Running Bear's July 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Never made it to Jon's today because it slipped until tomorrow. Based on that I did chores outside and inside then my son and I went to the gun club and shot for awhile.

ACL-CSX- That's a great analogy.

Joe- Fun times. At least we were young.

Willie- Great looking barn. Are you going to put a weather vane on it? I would trim as much of the clear plastic as I could, paint what's left in road color and glued them down.

VA Ken- I looked at the track plan and thought holy crap!

Sherrel- Our mud room is the front entry way.

Chet- Really nice rail shot.

Greg- Sounds like it will be a great scene.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Seems like summer's "To Do" lists are interfering with my model railroading. Worked on the layout for a hour and a half, now waiting for base color paint to dry. In the mean time doing small jobs around the house that I been putting off, but I see lots of other work to be accomplished during the summer. The list keeps adding up and I think I'll spend two days a week catching up.

I once set a goal of doing two, non-routine household tasks a day, and that lasted a week. Have to get back on track.

See Chet....what you can look forward to in your retirement days!

Enough said.

Greg

good afternoon. Up to 81 degrees with a nice light breeze.

Greg - I am finding that out.

Got the entire yard mowed before the heat came in. Here's the photos of what we got done yesterday for the wife.

IMAG1185.jpg

This was last year where just to the right of the porch we had a tree removed because it got a lot larger that it was supposed to. It was sitting in the white rocks and was only supposed to get up to 4 feet in diameter. Got up to about 10 feet. Killed all of the grass in th elower right of the photo.

20180705_124907.jpg

Between the two bastment windows, we had a raised flower box in cinder blocks. The bushes to the right were the ones I had taken down to the grounf. They were up to the bottom of the windows on the main level. The bushes between the basement windows will get from two and a half to three feet tall and will flower all summer. Got all of the mulch in and now there is some continuity. They should look pretty good by the end of summer. Had to put a small wire fence in temporarily so the dogs wouldn't pee on the new grass coming up by the porch steps. My wife commented about my shovel and how the handle was old, dry and about to break. Told here that the holes for her bushes were going to be the last ones that I dig. Don't need a new shovel unless it has a seat and motor on it.

Mud ??? That's iur 5th season up here.

Terry, Jesse, and Curt all nailed it on the "XXX room".:D

Willie: Good work on the barn - shingles look just like the ones I made long-long ago! I think I may still have scissor blisters from cutting all those strips!:eek:

Chet -- Nice looking ... want to come do some work here?

We finally broke the 100 mark this year. It's 103 outside at the moment - even with 15% humidity the "heat index" says 106. o_O
Here's a track photo for you!
Frisco 12 st Yard looking south 1960.jpg

The mud room got quite a bit of discussion, don't have one ourselves, unless you count the covered area outside the back door. I guess there's quite a few on the farms in the surrounding areas.

The mud room got quite a bit of discussion, don't have one ourselves, unless you count the covered area outside the back door. I guess there's quite a few on the farms in the surrounding areas.
In this area, that is called the back stoop.

I know this is a day late and a dollar short but this is too cool to pass up on not posting on here.

Attachments

• nw1776a.jpg
    nw1776a.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 151
good afternoon. Up to 81 degrees with a nice light breeze.

Greg - I am finding that out.

Got the entire yard mowed before the heat came in. Here's the photos of what we got done yesterday for the wife.

View attachment 28951

This was last year where just to the right of the porch we had a tree removed because it got a lot larger that it was supposed to. It was sitting in the white rocks and was only supposed to get up to 4 feet in diameter. Got up to about 10 feet. Killed all of the grass in th elower right of the photo.

View attachment 28952

Between the two bastment windows, we had a raised flower box in cinder blocks. The bushes to the right were the ones I had taken down to the grounf. They were up to the bottom of the windows on the main level. The bushes between the basement windows will get from two and a half to three feet tall and will flower all summer. Got all of the mulch in and now there is some continuity. They should look pretty good by the end of summer. Had to put a small wire fence in temporarily so the dogs wouldn't pee on the new grass coming up by the porch steps. My wife commented about my shovel and how the handle was old, dry and about to break. Told here that the holes for her bushes were going to be the last ones that I dig. Don't need a new shovel unless it has a seat and motor on it.

Mud ??? That's iur 5th season up here.
The other 4 are: construction, almost winter, winter & still winter, yes? Or no?

In this area, that is called the back stoop.
Yes, I was aware of that name for an outside sitting place "settin' on the Stoop". Think I first heard that from the Ma and Pa Kettle movies. (nuttin' wrong wit' me memry, eh!) Now where'd I put me stick?

Good morning all. Currently 72. High today is under 90, but that's because there is a 70% chance of rain. Hopefully it will hold off, too much to do today and no days to reschedule it.

Not much from the railroad today. Still waiting for the new to me track to come in. Hopefully I'll get some time soon to start working on an equipment roster and maybe some engine maintenance. I really need to start collecting some paint and weathering powders too. Going to need to start working on the scenery for the yard. I think I'm going to try my hand at scratch building my diesel shop from craft wood instead of the cardboard I've been using. The last time I tried to paint the cardboard it curled up and became very difficult to work with.

While I have to agree on the peaceful appearance of our most recent seaside scene, I feel it is my duty to point out that we are still experiencing a deficit of bikini clad women.

Hope everyone has a great day. It may be a while before we hear from Sherrel again if he's in the "xxx" room. Lol

Good morning everyone. 76 heading for 91 today. Cooldown coming this weekend :p, maybe some rain next week.

Willie - That's some nice work on that barn. On the bicyclists, unless you want to move them from place to place on the layout, just remove the plastic and glue them in place?
Chet - nice work on that landscaping around your place. Want another job?
Garry - the lake and stream are taking longer than I thought, but should look okay by the time i do the landscaping around them.

I hate this - not getting much train room time these days 'cause of so much work to do outside (mowing, garden, etc.) and shopping for remodeling items. My poor layout must think the engineer died o_O Hopefully this weekend . . .

I smell a pot of coffee!! Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 73° and partly cloudy. Only made it to 92° yesterday, the cool front continues. Forecast is calling for scattered thunderstorms Monday and isolated thunderstorms Tuesday. What's the difference between scattered and isolated???:confused: My foundation repair guys made it out yesterday to make some minor adjustments to the pier and beam foundation that they replaced ten years ago. Wasn't bad, they jacked up slightly at three piers (less than .5") and installed two more piers w/ short beam at an unexpected problem spot under a non-load bearing wall. An hour and fifteen minutes later and $400 lighter and they were done. Granddog was absolutely enthralled that there were four humans crawling around under the house and had to sniff each one as they came out and back under. I used to do this kind of leveling myself until it became more difficult for me to fit! After the job was done, I cooled off in the pool with a couple of beers. Hard work. Bathroom remodel contractor let us know that his helper returned safely from Mexico and that they will be back Monday to start with the tile work.

Thanks for the comments regarding yesterday's pictures, Garry, Johnny, Chet, Curt, Sherrel, and anyone that I may have missed. Still intend to weather the barn and add some more minor details once it is "planted".
Out in the train shed, I marveled at the empty workbench, an unusual sight. I spent some time adding more ground cover to some areas along the track that I ballasted last year. It's not my next project area but I had all of the materials out already. Did some maintenance on several container well cars that have been giving me problems. Replaced some failed McHenry couplers and re-adjusted the coupler height by removing Kadee Gray washers. Repaired some upright end grabs. I am not sure how many additional McHenry's that I have on the layout, but I am at the point that I need another bulk pack of Kadee #148's. I could run a query in my freight car database to find out, but I don't think of it when I have it opened.

No mudrooms here, I just track it through the kitchen. (Willie dodges projectiles).

Johnny - The sticker shock wasn't too bad with our remodel, mainly since I had never priced these items before. $500 for a vanity with sink and no fixtures seemed reasonable and all of the different tiles didn't really add up to much. But $43 for a towel rack seemed exorbitant. My labor rate works out to about $40/hour and he pays the helper. Don't fret the time that you are spending on the lake and stream, just remember how long it took the Good Lord to do the real thing. Being able to move the cyclists is the main reason that I didn't glue them directly to the street. But that is the option of last resort if I don't find an alternative.
Greg - Sounds like you're moving right along. I like that Bar Mills fencing, I use a lot of it. Cheap and easy.
Curt - I intend to put a weather vane on the barn, hoping to find one stashed in the extra parts boxes. If not, I will find a suitable picture on the Internet and size it and print a pair of reverse copies on 65# paper to use. When I weather it, I also intend to add a lighting rod, an ever present feature on most older barns.
Chet - Landscaping looks good. I finally broke down and started buying all of my garden/landscaping tools with metal handles about seven or eight years ago. Beats the old yearly application of Neatsfoot Oil to the handles which didn't really seem to add many years to their life. Of course if I'd remembered to put them away every time that I used them, that might have helped.

Everybody have a great day and a good upcoming weekend. Wife returns tomorrow and surprisingly I really don't have much to straighten up. She'll find something to comment on anyway.

I'm going to share a pic that brought a smile to my face. One because I remember this happening to me on the first day of basic training at Ft. Benning, GA. However mine happened when BDUs and black polished boots were still a thing. I remember I thought I was going to die! It's the moment you ask yourself just what in the world did I get myself into? Really fond memories and I would do it all over again with no regrets. Happy Friday everyone!

Attachments

• 36732143_1169277926544668_6494931849469493248_n.jpg
    36732143_1169277926544668_6494931849469493248_n.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 162
Good morning .... In a thunder storm now. Should cool off the weather for this weekend. .... Air conditioners have been running up my electric bill significantly over the past week.

Karl .... That looks like a very nice marina. Sounds like you are very happy, and I'm glad you are/

Johnny ..... I know what you mean about Non-Model-Railroad-Stuff interfering with progress on the layout.

On the layout, I'm completing the background scenery project that includes the tunnel access. Not ready for photos yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back