Running Bear's June 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I almost forgot to mention, the reason I came on in the first place!
If anyone is in Baltimore on the 4th of July stop by our house and celebrate with us! Everyone and Anyone is invited!

We are having steamed crabs, pit ham and for the first time on the 4th of July I am smoking a 24.5lb turkey! I'll start it at 4am, I have no idea how long it will take to smoke it at 250 degrees.

We will also have my home made barbeque. I boil several large cuts of pork in beer to separate the meat from the fat and bones. Then I put the lean meat in the slow cooker with my grandsons favorite sauce; Sweet Baby Ray's sweet and spicy. I make enough to fill an 8.5qt crock pot but it's always gone before sundown. The only thing that I have ran out of every year! I ran out of crabs once as well, but I don't mind that because it saves my wife and I from having to pick the left overs to freeze. ;) I'm Baltimore born and raised, I love crabs, but I don't like to pick them anymore, they make my old, over worked hands hurt! I'll buy some "true blue" Maryland Blue crab already picked and have my Hungarian wife make the world's best Maryland crab cakes. Won't be no Indonesian crap at my house!
1561546548926.png

Of course we will have hamburgers, hotdogs, all kinds of brats and lots of other stuff! My wife's home made potato salad and her mushroom pasta are always among the favorites.

Personally I won't eat much, a hotdog and a hamburger is usually all I eat all day. I save my blood sugar for my favorite libations!
1561545328573.png

1561546291945.png

No need to bring anything, except maybe a designated driver. I got the rest and more!

Last edited:
One more thing, we will have lots of other drinks, soft drinks and many other adult beverages, I just posted my personal favorites, chances are if you like to drink it, we have plenty of it! Sorry no fruity beer or fancy flavored micro brews, My son-in-law usually brings some, but I won't buy that … ;)

Louis, thanks for the invite, but I plan to be "down the Oshun hon" that whole week. The pork sounds great, but you can keep the crabs. GF is allergic to shellfish and tree nuts, I havn't eaten a crab since I watched the BCPD pick a dozen off of a corpse fished out of the bay. yech!

Louis, thanks for the invite, but I plan to be "down the Oshun hon" that whole week. The pork sounds great, but you can keep the crabs. GF is allergic to shellfish and tree nuts, I havn't eaten a crab since I watched the BCPD pick a dozen off of a corpse fished out of the bay. yech!

You will be missed, but I can't blame you, I love the ocean, it's my favorite place to go! Have a safe and happy holiday!

PS you will have to stop by another time, you have not seen my new house, much bigger yard for parties and lots more room for trains!
I'm always happy to cook on the grill. I'll even make up some barbeque just for you! No shellfish and the only nut your girlfriend will have to contend with will be me! :), but she can just ignore me :)

Good morning everyone. 68 and partly cloudy.

Justin - Nice old railroading photos you posted yesterday. Great Father's Day gift!

Nothing to report from the train room. Daughter and SIL wanted to go to a friend's birthday dinner last evening, so they brought our almost-3-year-old granddaughter over for a few hours. That's always a riot. Lots of hide-and-seek and other silly games (the kind that wear grandpa out), swinging on the rope swing in the back yard, helping grandma in the garden, etc. Time goes by too fast!

Have a good day everyone.

Morning all,

I have a DR. appt in a bit. I tweaked my knee replacement again. Dr said I was being too hard on it last time. I've only broken it once and I thought I was being good...lol (yes I had a knee replacement in 2009 and a "revision" in 2010 (replaced the knee replacement). It feels like it did when he had to do the revision surgery.

I did add a few feet to the second loop last night. It's going more slowly as I'm trying to add a train yard on one side and room for town and industries on the other.

Started the table for the grandson's layout. He wants to do it in "N" scale so we'll see. On a 4' x 4' table that may be the only real option. If we do "N" we'll make the table shorter as he's shorter and will need to get around it.

Good Morning All. Sunny, clear and 70° to start the day here. OK Flo, I'll take some sausage and scrambled eggs this morning if you are able to get away from Louis. Supposed to be cool today with a high only around 88°, maybe not cool to some of you, but for this time of year in North Central Texas, it is!:cool: Pool temperature is perfect at 84°.
I got started on the tractor repair yesterday and after hoisting it up and removing the mower deck, I decided that the job was a bit beyond my ability to do myself. Repair person will be here tomorrow afternoon. Speaking with their scheduler (Sears), was the worst beating that I have had to endure in years. Definitely wasn't from middle America, hard to understand, followed a script and kept telling me about the $99 diagnosis fee despite my repeated explanations that I knew the problem and just wanted the drive belt replaced, and I had already done part of the work. Then the warranty BS. Then despite telling me that they had an opening for today, suddenly informed me that it had to be Thursday...must have already been Wednesday in his world!:mad: Then we went around regarding my non-availability Thursday morning due to a doctor appointment and he explained that I would have to work it out with the repair person over the phone when he called; he (the scheduler) only scheduled days, not times. That's 25 minutes of my life that I won't get back.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the weathering on the various covered hoppers yesterday; Jerome, Johnny, Phil, Garry, Patrick, Justin, Ken, Tom.
Here's a couple of boxcars while I am still in the weathering mode.
First is a Roundhouse car from the last century.
RBOX 37759.JPG

Next is an Athearn Blue Box, also from the last century.
SSW 67373.JPG

Only spent a little bit of time in the train shed yesterday. Pulled a Pikestuff kit out of the stash to add to the waning peninsula project, a concrete block model of a tire store. Looked at it a bit and decided how I was going to assemble it differently than intended. Pictures tomorrow. I also ran trains and made a few trees.

Johnny - Boredom after retirement is a real issue with some people. I realized it long before retiring as you have obviously done. I once had a boss who had retired three times and said "that you can only go fishing so many days a week!". It does appear that you have plenty to do (add that garden to the list) with a little extra time for travel. Your wife might consider volunteering at a local school reading to youngsters along with the other things that she likes. I have actually found that I am more busy now that I am retired. I started a little earlier than you, at 63.
Other than your wife's desire to be closer to relatives, I agree with Garry, why move? You're close enough to East Texas to visit more often.
Garry - Like the bakery.
Justin - Good to see you post. I know that you have been lurking. Great Father's Day gift.
Phil - Good to read that you survived the dental visit.
Tom/Chad - One is never too young to retire. People told me that I was too young to retire, I simply stated that I'm not too young to retire, just too young to collect regular Social Security.
Louis - Good to see that you're back into your old form. Continued good luck with your new lifestyle!

Time to go, busy day today. Everybody have a great day.

Good morning, 68 and sunny. Headed for 80's, hit 79 yesterday. Supposed to get some thunder tonight then 80 and 90's for a few days.

Cub (our grocery chain) was out of Total corn flakes so the wife substituted Lucky Charms. That works for me.

I got a call from our Attorney concerning the estate and a final meeting is set for Aug 18. He assured this would be the absolute final step then the funds can be disbursed. Very happy to hear that!

THANKS for the comments and likes on the Soo line photo. The more I looked at it the more I liked it. The car was a little out of place on a transition layout, however on the new one it will fit right in!

Tom-- interesting tidbit on the tree frogs keeping the dog awake. When we first moved to the country the spring peepers kept my wife awake. Now she loves to hear them in the spring.

Justin-- I love the Whitcomb Station photo, thanks for sharing it! I spent a couple winters in Wheeling and have a feel for the terrain.

Ken, Willie-- thanks for sharing the weathering jobs, I love to see the excellent results modelers get with their techniques.

Phil-- glad your dentist visit exceeded your expectations. Mine is today at 4:40.

Today's photo is the boarding house. The signs on the house and passenger platform are simply printer jobs. I always had a hard time finding a place for the phone booth, probably too modern for the scene, however, they probably would have one by the platform. Too bad the people are blurry, it is a traveller speaking with the woman that runs the place:

a final view 012.JPG

This is the track entering Grovemont.

More later, Dave

And a good mid morning to all. 9:30 and already 90* and muggy. Not going to trim the tree in this heat.

DAVE- Good luck at the dentist.
I Wish everyone a good day.
Phil

I'd grow my own food if I could find Bacon seeds.

Afternoon All,

Not much going on today. I talked to Phil earlier, he is doing well and his birthday is tomorrow. On the build today I only spent about 90 minutes adding the "metal" to more support blocks, painted follow on parts and put 2 coats of rattle can grey on the gun barrel.

Ken- Great weathering job.

Tom- There's hope for retirement, I did it a couple of days before I turned 59.

Louis- Good to see you in the forum. Thanks for the invite, but I won't be able to make it:)

Patrick- Hope your knee feels better. Maybe a idea for your grandson's layout is to put on removeable legs, so as he grows the layout can be risen in height.

Willie- And Sears wonders why most they're stores are shutdown? Nice weathering.

Dave- Good to hear your ordeal with the house is almost over. Nice layout scene.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Dave- She won't come in in the nice weather to sleep inside but wake her before 9am and she can be a monster.
Curt- I'll have to work at least till 64,I started late working for the town so I need at least 20 years to get a pension.

Good afternoon Shop Dwellers! 88*F and partly cloudy with a slight NW breeze in central MD.

First, THANK YOU one-and-all for the positive feedback on the "historical" photos of the weathered hoppers on my previous layout. It was fun to actually have something to share that was directly relevant to the conversation.

On the mrr front, last night I went to run trains with a local friend who is a disciple of Howard Zane and a quite a talented structure builder. His layout looks like a selectively-compressed version of Howard's world-famous layout. [Wish I'd have thought to snap some pics...dang!]

In other news, I left work early today and borrowed a friend's truck so I could haul my crippled mower to a nearby repair shop. The guy said he'd have it back to me sometime before Fourth o' July. In the meantime one of my son's boyhood friends with a landscape business agreed to mow our lawn for a "non-commercial" cash payment, so now at least I'm no longer dragging my neighbors' property values down...

Willie - I feel your pain on the mower problem. If my son was around, he and I could have a new spindle installed in a few hours. But by myself, there's no way I could get that mowing deck removed and held in a position to reach both top and bottom at the same time.

Dave, glad you're finally seeing some light at the end of that tunnel on the estate settlement.

Tom - I'm in a similar situation, I only worked for small businesses [with correspondingly small benefits] until I turned 40 and was hired with my present employer. Got another four years before I'll be able to retire comfortably...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back