Running Bear's June 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the sound of things, we all seem to be getting a lot more rain than normal. Yesterday, we had a full 12 hours of thunderstorms roll through, heading from Wisconsin to Ohio. Otherwise, I think we've had at least a shower every 24 hours for the last month. It's going to be hell for mosquitoes, as soon as they begin hatching (when temps finally hit 80°+).

PS: The thunderstorms caused a power surge at one point late last night which, in turn, tripped the dam break/evacuation alarm in the city. Today, local Facebook groups are full of people asking what it was, or saying they hadn't heard it. Think about that.

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Yesterday my Mom (83 yo) developed a high fever, weakness and a inability to stand. I convinced my parents to go to the ER where she was admitted. The bloodwork shows a infection but they can't seem to figure out what's causing it so she is on IV antibiotics as they try different ones. During her workup they discovered a mass in her right lung that will require a biopsy (what really concerns me) when she is released. Tomorrow she is getting a nuclear stress test and probably Tuesday some time will be the earliest possible release day. Not a good weekend.

Tuesday I have my appointment with the oral surgeon.

Beady- I'm glad you're feeling better.

Sherrel- Great 1:1 photo.

Willie- Nice layout shots and that looks like a lot of rain.

Garry- Nice Twinkie factory and demonstrators.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon All,

Yesterday my Mom (83 yo) developed a high fever, weakness and a inability to stand. I convinced my parents to go to the ER where she was admitted. The bloodwork shows a infection but they can't seem to figure out what's causing it so she is on IV antibiotics as they try different ones. During her workup they discovered a mass in her right lung that will require a biopsy (what really concerns me) when she is released. Tomorrow she is getting a nuclear stress test and probably Tuesday some time will be the earliest possible release day. Not a good weekend.

Tuesday I have my appointment with the oral surgeon.

Beady- I'm glad you're feeling better.

Sherrel- Great 1:1 photo.

Willie- Nice layout shots and that looks like a lot of rain.

Garry- Nice Twinkie factory and demonstrators.

I hope everyone has a good night.
Your mother sounds a bit like my mother. Just now got a phone call from my brother that Mom, age 92, is back in the ER for the 5th time in as many weeks, and will likely be admitted for the 3rd time in that period. She's running 103° temp, and isn't peeing. Other problems include that she has apparently been aspirating bits of food over time, and this debris has settled in her lungs; it can't be removed except via surgery, which isn't an option. There's a host of other things wrong with her, but those are the most immediate. We'll be going to the hospital presently. Good luck to you and yours.

Good afternoon all, checked up on some of the posts and looks like some bad weather going around.

Curt, Beady, hope the medical issues with family (mothers) can be addressed easily. There can be a host of challenges.

Garry, I like the twinkie scene

Chet, the pond area is looking nice. BTW my car broke down in Idaho Falls back in 1979 and I slept in the city park. The police woke me up in the middle of the night but since I was taking the bus out of town the next morning let me sleep there.

The windows came from Tichy maybe get around to finishing my first little bldg in the new scene

Here is a photo of my hand car from the old layout:

handcar.jpg

Thats all for now, see you tomorrow

Dave

Decided to take the Atlas silver SD35 (MRL) apart last night to check out the fitment of the decoder I have for it. I'm not a fan of the clip method of attaching the upper shell used by a number of makers. They may have worked relatively easily on pre-production models for approval, but once in production, becomes a different story.

Nevertheless, it did come apart and I discovered it is not only a DCC ready version, but sound ready as well, having a mounting casting that takes 2 28mm round speakers, facing inwards. Proto 2000 also did this on their late GP20 model, but oddly, not on either the larger GP60 or SD45's, which only had single speakers. I know my SD45 doesn't make good sound and have read criticism of all regarding that, so will look at the available space left above the decoder, once mounted, to sticking a iP6s speaker under the shell's top. The Dynamic brake housing is a clip in piece, so that will help with determining the space.

I will have to remove the fitted lighting board on the SD35, clear it's surface mounted electronics and wiring plugs off and use it as a base to mount the Tsunami TSU-1000 decoder (insulation wrapped) onto. It has SMD's separately mounted on mini circuit boards at each end to supply all lighting via plastic "pipes". No ditch lights are mounted unfortunately.

Good Morning All. 70° and partly cloudy. It's been 36 hours since our last rain. Next one due at 4:00 pm today. A nice humid 90° tomorrow and then rain Wednesday through Friday. Blah! That thunderstorm Saturday killed the chemical balance in the pool. I started over from ground zero yesterday. Good news! It's not nearly as expensive using liquid chlorine (bleach) as the granular stuff. What I did yesterday with acid, stabilizer and bleach cost less than $10, with the granules it would have been around $40. Despite the setback, this year has so far cost $17, by comparison, first two weeks last year cost over $60. I'm happy that I switched to the bleach that I buy at WalMart.
Just OJ for me this morning Flo. I'm doing an early lunch today.
Thanks for the comments and likes yesterday; Sherrel, Curt, Phil, Jerome, Garry.
Sunday is always a short day in the train shed, but I made a little progress on the Masonic Lodge and ran trains. I have a few more pictures of the peninsula project, taken from different angles. I do need to add the fascia/guardrail back to the whole peninsula even though I have had no incidents. Of course then it will block some of the scenery detail that is between the track and layout edge.
06-02-19 008.JPG

As noted before, there will be some vacant lots until I can come up with suitable structures. The non-rail served ones may also move around a bit after I study things a bit more.
06-02-19 010.JPG

Here's a potential addition to the area after I get it built.
06-02-19 009.JPG

It will not be a "Pick and Shovel" manufacturer however; I'll go through my sign collection or download something. The thought is that it is an existing business that pre-dates the more modern industrial park and it will go near the existing flour mill seen to the right.

Sherrel -
WILLIE - You seem to get more rain than anywhere I know of
This year is exceptionally wet. Our average annual rainfall is 38"; so far this year I have recorded 29". Looking back twenty years, I have recorded as little as 18" in 2005 to 65" in 2015! Last month we exceeded our average by 2 1/2 times with 12.5", June's average is 3.5", guess how much I got Saturday? That's right, 3.5". My wettest May however was a year after we moved out here with 21" in 1982. Like i said, it's been exceptionally wet this spring. I probably got more Saturday than you get in an average month!
Garry -
Willie ..... I hope you have canoe.
Thanks for the thought.:) As you can see from comparing the two pictures of the front yard, things mostly drain quickly.
Curt - Prayers for your Mom. And I hope the oral surgeon can fix you up. Of course when you're done with him, it's $$$ for replacements. Don't bother asking how I know this.
Beady - Positive thoughts for your Mom. Must have been rough being hitched behind that horse!;) Oh! That's not from your summer vacation. Never mind then.

Following up on AWOL folks, we haven't seen Mike (Migalito) lately either.
Everyone have a great day.

Good morning y'all. 57° and sunny.

Curt and Beady: Sorry to learn about your respective mother's medical situations.

Curt: Best of luck with the Oral Surgeon. I cringe, thinking about it :rolleyes:.

Beady: Innovative solution...of course, I wouldn't consider that particular issue to be a problem, either. :rolleyes:

Dave: Nice photo. Your old layout had a lot of great detailing. Imagine what the new one will bring. :)

Willie: You keep coming up with interesting ideas, and challenging kits. The Pick and Shovel Building, has character.

Boris

Good morning all, hope it is fair weather and smooth sailing for all today!

I got going on my new little building last night, got the windows in, shutters and door made, also paint. Still need to do the roofing material, put in the stovepipe, should be in a couple days since I have men's group tonight.

Getting pretty busy at work as construction season really ramps up!

Willie, your new large buildings look much more at home with the grass area done

Here is an old photo, shows how I made all my signs, just printed them off and the printer and stuck them to a board. The four stall machine shed took up too much real estate, it got dismantled with a bunch of other stuff:
layout11 002.JPG

I used paper towels or newsprint sprayed flat black for all my tarpaper needs!

more later, Dave

Good morning everyone. 70 and partly sunny. Chance of rain tonight and every day this week - - just what we need around here o_O

My wife and I figured it was time for a "weekend getaway," something we try to do every so often, especially when we feel stressed from work. So we headed for northwest Arkansas, the Rogers/Springdale/Fayetteville area, and spent most of the weekend there, relaxing, shopping, etc. (For my wife, there is no "etc", only "shopping"). Came home Sunday evening and continued working on a gate I'm building - finished painting the fence boards and should be able to put the whole thing up this week - - if it stops raining long enough!

My poor layout must think the engineer, mayor, and governor all died. Fortunately those 1:87 citizens haven't rioted yet and tried to take over the city. Got to get down there and make sure they know the sheriff is in town!!

Willie - you may need to keep a canoe down there by your train barn - I do like the photos of your layout. How wide are your peninsulas? Can you reach the middle from each side?
Dave L&SM - Always enjoy the photos of your layout, too.
Beady - Thanks for the info on the stamps. Will look into getting some myself.

Have a good day everyone.

Howdy .

Beady....... USPS was selling those in Promontory on May 10th. They would cancel them there for stamp collectors.

Curt .... Prayers for your Mom. Please keep us informed.

Dave .... Nice layout photos. I like the sign. I, too, have used the printer to make signs.

Johnny ..... It sounds like you need to spend time with your layout. I hope Dena is doing well.

Willie .... I like your photos of your layout. Thanks for mentioning forum MIA's of the forum. Perhaps, you can keep a list updated.

Cheers.

Good morning. Another nice day with plenty of sun and temps in the mid to upper 70's, FINALLY.

Curt - Sorry to hear about your mom. Hopefully they can figure out what's causing the problem and get her treated so she can return home.

Dave - good photos again. Thumb up.gif

Willie
- Those photos of the flooded areas is something else. Not having power in the train shed isn't good, but all is not lost so long as you have beer. Great photos of the peninsula. It's really coming together and plenty of room for more details.

Gerry - Like the photo of your demonstrators. Good one.

Yesterday afternoon my son and his wife came over and he got my push mower going for me. They don't seem to make LEFT HANDED mowers. With my bum shoulder, I couldn't get it started after sitting all winter. He was nice enough to mow under and around the trees and hedges also.

Managed to get some work done on the pond adding grass and weeds.

thumbnail_20190603_105956.jpg

thumbnail_20190603_105805.jpg

thumbnail_20190603_105751.jpg

Later

Only 89* right now. Humid. About 12:30 actually had three minutes of a rain shower.

Called and spoke to CURT , wished him and his mother got good news from the Dr's.

Did some chores.
Prayers for all,
Phil

Good evening. It's sunny and 78.

The Post Office delivered all our mail from last week, today. Among the items was my property tax bill for my truck. A truck, y'all might remember, that's approaching two years old. Imagine my surprise when I saw my property tax had increased by nearly $150 for this year, even though the truck's tax value had decreased by nearly $6000. The property tax had gone up $3.50 for the trailer, even though its value had dropped to $500 this year from $1200 last year.
I'm also appealing the car's property tax value, which is stated at $10,000, even though I only paid $6500 for it from a licensed dealer. The way that works here is, you pay the tax, then file an appeal. If they decide they overcharged you, they'll send you a check for the overcharge. Not surprisingly, there are very few refund checks sent out.

And out of the hollers of West Virginia....I suppose I can make my presence known again. I have been meaning to stop by and see what's going on. Haven't had time to here lately. Been really busy for me here lately. Speaking of vehicle taxes I had to Shell out $1100 for mine last month. Oh the railroad stuff I could have gotten with that money. Anyways I hope everyone is doing well. Those of y'all in the Midwest I do hope the weather isn't hammering you too hard. Have had some flash floods here but nothing too extreme yet. As per my usual postings. Appalachian coal at its finest!
IMG_20190512_200618008.jpg
IMG_20190512_200537577.jpg
IMG_20190512_200512827.jpg

Good Morning, 62 degrees and Clear Skies. Supposed to have scattered T-Storms latter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. It's 52 and mostly clear.

Justin, when we went through WV last week, and had to take the Turnpike (I-77), the state had doubled the tolls. Last year, we paid $7.50 each way, this year, we paid $15. I saw on the little light-up sign board what 18 wheelers were paying, it was well over $30 at each toll booth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back