Running Bear's July 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning Everybody!

1689833207908.png

Last edited:
Well, howdy there internet peeps and those in armed combat against Mosquitos!

It's Troy again.

Staying mostly inside over the next few days. I'll give you one guess as to why...

Today's fire map:
Screen Shot 2023-07-20 at 5.20.35 AM.png

When it comes to whisky and bourbon, here's what's on my shelf:

Maker's Mark - Wheat forward bourbon
Bulliet Rye
Larceny - wheat forward bourbon

I currently have a bottle of Elija Craig Small batch.

Screen Shot 2023-07-20 at 5.26.32 AM.png

You'll notice a lack of the Bulleit Rye... because on the last Costco run, I stupidly thought "I can remember I need it" and when I got the whisky aisle, I grabbed another Larceny bottle.

Fortunately, today is another costco run.

The JB Honey is for making Hot Toddy's when I have a sore throat. It rarely gets used.

Good morning. 68° and foggy. Forecast 85° and sunny!

The Orioles face their biggest challenge, the four game series at Tampa Bay. Good Luck Birds!

Fun Facts: The Yankees are in Last Place in their conference, with a 50 - 47 Record. The Mets are Not in Last Place in their conference, with a 45 - 50 Record. (Washington with a significantly worse record is locked into last in Conference).
Baltimore is in first place when measured against the rest of the American League, Oakland is in Last. Atlanta, is first in the National league, Colorado is last.
When measuring all 30 MLB teams, Atlanta is first, (Baltimore is second), Kansas City is 29th. and Oakland is 30th.

Started my at home weight training program yesterday, utilizing my new adjustable bench. 1 set, 3 reps, five exercises, 5 lb dumb bells. easy peasy. Damn I hurt this morning. Need a whole lot more work. Meanwhile, my weight dropped below 146 yesterday. Haven't been that light since sometime in high school. Not sure that is a good thing, although I'm still "average" according to the BMI standard.

"Your BMI is 20.3, indicating your weight is in the Healthy Weight category for adults of your height. BMI is a screening measure and is not intended to diagnose disease or illness". (CDC)

Which brings up another question, If BMI is a screening measure, and is not intended to diagnose disease or illness, why the big deal, if one is outside the Healthy Weight range? Curious minds want to know.

CSX 1973 leading I032 - 10 Southward at Holmes PA - Phily sub - Steph Sams.jpg

CSX 1973, the "Chessie" Heritage unit, leads I032-10 through Holmes, PA - Steph Sams photo.

I actually feel the same way. My vision is good overall, I have used readers for about 12 years, but that's it. It's the haziness/cloudiness in my right eye that bothers me. I know it's present in the left eye but to a far lesser extent. As much as I hate to, my wife convinced me to go through with the cataract surgery. She had both eyes done about two years ago, and lived!!! I shuddered when I watched the video in the doctors office yesterday, removing the natural lens and inserting an artificial one! Terrifying to me. Not only that, but you are awake during the procedure! I hate doctors anyway, but I am going to bite the bullet and do this. It is going to add seven doctor visits, including the two surgeries, to my schedule over the next 40 days. Another PITA, as each one is a 50 mile round trip. Several Coffee Shop visitors have extolled the results though.
The other thing that still bothers me is the amount of time that the Ophthalmologist spent explaining that it is not always successful and there could be serious side effects. That's bothersome as well. Add to that, he had two staff members in the room during the explanation who also signed off as witnesses on the release!o_O
Willie, I felt the same ways about my eyes as you and Curt. At first I couldn’t afford contacts but then when able, I just couldn’t put anything in my eyes. Truly though, the surgery was a piece of cake, into surgery and out in no time. Easiest procedure I have ever had done. The change as I wrote the other day was unbelievably great

Good Evening All,

I'mmmmm back. :D

Today I started out with a trip to the VA for a blood draw that is needed for some reason for a throat Cat Scan next week. It was magical. I went in, pulled a number, went to sit down and my number was called! 😲. On the other side of the coin, I found out I have a benign heart block that over time will put me at risk for A-Fib and CHF. Joy.

Coffee- My tastebuds can't tell the difference between cheap and expensive coffee as long as it's fresh. No coffee snob here.

Willie- Good luck with the eyes. The thought of anything touching my eyes skizzes me out. I could of got contact lenses in the Navy because of my duties but I declined. Just couldn't do it. Nice job on the house. When I grew up in West TX I would complain about the heat and Dad would say but it's a dry heat.:rolleyes:

Troy- That setup looks complicated for a cup of coffee.

Louis- Interesting photo. Nice looking cabin car. You're all set for Christmas.

I held Stormy for about 90 minutes last night and she ended up falling asleep on me. Disregard the ugly mug next to her.

View attachment 171793

I hope everyone has a good night.
Curt, I have a longer response to Willie but it was by far the easiest procedure I have ever gone through. The results are amazing.

Good morning. 68° and foggy. Forecast 85° and sunny!

The Orioles face their biggest challenge, the four game series at Tampa Bay. Good Luck Birds!

Fun Facts: The Yankees are in Last Place in their conference, with a 50 - 47 Record. The Mets are Not in Last Place in their conference, with a 45 - 50 Record. (Washington with a significantly worse record is locked into last in Conference).
Baltimore is in first place when measured against the rest of the American League, Oakland is in Last. Atlanta, is first in the National league, Colorado is last.
When measuring all 30 MLB teams, Atlanta is first, (Baltimore is second), Kansas City is 29th. and Oakland is 30th.

Started my at home weight training program yesterday, utilizing my new adjustable bench. 1 set, 3 reps, five exercises, 5 lb dumb bells. easy peasy. Damn I hurt this morning. Need a whole lot more work. Meanwhile, my weight dropped below 146 yesterday. Haven't been that light since sometime in high school. Not sure that is a good thing, although I'm still "average" according to the BMI standard.

"Your BMI is 20.3, indicating your weight is in the Healthy Weight category for adults of your height. BMI is a screening measure and is not intended to diagnose disease or illness". (CDC)

Which brings up another question, If BMI is a screening measure, and is not intended to diagnose disease or illness, why the big deal, if one is outside the Healthy Weight range? Curious minds want to know.

View attachment 171806
CSX 1973, the "Chessie" Heritage unit, leads I032-10 through Holmes, PA - Steph Sams photo.
My medical team, the GP, Endocrinologist and physical therapist all believe that if you are comfortable in a range of weight that’s ok. They set target goals and that’s what I strive for. No way could I be at 160 pounds like I was at high school graduation. I’d never eat anything but lettuce…

Good morning, goobers, and raisinettes!

68° this morning under cloudy skies, only looking for a high of 88°. AQI is now a pleasant 35 much better than yesterday. Looking at the fire map that Troy provided, it looks to be like North America is exceedingly mad in a cartoon sort of way.
BBL

Good morning, coffee drinkers, coffee pot cleaners, BMI index watchers, those confused by what a golf skin is and Canadian smoke haze receivers. So. Central WIsconsin seems to have a slight haze to it. The AQ index is at 48 and will be hitting the 100’s later today. The temperature should get to around 80.

Fortunately today is a day of recovery from the golf and good food of the last few days after a good breakfast this morning. I am having a toasted Cinnamon Raisin English muffin and maybe a second diet Dr Pepper. Then I will cut the lawn. First time I will have cut since May before I left on the travels. I did have it cut twice while gone but since I got home June 19th it hasn’t needed it.

The 13 traveling golfers, 2 area friends and me had a pretty good time for a truly last minute get together. The 13 are flying out this morning. The Nova Scotia trip has been rescheduled to 8/15 and messes up the return to Maui for me as that was when I was leaving.

Around 11pm last night I checked my text messages and the guy who purchased my weathered gondolas that were shipped Monday received them. Loved them, asked to confirm address as he is sending me 10 locomotives to weather. That’s a big deal for me and I’m thrilled.

enjoy the day

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 82°. We should see 105° after 107° yesterday. The NWS has extended the triple digits to include tomorrow, then a two day respite.

Grocery trek day is today, I don't know what other stops my wife may add.

The visit to my primary care doctor yesterday was unusual in several ways. First of all, I arrived 15 minutes early and they ushered me immediately in, no waiting. Secondly his office has FINALLY dropped their mask requirement, and lastly, he and his PA saw me for over 40 minutes instead of the quick in and out usually done. Must have set him behind because when I left, there were 9 folks in the waiting room plus I don't know how many others in the other exam rooms. Downside is that I have three more appointments in the next two weeks, two for various sonograms and a follow up after the blood draw yesterday. He's determined to discover what the hospital last week couldn't discover.
Meanwhile the earlier visit to the dermatologist was all clear.

No time spent in the train shed yesterday, as I went from medical appointments, to lunch, a nap, and then to the pool.
So I'll post some repeats from the archive.
Washing the dogs.
12-22-12 009.JPG
12-26-13 029.JPG

06-25-20 012.JPG

Tom O - Likewise, I never have to wash my Sugar-Free A&W Root beer cans or my Heineken bottles.
Louis - No spending mandate here, I just stopped buying freight cars because I had enough.
Curt - In addition to what I posted yesterday evening, I have a lot of trouble even putting eye drops in my eyes.

I don't drink whiskey or coffee, or watch baseball, so that limits my comments this morning; although there were some rather interesting posts yesterday.
Everybody have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back