from them.
For two months.
Then, I got an envelope in the mail from them, with a single antenna in it.

And postage due from the Post Office for $3.06.
For a 1 ounce envelope.
When I made inquiries a short time ago about whether I could get the ditch light casings of a certain type (without bulbs and wires), they told me to look up the models number e.g. ATHG 12345 on the box or in their model announcement files and quote it, they could see if they had them.

Wow, I'm the first this morning, it's 5:30 AM and nobody has said anything, yet !!! Where is Bruette?

It;s +20 degrees out and it hasn't started snowing yet! They have changed the forecast overnight from 5-8 inches to 8 to 12 inches for today. We need more snow like Toot needs more 100 degree days!

Last edited by a moderator:
When I made inquiries a short time ago about whether I could get the ditch light casings of a certain type (without bulbs and wires), they told me to look up the models number e.g. ATHG 12345 on the box or in their model announcement files and quote it, they could see if they had them.
The interesting thing was me having to pay an extra $3 to get the package from the Post Office.

Good Morning All. 61° and raining. Wait, this wasn't in the forecast until noon tomorrow. DST must be confusing Mother Nature. Woke me up about 0400 when it started coming through the open bedroom window. It was nice being able to sleep with the windows open the last two nights while it lasted. It was an uneventful visit to the dentist yesterday for the permanent crown that replaced the broken one. Fit right in with no alterations needed.

On a very sad note, one year ago today, we lost a very dear friend, fellow forum member Eric White, known here as The Big E. May he rest in peace with his maker. For those newer forum members who didn't know him, he valiantly and successfully fought throat and jaw cancer for 18 months and had moved back to his beloved home in Georgia for a couple of months before passing.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued detailing the current town project. Added more ground cover, finished installing the short Atlas picket fence, continued to add figures and actually made a couple more trees that I will install next. The plan for today, besides those trees includes adding more field grass, additional weathering on some structures, adding the electric meters that I have been painting and beginning to contemplate utility poles.
Here's another in progress shot of Bruckner Woodworking. Never mind the clutter on the other side of the tracks, I never think to clean it up before taking out the camera!:confused: Eventually it too will be completed.
03-08-19 001.JPG

And now one of the loading dock for the local pub and biker hangout, Suds Bucket
03-08-19 002.JPG
And while we're posting pictures of figures on the layout, here's a shot from outside the town of Charlottesville.
03-08-19 013.JPG

Dave - I like the early morning shot. My railroad also does not work at night, at least not yet. That despite having lighting in 25+ structures; none of which are currently hooked up to the lighting buss.
Johnny - Nice progress on the logging camp. A suggestion if I can, add some smaller stumps around the camp itself, firewood for the stove and bunkhouse.
Chet - Regarding those people with luggage, since I don't have any passenger trains or stations, I cut most luggage off and throw it in a small ziplock bag. Might eventually have a luggage shop somewhere.
Beady -
Spring must be close: those little, tiny ants are all over the bathroom sink.
We've found that peppermint oil is a great ant deterrent. They started around our kitchen sink about three or four weeks ago. They were gone in two days after application.

Well everyone have a great day and a great weekend.

It's 25 right now. Supposed to get up near 40, with a strong breeze. The wife wants to go to the zoo this afternoon; I'm not opposed, in principle, but she has trouble with the concept of wind chill.

A thought: For those who don't know, the USPS has a neat little utility available thru its app called Informed Delivery. You sign up, and every morning you get a report on every piece of mail and packages you're going to receive that day. It also lists and tracks all packages heading your way. Thought I'd mention this, since most of us here would rather exist without food than without packages.

Good morning, 36° and sunny. We are in for mild, above freezing temperatures and rain overnight and into tomorrow.

Willie: I like the subtle details around your structures, that make the scene "real", as opposed to "modeled". Also, thanks for remembering Eric White, on the first anniversary of his passing.

Boris

John, that’s a good feature to have from USPS.

I just got back from doing battle with the dealer, and now have two fun tioning remotes for the truck. The advisor said he’d never seen that before, and thought they might have taken the guts out for another one that was on the lot, and broken. I don’t mnow why he had to go there, the better theory is, it just didn’t get installed during production, but I know most service people won’t pass up a chance to bash on the sales force...
And I didn’t live long enough to get old by being stupid.

Good morning ....

We don't need more rain, but rain storms are forecasted later today.

Working on taxes..... We had more inome and more taxes. The lower tax rates defiantly are helping thankfully... Not done with them yet.

Beady ... We have USPS Informed Delivery Daily Digest ... It is an email with images of inbound mail. .... Good to have it.

Willie .... I enjoy your photos of your buildings on the layout. Bears, too !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back