Running Bear's June 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willie: Blackberries are easy...just start one where you don't want it and see how far they spread...lol That's why they grow so well along railroad rights of way.That's where I used to get most of mine. My neighbor actually started with one plant in a garden area along our mutual fence and mine are actually from her patch. I allow them to come into my area because I LOVE blackberries and don't have to trespass anymore to get them. I did tell the neighbor that when she's done trying to keep them to let me know and Ill get rid of mine as well. Mine are growing in clay soil, but I used to oick them growing wild in sandy soil in Michigan as a kid. The best one are the thorny ones though....

The blueberries are a bit more fussy. Most of my bushes are 3-4 years now before they really started and take a lot more work. They like a pretty acidic soil, which takes a bit more work with the clay soils. It also comes down to variety. I managed to find a couple of varieties that do well in the south. One of them is even from eastern Oklahoma.

Afternoon fellers. I've been busy and haven't had much time to post anything. I hope everyone is doing well. Kept myself busy on my vacation. Had a decent Father's day even though I was sunburned from the day prior. Guess that happens when you don't pack the sun screen. Enjoyed y'all's posts. I know I've been quite the lurker lately. Had a tornado touch down here yesterday. Very unusual for West Virginia. Of course being the West Virginians we are people just drove right up to it. Completely oblivious to the fact it was a tornado. Moving on here. As usual I won't leave y'all hanging. I'll share some more pics for y'all to enjoy. First one is my actual Father's day gift. The others are some good old railroading photos.
IMG_20190621_225045904.jpg

20621019_1550930234959252_7099660843108875643_n.jpg

65386784_828673490865938_7748093999524610048_o.jpg

65056330_828853564181264_560762054131056640_n.jpg

Afternoon All,

Some drama in here earlier. The picture couldn't of been that bad because I don't remember it. My wife (moderator on a local forum) always says "if you don't like something, just scroll on by". I called Phil today to wish him good luck with his root canal. He should be done by now. I'll call him tomorrow to she how he's doing.

Spent about 3.5 hours on the kit today on very tedious work. I drilled holes (#78 drill bit/pin vise) and threaded .015 wire in the wooden top and bottom gun barrel supports. Afterwards I applied Hunterline Medium Brown stain on the wood parts, and finally cut out the resin "metal" parts (very fragile) and painted them with Rustoleum Flat Black rattle can.

Justin- What a great Father's Day gift! Very nice coal mine pictures. The station reminds me of the early 1900's pictures of Kittaning Station on Horseshoe Curve.

20190625_120147-2016x1512.jpg

20190625_130626-2016x1512.jpg

20190625_131607-2016x1512.jpg

20190625_143621-2016x1512.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Here's a few more weathered covered hoppers, the first two are antique Athearn Blue Box kits, while the third is an Accurail kit. Like I previously posted, I mostly do light weathering.
View attachment 37548
View attachment 37550
Looks like that car may have visited the West Coast for it's graffiti.
View attachment 37549
Excellent weathering on the ACFs Willie! Your post inspired me to dig thru the archives to May 2008, during the brief period where I modeled CSX, and bring out these guys:

CSXT_4BayCoverdHopper_sm.jpg

CSXT_2BayCovdHopprACF_sm.jpg

Top image is an Athearn Bluebox that I was using to practice my weathering on, second one is a later Athearn RTR. Both are based off proto-photos. I can't use them anymore since I reverted back to B&O 1970-era, they're sitting in a box somewhere in my attic...

Good Afternoon Everyone............Rain and thunderstorms and then sunshine.

The Mrs. the Chief Lawn Cutter somehow lost the discharge chute for the Lawn-Boy and I did a trip to the Dealer for a new replacement part.

Johnny: Trust me you're find lots of things to do while retired. I don't know where the days go? Go for it.

Beady: I missed your picture post, but I hope no one under 18 ever goes to a beach, walks a mall with a Victoria Secret's window display or watches cable television after 9:00 PM! Get the drift???

Ken: Nice weathering job on the covered hopper.

Patrick/Willie: Blue berries grow wild in Wisconsin as well as black/red raspberries and mulberries (great for pies).

Dave: Great as always.

Have to run....

Greg

#########################

Beady for President 2020

It wasn't as bad as I thought. DR. only hit the nerve twice. Don't know which was worse, keeping my mouth wide open for over three hours or damn near freezing. I was so cold my whole body was shivering. Have just a slight ache.

Patrick- There's local winery that produces BLUEBERRY WINE .
Thanks for all the concern and good wishes .
Prayers and Blessings to all
Phil.

IF I was a bird, I know who I'd poop on !

Interesting day, so if most of you guys are retired can I assume that being 52 I'm a youngster.:)
So to really go off subject,I got a new mower,things have dried up,I got the garden planted with some plants that were potted so they are the size they should for this time of the year. Changing some of the landscape around the house and the dog can't sleep at night because the tree frogs keep her up all night.

@CambriaArea51 Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I am feeling young at 53 :) I don't have grandkids -- my 2 kids are still at home (11 / 16)

End of day. Finally. Still 78F at 9pm. Had been cold but warmed up a bit today. Still not summer weather yet.

Prayers to all of you (and yours) with health issues.

Nothing train related to report :(

And I object to your objection. You couldn't handle this privately? While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine, I wonder that you felt it necessary to publicly pass judgment on a post that has been accepted and present in this forum for the better part of a month, and for which other, established, members have indicated their approval (as evidenced by the "like" symbol at the bottom of the post) while none of the rest apparently saw anything worth objection. This makes me question your motives (or judgment, in which case your opinion's validity is in turn questionable).

I did, btw, click on the link to try and see exactly what the problem might be, but the image in question has been deleted. Since I don't remember making the post (and I doubt many others, if any, can remember it either) I cannot say anything more specific about its context or content.

You mention Playboy and Penthouse, however; I therefore assume it had something to do with the female form. You also mention "youngsters." I haven't noticed any here. Not that there couldn't be, of course, but most of us here, myself included, are grandparents yet, as I observed earlier, no one else saw fit to complain.

Yes, the image has now been deleted by the administration or staff, but that's not necessarily indicative. Remember, yours was the apparent sole objection, which would seem to indicate that the administration and staff, themselves, didn't initially see a problem. Why they caved to a single voice at this late date is known only to them. I would suggest, however, that you are likely one of a very few who think that the image would somehow seriously scar any "youngster" old enough and computer-savvy enough to see it.

Changing the subject, slightly, you don't seem to be aware that this particular thread is for general conversation that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with model railroading. This is stated in the thread description on the home page. Folks here talk about a lot of things: trains and modeling, yes, but recent subjects have also included the weather (always the weather), personal and family health, mowing and not mowing the lawn, vacations and pretty much whatever else we want to talk about. It's a place for general discussion among friends. The stated rules only mention that things remain civil; politics and religion are generally frowned upon, but even they make occasional very brief appearances.

In sum, at least half of the topics of discussion in this part of the forum "do not belong in a hobby forum...in the model train community," yet here they are. I for one like it that way.

View attachment 37545
Hmmm. Must be some reason for the Admin. to delete the questionable post..It offended me because I still have my child within me involved in model and real trains..And just because you believe there are no youngsters in this forum does not mean there will be none tomorrow..All the other videos here are amusing and belong here no diff than ones appearing in MR or RMC Mags; wholesome, sarcastic, funny, cute train-related cartoons..
I do wish to thank the administration for understanding my concern about the particular cartoon and removing it. I will argue over this no further..
Mark Harris, Los Angeles

Good morning Everybody!

Sorry for being AWOL, again.

I can't get into the "zone" with this new routine, but I have done a little better health wise. It's not easy changing a routine I spent over 40 years establishing. It turns out it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks, but not impossible.

I skimmed through the posts I missed, looked at most of the pictures that is. I did not have time to read them all, sorry again.

Terry, all three of my kids have "cut the cable". Two of them only use Comcast for Internet and one has Verizon's FIOS. I'm a "stick in the mud", I'm still paying $275 a month for my cable bundle; phone including international long distance, 1 GB Internet and premium cable service from comcast. Don't ask me why, the best I can come up with is; it's a loyalty thing and I am happy with all my extra "bells and whistles" Not to mention it makes it easy for my wife to find "Law and Order SVU", the Halmark and Lifetime movie channels. I can even watch Netflix, Amazon Prime video, YouTube and many other apps through comcast, at no extra charge!

I did out cheap two of my kids with my cell phone by going with the T-Mobile senior plan, One has an "off the wall" provider that is the same price as my T-Mobile and the other two are still over paying with Verizon. I've been very happy with T-Mobile, my job depends on a fast and reliable internet connection for the Amazon app to work.

Your HDMI selector, is it a manual selector or does it work automatically? I bought a Phillips automatic HDMI selector, but I have not used it yet. I wanted one that I could choose the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back