Running Bear's July 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a single malt snob
You like what you like, nothing snobbish about it.

I never liked single malt whiskey. I like blended whiskey. My son bought me an expensive single malt scotch whiskey from Costco, I told him "Take it back" A $30 bottle of Jameson can't be beat, but that's me. He kept the scotch but does not like it. I think it is an acquired taste.

Awesome, first one Vulcan bomber i believe? Second has to be Tornado fighter. I have never seen either one in person.

The first time I saw a Vulcan was prior to the Falklands War.

A warm, sunny Sunday morning; well, nearly midday. I went to collect the Sunday newspapers. Not that I read them; even in the 1970s and 80s they were 'propaganda' imo. Dawn liked to read them, especially on a Sunday.
Anyway, I was about hundred yards away from the shop and I could hear a slow, steady drone. I looked up and down the lane; nothing. I looked up; still nothing. The sound getting closer, but not louder.

We are used to fighter aircraft 'screaming' here and there, especially in the North Tyne Valley. This sound was no fighter aircraft.
I was perplexed.

Suddenly and without warning the sky disappeared. Just above the rooftops of the houses; and I mean just above the rooftops, I saw the underbelly of a Vulcan. It must have been travelling at its slowest possible flying speed. It seemed to take ages before daylight appeared. Then a huge roar it rose up in the sky and away.
Magical.

David

Last edited:
Since the topic turned to drinking, here's another bad one:
There is a Brit, a Scott and an Irish sitting in a pub. Each one has a glass of beer in front. It just so happens that a fly falls into every glass. Brittish guy is disgusted, he pushes the glass away murmuring-"Rubbish". Scott grabs the fly, tosses it behind and starts to sip his beer. Irish guy grabs the fly by the wings out of his beer, holds it over the glass and screams-"Spit it out! Spit it out you bastard!!"

Good Morning All. Clear and 82° heading up to a much cooler 104° today after reaching 109° yesterday. We get a break from triple digits for the weekend with 102° returning Monday. Rain? What's that?

Another day today filled with medical stuff. Starts at 8:00 with the semi-annual dermatologist visit. I'm not sure why I still see him. He removed a cancerous spot 5 or 6 years ago and nothing has returned. Oh well! Medicare is paying so why not. Then I'll return paperwork to the ophthalmologist's office before heading to see my primary care doctor and review last weeks events.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I completed the re-paint of the home.
View attachment 171772View attachment 171773View attachment 171774View attachment 171775

Troy - Happy Anniversary.
Karl - Thanks for the comment on the barn. It is one of very few scratchbuilt structures that I have done. I don't count those made with DPM or Pikestuff walls.
Tom O - My first visit to the ophthalmologist was a year and a half ago when he said that they weren't bad enough at the time. But the cloudiness has gotten worse in the right eye so I will do both so they match.
Sherrel - Great airport story as usual!
Mikey - Great suggestion as usual, but too late since I have already gone too far.

Gotta go now as doctor is 25 miles away.
Everybody have a great day
Model railroading imitating real life. Had to re-paint the wood sided house because of sunlight......pretty much the same reason these wood sided houses need to be re-painted in real life.

On cleaning coffee makers.

According to experts at Mr Coffee...... (not me)
Clean coffee maker once a month.
Use a fifty/fifty mix of distilled white vinegar and distilled water.
Fill coffee maker to full and run this cleaning mixture through the brew cycle twice.
Most important is to run plain water through the coffee maker after using the vinegar/distilled water cleaning mixture.
While filling a coffee maker reservoir at night so it will be ready for morning seems to be time saving move, this practice is not recommended.
Always use fresh, clean water for each pot/cup of fresh coffee.

I live in the country and have well water. The water here is high in mineral content and has a few coliforms. So I use bottled water for drinking, cooking and coffee making. I finally just went to Folgers classic roast instant coffee and gave up on the cleaning of my Mr Coffee brewer. I also now only drink one cup of coffee in the morning so the instant thing works for me in saving a buck.

Oh well......thats my two cents worth today.

Enjoy your cup of Joe and have a great day !!!

The front of the Avro Vulcan

IMG_5632.JPG

'Balmoral' of the coast of Aberdeenshire, Scotland

Balmoral off coast of  Aberdeenshire 21st June 2023.jpg

Hetton Colliery locomotive. Thought at one time to have been built 1819. Actually built in 1826

IMG_2359.JPG

Goodnight all.

David

Good Evening All,

I'mmmmm back. :D

Today I started out with a trip to the VA for a blood draw that is needed for some reason for a throat Cat Scan next week. It was magical. I went in, pulled a number, went to sit down and my number was called! 😲. On the other side of the coin, I found out I have a benign heart block that over time will put me at risk for A-Fib and CHF. Joy.

Coffee- My tastebuds can't tell the difference between cheap and expensive coffee as long as it's fresh. No coffee snob here.

Willie- Good luck with the eyes. The thought of anything touching my eyes skizzes me out. I could of got contact lenses in the Navy because of my duties but I declined. Just couldn't do it. Nice job on the house. When I grew up in West TX I would complain about the heat and Dad would say but it's a dry heat.:rolleyes:

Troy- That setup looks complicated for a cup of coffee.

Louis- Interesting photo. Nice looking cabin car. You're all set for Christmas.

I held Stormy for about 90 minutes last night and she ended up falling asleep on me. Disregard the ugly mug next to her.

20230718_210029.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good evening from Camp Swampy, where it's (still) raining heavily and 76. It's been raining heavily off and on since Saturday, and I am currently surrounded by water where I am living. It was pretty dry here for June, which traditionally is a pretty wet month here, but it's been making up for lost time.

The thought of anything touching my eyes skizzes me out.
I actually feel the same way. My vision is good overall, I have used readers for about 12 years, but that's it. It's the haziness/cloudiness in my right eye that bothers me. I know it's present in the left eye but to a far lesser extent. As much as I hate to, my wife convinced me to go through with the cataract surgery. She had both eyes done about two years ago, and lived!!! I shuddered when I watched the video in the doctors office yesterday, removing the natural lens and inserting an artificial one! Terrifying to me. Not only that, but you are awake during the procedure! I hate doctors anyway, but I am going to bite the bullet and do this. It is going to add seven doctor visits, including the two surgeries, to my schedule over the next 40 days. Another PITA, as each one is a 50 mile round trip. Several Coffee Shop visitors have extolled the results though.
The other thing that still bothers me is the amount of time that the Ophthalmologist spent explaining that it is not always successful and there could be serious side effects. That's bothersome as well. Add to that, he had two staff members in the room during the explanation who also signed off as witnesses on the release!o_O

Good evening from Camp Swampy, where it's (still) raining heavily and 76. It's been raining heavily off and on since Saturday, and I am currently surrounded by water where I am living. It was pretty dry here for June, which traditionally is a pretty wet month here, but it's been making up for lost time.
You might need one of those rock salt guns to shoot down the enemy aircraft (skeeters) that all that rain can bring!

I actually feel the same way. My vision is good overall, I have used readers for about 12 years, but that's it. It's the haziness/cloudiness in my right eye that bothers me. I know it's present in the left eye but to a far lesser extent. As much as I hate to, my wife convinced me to go through with the cataract surgery. She had both eyes done about two years ago, and lived!!! I shuddered when I watched the video in the doctors office yesterday, removing the natural lens and inserting an artificial one! Terrifying to me. Not only that, but you are awake during the procedure! I hate doctors anyway, but I am going to bite the bullet and do this. It is going to add seven doctor visits, including the two surgeries, to my schedule over the next 40 days. Another PITA, as each one is a 50 mile round trip. Several Coffee Shop visitors have extolled the results though.
The other thing that still bothers me is the amount of time that the Ophthalmologist spent explaining that it is not always successful and there could be serious side effects. That's bothersome as well. Add to that, he had two staff members in the room during the explanation who also signed off as witnesses on the release!o_O
Sort of freaks ya out, eh? I also feel skizzie at the thought of Cataract surgery, which is coming sooner rather than later. Not for nothin, the Heart surgery didn't make me as nervous as the thought of someone/something touching my eyes.

You like what you like, nothing snobbish about it.

I never liked single malt whiskey. I like blended whiskey. My son bought me an expensive single malt scotch whiskey from Costco, I told him "Take it back" A $30 bottle of Jameson can't be beat, but that's me. He kept the scotch but does not like it. I think it is an acquired taste.
Louis, I drink Black Velvet sometimes with 7 or just straight. Not the best or the worst but I’m a a guy that can enjoy anything I’m willing to try. I like to experiment tho 🍷

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back